thoughts on artificial sweetners?

Options

Replies

• greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If they spank, I might have to become a vegan. ;D
    I think it's a really unhealthy choice for yourself and the environment. Vegans aren't allowed to have any artificial sweeteners because they are tested on animals in labs. I think using unrefined, raw sugar will always be the best option.

Had to chuckle at how this is put..."Vegans aren't allowed." Are there vegan police? Will they arrest you? Spank you? Shame you?

How about 'most vegans don't CHOOSE to have any artificial sweetners because..."?
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I personally like to keep it natural with honey, agave, or sugar. I just don't trust artificial anything.
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Despite the contention in this thread over artificial sweeteners, there is plenty of reliable information about the effects some of them have.

If you don't use a lot of sweetener, then I'd say just go with a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you view things... Splenda is created in a lab... our boides cannot naturally process this.... so WHY put synthetic crap in our bodies??

Go for raw honey....
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For some of us, at least, artificial sweeteners are an appetite stimulant. I now avoid them and do notice that when I have my now occasional can of Diet Coke that I want to chew off my arm.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    My only thought is: NO! I won't use them. Raw sugar, raw honey
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Despite the contention in this thread over artificial sweeteners, there is plenty of reliable information about the effects some of them have.

If you don't use a lot of sweetener, then I'd say just go with a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee.

Could you cite one of these reliable sources of information please? Thank you.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think it's a really unhealthy choice for yourself and the environment. Vegans aren't allowed to have any artificial sweeteners because they are tested on animals in labs. I think using unrefined, raw sugar will always be the best option.

Had to chuckle at how this is put..."Vegans aren't allowed." Are there vegan police? Will they arrest you? Spank you? Shame you?

How about 'most vegans don't CHOOSE to have any artificial sweetners because..."?

This made me lmfao!!

Thanks everyone for your input! Although I had a few o_O moments, I do appreciate everyone's opinions. I'm still kind of up in the airabout the whole thing, because like I said, it'd take much more than an equal amount of sugar to sweeten my coffee and probably much to everyone's dismay, I'm not big on honey lol. Coffee + honey sounds disgusting to me lol.
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Except that Stevia isn't actually all natural, especially if you buy a major food company's brand. Not until a major food company got involved did stevia become legal, and only after it had been highly processed using a patentable chemical-laden process…so processed that Truvia (Coca-Cola’s branded product) goes through about 40 steps to process the extract from the leaf, relying on chemicals like acetone, methanol, ethanol, acetonitrile, and isopropanol. Some of these chemicals are known carcinogens. Why would you want to put that in your body?

If you want to use Stevia, make sure that its labeled "whole leaf stevia", or simply buy your own stevia plant to use as sweetner.

You are right, Stevia is NOT all natural. It is plant based and processed and refined in a plant along with all other artificial sweeteners. Here is my problem with this post though, Stevia, Truvia, Spenda, Sweet-N-Low and all other artificial sweeteners have been FDA approved as "safe to consume in moderation". They even define moderation for you if you care to do the research. There have already been several posts showing that none of these sweeteners have been linked to cancer or other serious health issues. If you like them and don't have an adverse reaction, use them in moderation. Whole leaf and crude stevia on the other hand, have NOT been FDA approved. The Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has cited several HUMAN studies that link crude and whole-leaf Stevia with renal and heart failure as well as reproductive disorders. Please don't get caught up in the "it's natural, so it must be good for you" hoopla.
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lots of people spout of opinion or information from "what they heard". The problem with misinformation is that unknowledgeble people on the subject end up believing it and spreading it too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So far everything you have posted is mere opinion as well. Where is your - or anyone for that matter's - evidence to prove that using artificial sweeteners are NOT bad for you?
    Regardless, it always comes back to the fact that it is a chemical you are putting in your body. We are not designed to eat foods that are created in a lab no matter what you choose to believe. And just because the FDA approves something doesn't mean it's actually safe. Money speaks my friend. Do YOUR research.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    I use organic stevia packets. Calorie free and natural. I sometimes use small amounts of raw agave or raw honey, but I am trying to keep my sugar intake low, as well as watching overall calories.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Lots of people spout of opinion or information from "what they heard". The problem with misinformation is that unknowledgeble people on the subject end up believing it and spreading it too.

