when did people notice your weight loss?

Options
Ok...I have to admit, out loud, that I have become impatient for others to be able to notice my weight loss. Please don't get me wrong; I feel good, I can see the difference, I am happy with my progress...but there is just something special about OTHERS being able to tell. I guess 20 lbs isn't it for me so maybe at 30 it will be more noticable....I feel kinda bad for wanting that but I guess it's just another way of encouraging and motivating me. So far I've done this all on my own (well with the help of MFP) but it's not like I've said anything to family or friends because I think you are always worried that perhaps you can't do it so as I make progress it kinda feels like I'm not successful until others can notice on their own or see a change in me. When did you start having people notice your loss? 10lb? 20? 30? Just curious...:blushing:

Replies

• fat2fitx3
    fat2fitx3 Posts: 18
    Options
    I hate to say it, but it usually takes a lot of weight loss until people comment on it (30 lbs +). If only people were so "blind" to the overweight, that would be kinder!
  • ducky715
    ducky715 Posts: 38
    Options
    I think people do notice if you lose fat in certain areas. If you lose a lot from your stomach, people will notice. If you lose it off your thighs, maybe not as much. People tend to look at someone's stomach first, from my experience.
  • dreinecke94
    dreinecke94 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This past week is when a coworker first said something to me. She now calls me 'skinny' tho i am far from it. It feels nice when they notice and really keeps you motivated. I just hit 35lbs lost and still have about another 100 to go, but its the little things that keep me motivated. Having to wear a belt, buying a new bra, getting a pedicure. Reward yourself daily and soon others will notice too.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think that 35 is about the number where others notice...kinda a little disheartening but I guess you can't help it...wearing a sign or posting all over facebook that you lost weight isn't the way to go either so I guess you find something to motivate you/reward yourself until you finally can make the difference seen huh? little sad I must admit....
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I think it depends on how much you need to lose from the beginning. I'd lost about 20 pounds and ppl really started commenting. At 30 lbs lost someone asked me if I had gotten malaria too (lol..he'd just come back from south africa and HE"D gotten malaria :) )
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I totally understand you, it`s something I look forward too. Until now I haven`t had nobody telling me nothing yet, I'm keeping fingers crossed for Mother day weekend when I will see my family. I told them on the phone that I lost 30 pounds but haven`t gotten much compiments... let`s see if they talk about it then. I wonder maybe I should not have said anything to see if they would notice.. If they don`t , I'll still have mfp to encourage me!!:smile:
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    A few people (close friends, husband, mom) noticed at 20 lbs but it took until this week and new clothes before anyone else said anything....I'm a 29.2 right now.
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat with you. I can tell that I have lost weight, but people was't noticing it. Then I was at the grocery store 2 days ago when I saw a friend of the family I haven't seen in a few months, and she asked me how I had lost weight! I think that the weight loss is kinda slow, so people that see you on a regular basis can't see the incredible changes your body has made.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    After 17 lbs., including a lot of fat lost from my belly, one of my more perceptive co-workers asked whether I had lost weight. No one else has commented. I teach at a university, and the semester is ending, so I imagine that a lot of people who don't come into the office much in the summer will notice in the fall (if I sustain my current trend, that is!). People who see you frequently don't notice gradual losses.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    People noticed when I got to 10 pounds, but I work at a gym sometimes and I think they are hyper-aware of the state of everyone's body. I'm at 20 now, and people comment a lot. I'm really close to my goal, though, and I think that makes the differences more noticeable. I also wear very fitted clothes and workout clothes a lot, so that probably makes it easier to tell.
  • denisetatum
    Options
    Ihave noticed that people we see everyday don't really notice until you have last at least 30 or more pounds. The people we only see every so often tend to notice after 15 to 20 pounds.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss up to date ....... just keep chugging along ...... you'll get your comments :happy:
  • BobcatGirl110
    Options
    I was told that people who see you regularly won't notice as quickly but those who see you less often might be the first to notice...that's interesting to me. Still gotta admit there is something special to others noticing....maybe because I'm not there yet so it seems sooooo elusive. Guess we have to keep losing to find out huh? Glad I have MFP to throw these things out to the univerise!!!! <3 that
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Do they see you all the time? I think that makes a difference, too. If they see you often then they're less likely to notice right away.
    Ok...I have to admit, out loud, that I have become impatient for others to be able to notice my weight loss. Please don't get me wrong; I feel good, I can see the difference, I am happy with my progress...but there is just something special about OTHERS being able to tell. I guess 20 lbs isn't it for me so maybe at 30 it will be more noticable....I feel kinda bad for wanting that but I guess it's just another way of encouraging and motivating me. So far I've done this all on my own (well with the help of MFP) but it's not like I've said anything to family or friends because I think you are always worried that perhaps you can't do it so as I make progress it kinda feels like I'm not successful until others can notice on their own or see a change in me. When did you start having people notice your loss? 10lb? 20? 30? Just curious...:blushing:
  • LadyofLight08
    LadyofLight08 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    After I loss 45 pounds, people started to compliment me, my friends started to notice my weight loss and asked how I did it etc..
    It's been a very tough year for me, but I'm thankful I'm finally getting noticed from how far I've come.
    Remember, it takes 40 days for new skin cells to appear! So don't be discouraged! Your efforts will pay off soon! ( :
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs and was proud of myself.
    I lost 20 lbs and expected others to be able to see it. They didn't. I was a little miffed.
    I lost 30 lbs and felt great but it was only family who commented. I could see it, they could see it, was everyone else blind?
    I lost 35 lbs and then coworkers started commenting. I posted a photo on facebook and got some positive feedback.
    I lost 40 lbs and now I'm getting randoms from people I haven't seen in a few months, which is what I think you are looking for. The "OH MY GOD you look AMAZING what did you DO?" type of response.

