Tabata or not Tabata

Options
That is the question ~smiles~

I LOVE Tabatas. It's fast, can be whatever you want, and you are encouraged to work to failure. It's a HIIT work out (high intensity interval training). It breaks 4 minutes into seconds. You work HARD for 20 seconds, rest for 10. Work HARD for 20, then rest for 10, and so on and so on. You can tailor it to YOUR needs. If you've got crummy knees, then avoid impact. If you have lower back issues, you know what you can and can't do. For anyone who is short on time, I think doing a 4 minute tabata will kick start the metabolism and confidence (that doesn't include a little warm up). Sweat to failure!

Here is a link that I believe to be free information (not selling you anything).
http://tabatatraining.org/

Here is a link on youtube of music that i like to use. It's broken down and has the timing marked for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okA7B5vsIYU

There are music compilations out there just for tabatas. Its nice because they break the seconds down for you.

I occasionally go to a Tabata class at my gym. It's a 45 minute class with warm up, 8 (EIGHT!) of the 4 minute tabatas that will range from strength training, abs, cardio. Between each of the 4 minutes we are given 1.5 minutes of rest. There is then a cool down.

I think Tabatas (this certain interval timing) is nice because we can bust our behinds for 20 seconds! Jumping jacks for 20 seconds. Sit down-stand up for 20 seconds. How ever intense YOU want it. Not someone else.. YOU... sweat to failure and then smile because you WILL do this!

Replies

• mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    I LOVE tabata
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Love them! I have had a hard splint on my right hand for a while and I can't lift anything heavy, so I have been doing these with resistance bands and/or my rebounder (like a little trampoline).
  • amymaytay
    amymaytay Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    very interesting, i may have to try this, thanks for the info!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    That is the question ~smiles~

I LOVE Tabatas. It's fast, can be whatever you want, and you are encouraged to work to failure. It's a HIIT work out (high intensity interval training). It breaks 4 minutes into seconds. You work HARD for 20 seconds, rest for 10. Work HARD for 20, then rest for 10, and so on and so on. You can tailor it to YOUR needs. If you've got crummy knees, then avoid impact. If you have lower back issues, you know what you can and can't do. For anyone who is short on time, I think doing a 4 minute tabata will kick start the metabolism and confidence (that doesn't include a little warm up). Sweat to failure!

Here is a link that I believe to be free information (not selling you anything).
    http://tabatatraining.org/

Here is a link on youtube of music that i like to use. It's broken down and has the timing marked for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okA7B5vsIYU

There are music compilations out there just for tabatas. Its nice because they break the seconds down for you.

I occasionally go to a Tabata class at my gym. It's a 45 minute class with warm up, 8 (EIGHT!) of the 4 minute tabatas that will range from strength training, abs, cardio. Between each of the 4 minutes we are given 1.5 minutes of rest. There is then a cool down.

I think Tabatas (this certain interval timing) is nice because we can bust our behinds for 20 seconds! Jumping jacks for 20 seconds. Sit down-stand up for 20 seconds. How ever intense YOU want it. Not someone else.. YOU... sweat to failure and then smile because you WILL do this!
    What you're describing is HIT training. True Tabata is 100% effort in the the 4 minutes. By the second or third cycle you should be practically falling over from gasping of air.
    If one can go 45 minutes of training, then it's not Tabata or HIIT training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TrracyGirl
    TrracyGirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The 45 minute HIIT class I mentioned has a total of 8 Tabatas. Eight of the 4 minute cycles. There are some warm up and cool down minutes as well. Between cycles there is a rest period. The Tabatas are designed so that different areas are worked. Say our first Tabata is cardio. Then the next would be just abs. Then strengthening the legs, then arms, perhaps another cardio. The certified Tabata instructor for the Hospital's Fitness Center does a fantastic job of the variations! And yes.. Oh... My.. GOSH yes by the end you will collapse. :D It is the hardest class I've seen. I've seen very fit people fall off by the end of one of the cycles. It's also greatly encouraged that if you participate in these classes regularly (they are 3 days a week) to please not attend any other HIIT classes.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I used to do tabata a few times a week with squats when I couldn't get to the gym. Loved it and made such a difference! Going to start going to the tabata class at my gym next week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    The 45 minute HIIT class I mentioned has a total of 8 Tabatas. Eight of the 4 minute cycles. There are some warm up and cool down minutes as well. Between cycles there is a rest period. The Tabatas are designed so that different areas are worked. Say our first Tabata is cardio. Then the next would be just abs. Then strengthening the legs, then arms, perhaps another cardio. The certified Tabata instructor for the Hospital's Fitness Center does a fantastic job of the variations! And yes.. Oh... My.. GOSH yes by the end you will collapse. :D It is the hardest class I've seen. I've seen very fit people fall off by the end of one of the cycles. It's also greatly encouraged that if you participate in these classes regularly (they are 3 days a week) to please not attend any other HIIT classes.
    Sorry it's not Tabata. Tabata is 100% ALL OUT EFFORT. If you can sustain that for 45 minutes, then it's not Tabata. You may be tired at the end of the class, but chances are it was an 85% to 90% effort.
    Here's a challenge. Warm up for a run. Then sprint as fast as you can for 20 seconds like your life depended on it. 10 seconds off and then sprint again as fast as you can for 20 seconds like your life depended on it.10 seconds off. Bet you can't do that for 45 minutes. Not a run a sprint. That means you're racing for time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I love tabata but I am afraid to try sprinting on the treadmill for this; so far I've only done jump rope and stationary bike (and only 4 minutes total)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sorry it's not Tabata. Tabata is 100% ALL OUT EFFORT. If you can sustain that for 45 minutes, then it's not Tabata. You may be tired at the end of the class, but chances are it was an 85% to 90% effort.
    Here's a challenge. Warm up for a run. Then sprint as fast as you can for 20 seconds like your life depended on it. 10 seconds off and then sprint again as fast as you can for 20 seconds like your life depended on it.10 seconds off. Bet you can't do that for 45 minutes. Not a run a sprint. That means you're racing for time.

THIS. Tabata is 170% VO2max for 20 seconds, 10 seconds rest, for 8 reps. A 4 minute Tabata session should leave you barely able to stand. HIIT training is cool, but if you're doing 45 minutes of it, it is not Tabata.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

THIS. Tabata is 170% VO2max for 20 seconds, 10 seconds rest, for 8 reps. A 4 minute Tabata session should leave you barely able to stand. HIIT training is cool, but if you're doing 45 minutes of it, it is not Tabata.
    Even if they call it Tabata.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My Spinning instructor loves Tabata.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Even if they call it Tabata.
    BUT THEY SAID IT WAS TABATA!

MY LIFE IS A LIE.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Nobody talks nonsense about Tabata. :angry:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Tomato potato, whatever.

So it's HIIT training called Tabata. What's the big freakin' deal?

Yes, I have done a TABATA class at the Y and I LOVE it. It's a great workout and I actually have an app on my Android that is a timer so I can do similar workout at home.

OH NOEZ IT'S NOT REALLY TABATA WAH WAH WAH
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    On the bright side, now you know you can get the same benefit of that workout in a tenth of the time. ~smiles~
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    I looovvvee Tabata!! honestly i think its the only thing that really helped me get over my plateau... i try to do tabata 2 or 3 times a week right now
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Nobody talks nonsense about Tabata. :angry:

tapatio.jpg
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    They are a love hate relationship with me. Love the results....hate going thru the 4 min of hell!!!