IDEA Fitness member

So far everything you have posted is mere opinion as well. Where is your - or anyone for that matter's - evidence to prove that using artificial sweeteners are NOT bad for you?
    Regardless, it always comes back to the fact that it is a chemical you are putting in your body. We are not designed to eat foods that are created in a lab no matter what you choose to believe. And just because the FDA approves something doesn't mean it's actually safe. Money speaks my friend. Do YOUR research.

Very well said ;)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a sensitivity to it, it's fine.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073

This, a thousand times, this.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Where's the evidence that fruit and vegetables are NOT bad for you? (sarcasm to fight ridiculous statement)

Every food or drink we put in our body is composed of chemicals. (seriously, why does everyone hate and misuse the word chemicals?)

Created in a lab =/= automatically bad for your body. (:grumble: )
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If you're using such a small amount just use sugar or maybe try switching to green tea! (No sugar and has a great taste)
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The FDA has labeled many things as safe, and then rejected it when it came to light that it wasn't safe afterall. I mean, they originally allowed Stevia, then banned it, then allowed it as a different kind of product (sweetener instead of diet supplement). If you want to eat something that was made with acetone, go ahead.
    As far the studies against whole-leaf stevia, I honestly haven't found any. Even when I research the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics with Stevia, I get nothing. Do you have the link for it? The whole leaf has been used in Brazil and other countries for hundreds of years as a natural sweetner, which is why companies decided to process it and make money off of it.
    Except that Stevia isn't actually all natural, especially if you buy a major food company's brand. Not until a major food company got involved did stevia become legal, and only after it had been highly processed using a patentable chemical-laden process…so processed that Truvia (Coca-Cola’s branded product) goes through about 40 steps to process the extract from the leaf, relying on chemicals like acetone, methanol, ethanol, acetonitrile, and isopropanol. Some of these chemicals are known carcinogens. Why would you want to put that in your body?

If you want to use Stevia, make sure that its labeled "whole leaf stevia", or simply buy your own stevia plant to use as sweetner.

You are right, Stevia is NOT all natural. It is plant based and processed and refined in a plant along with all other artificial sweeteners. Here is my problem with this post though, Stevia, Truvia, Spenda, Sweet-N-Low and all other artificial sweeteners have been FDA approved as "safe to consume in moderation". They even define moderation for you if you care to do the research. There have already been several posts showing that none of these sweeteners have been linked to cancer or other serious health issues. If you like them and don't have an adverse reaction, use them in moderation. Whole leaf and crude stevia on the other hand, have NOT been FDA approved. The Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has cited several HUMAN studies that link crude and whole-leaf Stevia with renal and heart failure as well as reproductive disorders. Please don't get caught up in the "it's natural, so it must be good for you" hoopla.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners have unfair rep. They are blamed by overweight people for their weight gain or lack of weight loss. The fact is, people need to be accountable for what they put into their mouth in terms of overall nutrition, not whether they've taken a packet of sweetener. If you want to put some in your tea or coffee or oats, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. You won't get sick, you won't get cancer and you certainly won't get fat.

That said, I would not recommend diet sodas in place of plain water. But if you want to drink one, then go for it. Just don't go consuming 20+ cans a day.

I agree!! Stop the hate on Artificial Sweeteners!!
    I love you, man.
  • buggaboona
    Options
    I feel that the name itself is a dead giveaway: ARTIFICIAL sweetener. Anything artificial, or processed, really shouldn't be consumed if at all possible. Although I agree that a little probably won't hurt you, wouldn't you just rather use something natural in that case?
  • threadlove
    threadlove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel that the name itself is a dead giveaway: ARTIFICIAL sweetener. Anything artificial, or processed, really shouldn't be consumed if at all possible. Although I agree that a little probably won't hurt you, wouldn't you just rather use something natural in that case?

Agreed!
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Where's the evidence that fruit and vegetables are NOT bad for you? (sarcasm to fight ridiculous statement)

Every food or drink we put in our body is composed of chemicals. (seriously, why does everyone hate and misuse the word chemicals?)

Created in a lab =/= automatically bad for your body. (:grumble: )

Artificial sweeteners come from synthetic chemicals. The fact that we are talking about *artificial* sweeteners should have hinted at that. But I guess I should have known someone from the debate team would show up and try to nitpick my statement. (:yawns and rolls eyes: )
    If you prefer to be the lab rat & put *synthetic* chemicals into your body vs. the natural food which was created by this earth for consumption, then by all means... go right ahead. Just don't try and pass them off to others as "good for your body", unless YOU are also going to provide the proof.