Tabata or not Tabata

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    On the bright side, now you know you can get the same benefit of that workout in a tenth of the time. ~smiles~

Also OP.

There's no reason why you can't do Tabata 11 seperate times in one day. If you really would like to work out for 45 minutes just do eleven sets of Tabata sprinkled throughout your day. Approximately once per hour.
  • JScar1964
    JScar1964 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All I know it that when I was introduced to it we did weightless squats (all out effort) and my legs were like wet noodle afterwards. Could not walk right for awhile. Haaaaa You gotta love it!!!
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Sounds like quite a good workout. Never heard of Tabata.
  • Shannon_H
    Shannon_H Posts: 35
    Options
    I did a super fun/killer boxing tabata with a heavy bag! Loved it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Tomato potato, whatever.

So it's HIIT training called Tabata. What's the big freakin' deal?

Yes, I have done a TABATA class at the Y and I LOVE it. It's a great workout and I actually have an app on my Android that is a timer so I can do similar workout at home.

OH NOEZ IT'S NOT REALLY TABATA WAH WAH WAH
    Kinda like calling a lunge a squat. But that doesn't matter when people don't really care about correct terminology.

Neener, neener. :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I FINISH my group classes with Tabata. When they are all laying on the floor, gasping for air and basically gassed, then I have a feeling they did it right. If they're still walking around after it and just breathing heavy, then they did HIIT.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TrracyGirl
    TrracyGirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The 45 minute HIIT class I mentioned has a total of 8 Tabatas. Eight of the 4 minute cycles. There are some warm up and cool down minutes as well. Between cycles there is a rest period. The Tabatas are designed so that different areas are worked. Say our first Tabata is cardio. Then the next would be just abs. Then strengthening the legs, then arms, perhaps another cardio. The certified Tabata instructor for the Hospital's Fitness Center does a fantastic job of the variations! And yes.. Oh... My.. GOSH yes by the end you will collapse. :D It is the hardest class I've seen. I've seen very fit people fall off by the end of one of the cycles. It's also greatly encouraged that if you participate in these classes regularly (they are 3 days a week) to please not attend any other HIIT classes.
    Sorry it's not Tabata. Tabata is 100% ALL OUT EFFORT. If you can sustain that for 45 minutes, then it's not Tabata. You may be tired at the end of the class, but chances are it was an 85% to 90% effort.
    Here's a challenge. Warm up for a run. Then sprint as fast as you can for 20 seconds like your life depended on it. 10 seconds off and then sprint again as fast as you can for 20 seconds like your life depended on it.10 seconds off. Bet you can't do that for 45 minutes. Not a run a sprint. That means you're racing for time.

IDEA Fitness member

I'd be more than happy to give you the group schedule so you can attend one of these fake Tabata classes. You'll see how when people can't move by the end of one Tabata, they still find some strength deep down inside of them to make them GET UP and keep trying as the next Tabata starts. Perhaps then you will refrain from pushing your judgmental inferences and stop poo-pooing something you've never seen nor done in your 28 years of study. Just because I don't have certifications or 4% body fat doesn't mean that I'm not working to failure, giving more than I think possible. Granted, a true-to-definition "Tabata" (ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 70% of VO2max)) may only be accomplished by you and a handful of people giving that inconceivable push for power. I (and anyone else) may not reach the proper VO2 to prove that I'm doing a 'true Tabata". But even the A.C.E. states "Research has shown that HIIT—whether in the form of CrossFit, P90X or Tabata—improves cardiovascular fitness, increases lean muscle mass and enhances hypertrophy, and is an effective weight-loss tool (Laursen, 2010; Perry et al., 2008; Helgerud et al., 2007)."

So, I stand by the fact the workout class I attend that has HIIT training with 8 sets of 8 cycles at 20/10 kicks butt!! And, the net has some great "Tabata songs" out there for anyone who would want to find out how intensely they can push themselves. We all had to start somewhere. :) The Tabata protocol is a great tool to have in workout regimes :) I still think that anyone of any size can create a "Tabata style" interval training workout that will personally push harder. My lunge may not be as pretty, or deep, or at perfect angles as some people, but I'll sure as heck do them to the best of my present ability and I'll sure as heck call it a lunge. ;-)
  • afalls11
    afalls11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    At the end of my bootcamp class, we will finish it with the 4 minute Tabata workout. Nothing like finishing with 100% effort and dripping wet from the work you just did. I really love doing them in my workouts. Amazing how much I can push myself so hard.

thanks
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

OOh can you link me to this or advise what the routine is? I have a heavy bag !
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I FINISH my group classes with Tabata. When they are all laying on the floor, gasping for air and basically gassed, then I have a feeling they did it right. If they're still walking around after it and just breathing heavy, then they did HIIT.

IDEA Fitness member

ninerbuff, is there a tabata routine I can do at home, or is this something you really need to have a lot of room for? I do have a heavy bag and I am considering adding Tabata to my fitness workouts. ALso how many days a week do you suggest?
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump for curiosity's sake
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The 45 minute HIIT class I mentioned has a total of 8 Tabatas. Eight of the 4 minute cycles. There are some warm up and cool down minutes as well. Between cycles there is a rest period. The Tabatas are designed so that different areas are worked. Say our first Tabata is cardio. Then the next would be just abs. Then strengthening the legs, then arms, perhaps another cardio. The certified Tabata instructor for the Hospital's Fitness Center does a fantastic job of the variations! And yes.. Oh... My.. GOSH yes by the end you will collapse. :D It is the hardest class I've seen. I've seen very fit people fall off by the end of one of the cycles. It's also greatly encouraged that if you participate in these classes regularly (they are 3 days a week) to please not attend any other HIIT classes.
    Sorry it's not Tabata. Tabata is 100% ALL OUT EFFORT. If you can sustain that for 45 minutes, then it's not Tabata. You may be tired at the end of the class, but chances are it was an 85% to 90% effort.
    Here's a challenge. Warm up for a run. Then sprint as fast as you can for 20 seconds like your life depended on it. 10 seconds off and then sprint again as fast as you can for 20 seconds like your life depended on it.10 seconds off. Bet you can't do that for 45 minutes. Not a run a sprint. That means you're racing for time.

IDEA Fitness member

I'd be more than happy to give you the group schedule so you can attend one of these fake Tabata classes. You'll see how when people can't move by the end of one Tabata, they still find some strength deep down inside of them to make them GET UP and keep trying as the next Tabata starts. Perhaps then you will refrain from pushing your judgmental inferences and stop poo-pooing something you've never seen nor done in your 28 years of study. Just because I don't have certifications or 4% body fat doesn't mean that I'm not working to failure, giving more than I think possible. Granted, a true-to-definition "Tabata" (ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 70% of VO2max)) may only be accomplished by you and a handful of people giving that inconceivable push for power. I (and anyone else) may not reach the proper VO2 to prove that I'm doing a 'true Tabata". But even the A.C.E. states "Research has shown that HIIT—whether in the form of CrossFit, P90X or Tabata—improves cardiovascular fitness, increases lean muscle mass and enhances hypertrophy, and is an effective weight-loss tool (Laursen, 2010; Perry et al., 2008; Helgerud et al., 2007)."

So, I stand by the fact the workout class I attend that has HIIT training with 8 sets of 8 cycles at 20/10 kicks butt!! And, the net has some great "Tabata songs" out there for anyone who would want to find out how intensely they can push themselves. We all had to start somewhere. :) The Tabata protocol is a great tool to have in workout regimes :) I still think that anyone of any size can create a "Tabata style" interval training workout that will personally push harder. My lunge may not be as pretty, or deep, or at perfect angles as some people, but I'll sure as heck do them to the best of my present ability and I'll sure as heck call it a lunge. ;-)

Awesome! Love HIIT and Tabata...or is that Tabata and HIIT? Doesn't matter...you're working damn hard and your *kitten* is not on a couch! Seriously!
  • crissykclai
    crissykclai Posts: 20
    Options
    Good info, thanks.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

OTOH, that type of HIIT circuit training is likely going to be more tolerable and doable than an actual tabata session, so the OP is likely better off.

Personally, I think the research was interesting, but IMO, "real" tabata is more of a circus trick than practical training for all but a very, very few.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have always gotten much more bang for my buck from HISS.
  • squall88c
    squall88c Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When pressed for time, Tabata burpees is the answer.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I DIDN'T say you weren't training intense. I DID say you weren't doing Tabata protocol in the class. That's all. Somehow you've just taken the inferences personally. What you're doing is harder than most classes would do (think Zumba or Power Pump) and I commend you for it. Not many can do HIIT training for 45 min.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

ninerbuff, is there a tabata routine I can do at home, or is this something you really need to have a lot of room for? I do have a heavy bag and I am considering adding Tabata to my fitness workouts. ALso how many days a week do you suggest?
    Do you box or kickbox? You can do it on a bag. And if you don't want to do it on a bag, trust me when I say that doing burpees at high speed for Tabata should lay you out too.

IDEA Fitness member