when did people notice your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• rderrickwhite
    rderrickwhite Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think that 35 is about the number where others notice...kinda a little disheartening but I guess you can't help it...wearing a sign or posting all over facebook that you lost weight isn't the way to go either so I guess you find something to motivate you/reward yourself until you finally can make the difference seen huh? little sad I must admit....

Just curious, how much water do you drink? I started drinking roughly 1 gallon by day, and almost immediately slimmed down in my face and mid section. People are usually focused on their stomachs, but I find that it's most immediately noticeable in your face. It might be worth a shot.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Good question, I've been wondering too ;). I *assumed* someone would notice by now, and it's disappointing that *I* can't really notice yet either LOL I'm a bit worried those who know I'm working on getting fit may think I'm closet cheating. Like my naturally slender husband, he's seen me putting in diligent effort since late February and I wonder if he's thinking to himself "huh? and she's still so chunky??". I figure one who has never had a weight issue might believe a few weeks of eating better and moving more will slim them down just fine ;).

I also think maybe those who love us didn't let themselves really see our fatness. I think maybe they glanced past it best they could in an effort to be kind. And so that could be why they don't notice? Come to think of it, the last time I lost a chunk of weight it was the local shopkeeper who noticed first ;)
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My family started to notice at about 10 pounds. Other people at 20. I've lost 35 now and people just ask if I've had a haircut. I seriously get asked if I've changed my hair twice a week. (I haven't). So, I think people notice I look different, but aren't quiiiite sure why. They'll catch on eventually. :)
  • sportzmom23
    sportzmom23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    for me it depended on the person. Husband, right away. Close friends, the first 15, which was last year. Friends, another 5-10, which was earlier this year. Now, everyone notices and comments, in part because I am not hiding under the clothes anymore. I am wearing more form fitting.

Now, for me to notice, totally different thing. thankfully i took pictures a few years back, because I had to put them side by side with new ones for it to really sink in. I still dont always feel it, but I am starting to see the differences in the mirror, that for me is the real win, adjusting my warped perception of myself!!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just because no one has said anything doesn't mean that no one has noticed. Many people refrain from commenting about others' weight--even if it's to mention weight loss. It can be a touchy subject.

I agree with the above. I never comment on someone's weight loss unless they're a close friend or family member.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I had lost about 35-40lbs that anyone really noticed.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    after 3 months....
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think that 35 is about the number where others notice...kinda a little disheartening but I guess you can't help it...wearing a sign or posting all over facebook that you lost weight isn't the way to go either so I guess you find something to motivate you/reward yourself until you finally can make the difference seen huh? little sad I must admit....

It kicks in at different times for everyone, I think its more about the % of your overall weight/size... for someone 400lbs, no one would even notice if they lost 20, but if you start at 150, and loose 20, you would look like a whole new person. Most people started noticing my progress around 18 lbs, and all over again after abou 6 weeks of weightlifting though I hadn't lost any more weight.
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    Generally, people you are always around won't notice the difference as they see you frequently. The people that will notice are those that you've not seen for a while. Your family will eventually notice, especially during swimsuit season.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have to admit it's sooo cool reading these :) It's like you guys get to relive your "a-ha" moments when people noticed your hard work :) I think just posting this thread was encouraging for me. I have changed my eating and I have started walking and running at least 6 days a week and this first 20 has come off really easily. I do still wear 80% of the same clothes, they are loose and or not form fitting but I'm "in between" meaning I'm only back into 20% of clothes I had from earlier weights so as I lose I keep trying on things I have hidden in my closet to see if they fit. Other than new workout clothes I do not want to buy new clothes...but honestly I've found it kinda enjoyable to pull out something I haven't worn in a year and a half or so and find it fits again. I call it a "treasure hunt" in my own closet! HA!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    About 14 lbs ago :) Made me feel really good because I hadn't felt like I made any progress at that point.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it is a percentage of what you have to lose and where you lose it first- people noticed mine after about 2 weeks but i am also working on body recomposition.

i lost mine from my face and waist first (although thats stopped for a bit) and people noticed it. just take pictures of yourself in a simliar position and that will really show you the difference
  • BobcatGirl110
    Options
    It wasn't until I had lost about 35-40lbs that anyone really noticed.

wow...your profile pic looks awesome! Congrats :)
  • dognamedpig
    dognamedpig Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    20# for me, from females but that was a while ago. I heard it from my cubicle buddy, male, the other day at 34# down. I don't expect to hear anything again until I hit 40. I think that 20 or 25 is my magic number.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well, I think it depends on how heavy you are. My aunt has been losing weight (100 pounds in about 10 months), and I noticed after about 50 pounds, but that is a rather small percentage (about 1/3) of what she has to lose. With me, however, family began to notice at about 5 pounds because that is about 1/4 of what I need to loose.
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It took my loosing around 20-25 lbs for my co-workers and family to start noticing. I've lost a lot in my face, now the rest of me needs to catch up.
  • Ambermuskoka
    Options
    For me a co-worker commented on how much weight I lost last week. At that time I lost just over 30 lbs.
  • BobcatGirl110
    Options
    Just because no one has said anything doesn't mean that no one has noticed. Many people refrain from commenting about others' weight--even if it's to mention weight loss. It can be a touchy subject.

I agree with the above. I never comment on someone's weight loss unless they're a close friend or family member.

This might be more true than I realize! Different people consider commenting/complimenting not appropriate or something you only do if you are very close friends. I can understand that. Great point.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    after about 15 pounds
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    It depends I guess. I find people don't comment even if they do notice. I have had a few say something but not really all that many people. I had to loose probably 25-30 before anyone said anything.