I still have another 20 lbs (maybe 25) to go and now the funny thing is ... my mind is changing how I see my body. It used to be, I'd still expect to be fat and it wasn't there and look at how my clothes are fitting and now I need new clothes! and wow I feel great, I look great .....
    This past week it's been, "man I still look like an egg, I still have a spare tire tummy, I still have a jiggly belly, I still have more to work on ..." even as I'm feeling my shoulder bones for the first time in 12 years.
  • PRcongaPLYR
    Options
    Other people noticed my weight loss when the inches went down, rather than the weight. This is a real problem for people and the perception of actual fat loss vs weight loss which could account for many things. Water being one of the main factors. So, with me, I went from 205 lbs with a 44" waist (measured at the naval) to 34" at 165 lbs. So, I literally lost 10" around my waist. That took a year btw.

This prompted me to buy new clothing and THAT is when people noticed the most. Update the wardrobe, do something different with your hair and be more confident! :)
  • BobcatGirl110
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs and was proud of myself.
    I lost 20 lbs and expected others to be able to see it. They didn't. I was a little miffed.
    I lost 30 lbs and felt great but it was only family who commented. I could see it, they could see it, was everyone else blind?
    I lost 35 lbs and then coworkers started commenting. I posted a photo on facebook and got some positive feedback.
    I lost 40 lbs and now I'm getting randoms from people I haven't seen in a few months, which is what I think you are looking for. The "OH MY GOD you look AMAZING what did you DO?" type of response.

I still have another 20 lbs (maybe 25) to go and now the funny thing is ... my mind is changing how I see my body. It used to be, I'd still expect to be fat and it wasn't there and look at how my clothes are fitting and now I need new clothes! and wow I feel great, I look great .....
    This past week it's been, "man I still look like an egg, I still have a spare tire tummy, I still have a jiggly belly, I still have more to work on ..." even as I'm feeling my shoulder bones for the first time in 12 years.

THIS is an amazing post! Thanks so much for sharing. :D awesome for you and I hope to follow your footsteps!
  • BobcatGirl110
    Options
    Other people noticed my weight loss when the inches went down, rather than the weight. This is a real problem for people and the perception of actual fat loss vs weight loss which could account for many things. Water being one of the main factors. So, with me, I went from 205 lbs with a 44" waist (measured at the naval) to 34" at 165 lbs. So, I literally lost 10" around my waist. That took a year btw.

This prompted me to buy new clothing and THAT is when people noticed the most. Update the wardrobe, do something different with your hair and be more confident! :)

this also is very good advice....we get caught up in the scale # and being that I just started this journey in February the scale has been the indicator....I have only measured myself twice....I need to remember to keep that number mind mind too!!! TY TY TY!
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    Just because no one has said anything doesn't mean that no one has noticed. Many people refrain from commenting about others' weight--even if it's to mention weight loss. It can be a touchy subject.

Congrats on your 20 lb loss so far! The comments will come ... just give it time. Then you can post about how comments about your weight loss make you uncomfortable. :wink: