Ladies, your thoughts. Ok, guys too.

Options
13»

Replies

• lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 367
    Options
    I think they will sell snake oil if there are interested ppl. But yes, as long as
    women are insecure they are interested in 'fixes'. I'm cheap so I'm not w/
    the majority on that. Insecurity is pretty normal for many wmn of this era.
    Companies capitalize on it.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Commercials, in general, are marketing ploys that play with your head. Women especially. Hence why I do not watch TV anymore. Netflix/download my shows and I'm done. No more buying useless crap, feeling like i need to measure up to Hollywood, etc.

ETA - Except Dove. I love their commercials - real women, etc. There was one recently that I ready about somewhere and had to look it up it's the Dove Sketch Commercial - it made me cry. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaOjMXyJGk.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I normally ignore infomercials, unless I can't sleep and are bored out of my mind, but here are my answers:

1. Do you think these infomercials/commercials are intentionally trying to make you feel bad about your looks and bodies?

Of COURSE! They want money, fastest way to do that is make you feel bad about yourself while offering a "cheap & easy" way to fix your problem.

2. When you see these commercial, do you laugh, shake your head, get mad, or are you just indifferent? Has there ever been a commercial that offended you in some way?

Laugh normally, sometimes just shake my head (as I'm turning the channel). Offended - in a way, because they are taking up my time with worthless drivel and mindless BS. Plus, in general - they make me think that "they" (producers of the products) think all people are mindless sheep that will jump at any silly crap they dangle in front of them. Yes, sadly ALOT of people do fall for that worthless crap.... grr...

3. Do you feel like you are always judged on your looks?

Ah, yes - but that came from school and the monsters that inhabit the place. Children are WAY TOO CRUEL to each other.

4. Why would anyone ever want to cover their cleavage?

.... got me.... I like mine out there for all to see and I want to see other's (if you got it - yes, why the hell not. Even the Moobs - equal opportunity leering :smokin: )
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    1. Yes infomercials intentionally try to make you believe you have to have "---" , so they can sell their product . People don't want to be left out of owning the current in product.

2.These commercials at times make me sad because I know someone somewhere does not understand the basics of marketing and will fall victim to this line of thinking.

3.People are almost always judged on their looks initially because it is usually our first acquaintance with others. How we continue to feel after that initial experience is what is truly important to me.

4. Why would we not answer 4, it is the most fun of all. When I was unmarried I never thought about it much I am a fairly modest person. When I got married my husband took over being my clothes police, I guess....so my answer is "because it makes my husband happy."
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    1. Yes infomercials intentionally try to make you believe you have to have "---" , so they can sell their product . People don't want to be left out of owning the current in product.

2.These commercials at times make me sad because I know someone somewhere does not understand the basics of marketing and will fall victim to this line of thinking.

3.People are almost always judged on their looks initially because it is usually our first acquaintance with others. How we continue to feel after that initial experience is what is truly important to me.

4. Why would we not answer 4, it is the most fun of all. When I was unmarried I never thought about it much I am a fairly modest person. When I got married my husband took over being my clothes police, I guess....so my answer is "because it makes my husband happy."

Clothes Police :laugh:
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    I normally ignore infomercials, unless I can't sleep and are bored out of my mind, but here are my answers:

1. Do you think these infomercials/commercials are intentionally trying to make you feel bad about your looks and bodies?

Of COURSE! They want money, fastest way to do that is make you feel bad about yourself while offering a "cheap & easy" way to fix your problem.

2. When you see these commercial, do you laugh, shake your head, get mad, or are you just indifferent? Has there ever been a commercial that offended you in some way?

Laugh normally, sometimes just shake my head (as I'm turning the channel). Offended - in a way, because they are taking up my time with worthless drivel and mindless BS. Plus, in general - they make me think that "they" (producers of the products) think all people are mindless sheep that will jump at any silly crap they dangle in front of them. Yes, sadly ALOT of people do fall for that worthless crap.... grr...

Ah, yes - but that came from school and the monsters that inhabit the place. Children are WAY TOO CRUEL to each other.

4. Why would anyone ever want to cover their cleavage?

.... got me.... I like mine out there for all to see and I want to see other's (if you got it - yes, why the hell not. Even the Moobs - equal opportunity leering :smokin: )

Moobs?
  • Just1998
    Just1998 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hey, it’s me again. Last Sunday, I was at the gym (never thought in a million years I would say that) early in the day. Most of the televisions had infomercials showing. So I watched and noticed a trend, the commercials were all about women and how to make their bodies look “better.” The first commercial was about some kind of thing you wear to get rid of bulges, fat roles, and help make you self look slimmer. The second was make-up that made you look younger. The next one was something that hides cleavage, and the last one was a weight loss program. So of course this got me to pay attention to commercials all day. I noticed every other commercial was about women and basically saying you look terrible here is how you fix it.

So ladies, I have some questions:

4. Why would anyone ever want to cover their cleavage? (Ok, that question was for me….lol) Don’t answer.

As always I love to hear different ideas and opinions.

I think this kind of stuff should be targeted towards guys too because they look much worst and its acceptable no one says how they should fix it because we live in a patriarchal society. Also that sounds crazy to want to hide cleavage. But I guess if I were a DD I'd think differently. Honest truth I have very large areoles so sadly I wish I could show a lot of cleavage but I can't.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    1. Perhaps, although I can't get into infomercials and commercials.

2. Really doesn't affect me at all.

3. Sometimes.

4. Show it all off, duh.
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    Hey, it’s me again. Last Sunday, I was at the gym (never thought in a million years I would say that) early in the day. Most of the televisions had infomercials showing. So I watched and noticed a trend, the commercials were all about women and how to make their bodies look “better.” The first commercial was about some kind of thing you wear to get rid of bulges, fat roles, and help make you self look slimmer. The second was make-up that made you look younger. The next one was something that hides cleavage, and the last one was a weight loss program. So of course this got me to pay attention to commercials all day. I noticed every other commercial was about women and basically saying you look terrible here is how you fix it.

So ladies, I have some questions:

4. Why would anyone ever want to cover their cleavage? (Ok, that question was for me….lol) Don’t answer.

As always I love to hear different ideas and opinions.

I think this kind of stuff should be targeted towards guys too because they look much worst and its acceptable no one says how they should fix it because we live in a patriarchal society. Also that sounds crazy to want to hide cleavage. But I guess if I were a DD I'd think differently. Honest truth I have very large areoles so sadly I wish I could show a lot of cleavage but I can't.

Ouch :sad: