Timing of your calories

Options
Here is a good quick read about how many calories and when. Your body can only process so many calories in a 3 hour period.

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/can-i-eat-all-my-calories-for-the-day-in-one-meal-and-still-lose-weight-649.html

Replies

• TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    The internet is a dangerous place.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have heard that before but never tried it on myself. I might just have to give it a shot and see what happens.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    From the article:
    You hear it everywhere now: if you want to lose weight, it helps to eat smaller meals more frequently. In other words, spread out the calories (energy) you take in over the course of day instead of eating all those calories in one sitting. This helps to keep your blood sugar level and curb cravings, amongst others.

This is total crap. To paraphrase Martin Berkhan (and the National Institutes of Health), you cannot trick your body into burning more calories by eating more frequently.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494, a study which found no metabolic difference between grazing all day or eating one huge meal in a 24 hour period.

See also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363, a study which found that 3 high-protein meals provided greater fullness and appetite control than 6 high-protein meals.
    Instead, your body assesses your needs in “real-time”, as it happens. To quote Dr. Benardot, in the article: “Much like you can’t provide all the fuel your car needs for a 1000-mile trip at one time, you can’t provide all the fuel your body needs for a day at one time.”

Worst analogy ever. You can't fuel your car for a 1000 mile trip at one time because your gas tank is not physically big enough. Your stomach can hold way more than 300 to 400 calories at once. I know this because I regularly consume 1500 to 1600 calories meals, and I am a small woman. I can throw around some pretty heavy weight for a little chick, so I think my body is having its "real-time" needs met just fine.
    Your blood sugar levels fluctuate instead of holding steady, which can result in a loss of lean body mass. In other words, it’s not fat that’s being lost but potentially muscle. And we don’t want to lose muscle. Lowering your lean body mass means your body burns less calories. Not good.

Eating when your blood sugar is low (because you’ve hardly eaten anything all day) causes you to release more insulin — which means more fat is produced.

Just flat out untrue. Your blood sugar, unless you are diabetic or hypoglycemic, just does not swing up and down like that. Your body is very, very efficient at keeping your blood sugar level stable, especially if you eat on a regular schedule rather than at random times throughout the day.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405701, a study which found that it takes 84 hours of fasting to lower a healthy (meaning non-diabetic) person's blood sugar level enough to alter his or her mental state.

See also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18779282, a study which found that during 48 hours of fasting or severe calorie deprivation, blood sugar is maintained within a normal range.
    For example, if your body needs 300 calories in a three hour period, and you’re not feeding it more calories after that three hour period is up, your body is going to start looking for energy in your lean body mass.

Total horse****. It takes SEVERAL hours for amino acids from protein to get into your blood stream. If you eat a meal that is very high in protein (my larger meals regularly contain well over 100 g), you can take that 3-hour window mentioned in the article, and multiply it by about 7 or 8, and your body will still be processing that protein. Muscle catabolism is a product of extreme caloric deficit and depletion of liver glycogen caused by fasting for very long periods, not simply going without a meal for a few hours or even an entire day.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674, a study which found that Ramadan fasting actually had a positive effect on body fat percentage

See also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040548, a study which found that people who eat most of their calories late in the day preserved more of their muscle mass than those who ate more calories earlier in the day.

BOTTOM LINE: A healthy person's body is a very well-oiled machine, full of intricately designed systems that are capable of things you cannot possibly even imagine. It is designed primarily to keep you alive, which means your blood sugar can't be jumping around all over the place all day long, and your muscle can't be disappearing within a matter of hours. If it were even remotely true that our bodies needed food every 3 to 4 hours in order to function, the human race would've died out with Adam and Eve. Our ancestors went days and even WEEKS without food. I know you don't think they were running down to the 7-11 to grab a burrito every 3 to 4 hours. Once again, this is all horse****.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Once again, this is all horse****.

Logic wins!
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    From the article:
    You hear it everywhere now: if you want to lose weight, it helps to eat smaller meals more frequently. In other words, spread out the calories (energy) you take in over the course of day instead of eating all those calories in one sitting. This helps to keep your blood sugar level and curb cravings, amongst others.

This is total crap. To paraphrase Martin Berkhan (and the National Institutes of Health), you cannot trick your body into burning more calories by eating more frequently.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494, a study which found no metabolic difference between grazing all day or eating one huge meal in a 24 hour period.

See also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363, a study which found that 3 high-protein meals provided greater fullness and appetite control than 6 high-protein meals.
    Instead, your body assesses your needs in “real-time”, as it happens. To quote Dr. Benardot, in the article: “Much like you can’t provide all the fuel your car needs for a 1000-mile trip at one time, you can’t provide all the fuel your body needs for a day at one time.”

Worst analogy ever. You can't fuel your car for a 1000 mile trip at one time because your gas tank is not physically big enough. Your stomach can hold way more than 300 to 400 calories at once. I know this because I regularly consume 1500 to 1600 calories meals, and I am a small woman. I can throw around some pretty heavy weight for a little chick, so I think my body is having its "real-time" needs met just fine.
    Your blood sugar levels fluctuate instead of holding steady, which can result in a loss of lean body mass. In other words, it’s not fat that’s being lost but potentially muscle. And we don’t want to lose muscle. Lowering your lean body mass means your body burns less calories. Not good.

Eating when your blood sugar is low (because you’ve hardly eaten anything all day) causes you to release more insulin — which means more fat is produced.

Just flat out untrue. Your blood sugar, unless you are diabetic or hypoglycemic, just does not swing up and down like that. Your body is very, very efficient at keeping your blood sugar level stable, especially if you eat on a regular schedule rather than at random times throughout the day.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405701, a study which found that it takes 84 hours of fasting to lower a healthy (meaning non-diabetic) person's blood sugar level enough to alter his or her mental state.

See also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18779282, a study which found that during 48 hours of fasting or severe calorie deprivation, blood sugar is maintained within a normal range.
    For example, if your body needs 300 calories in a three hour period, and you’re not feeding it more calories after that three hour period is up, your body is going to start looking for energy in your lean body mass.

Total horse****. It takes SEVERAL hours for amino acids from protein to get into your blood stream. If you eat a meal that is very high in protein (my larger meals regularly contain well over 100 g), you can take that 3-hour window mentioned in the article, and multiply it by about 7 or 8, and your body will still be processing that protein. Muscle catabolism is a product of extreme caloric deficit and depletion of liver glycogen caused by fasting for very long periods, not simply going without a meal for a few hours or even an entire day.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674, a study which found that Ramadan fasting actually had a positive effect on body fat percentage

See also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040548, a study which found that people who eat most of their calories late in the day preserved more of their muscle mass than those who ate more calories earlier in the day.

BOTTOM LINE: A healthy person's body is a very well-oiled machine, full of intricately designed systems that are capable of things you cannot possibly even imagine. It is designed primarily to keep you alive, which means your blood sugar can't be jumping around all over the place all day long, and your muscle can't be disappearing within a matter of hours. If it were even remotely true that our bodies needed food every 3 to 4 hours in order to function, the human race would've died out with Adam and Eve. Our ancestors went days and even WEEKS without food. I know you don't think they were running down to the 7-11 to grab a burrito every 3 to 4 hours. Once again, this is all horse****.

^^^^ Yup. What she says. Boy, you saved me about two hours of writing. :-) Well said. This is spread your calories out crap is bull***
  • ScottysSpeedShop
    ScottysSpeedShop Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow jq2122, you are a little fire cracker. I like that.

I have been studying this for quite awhile. We all know that to gain weight all you have to do is have more calories going in than going out. And to lose weight more calories going out than going in. And to maintain you just keep it even. There obviously is a time frame involved. Can you please give me your opinion what that time frame is for a person with a sedentary lifestyle. My research and experience has taken me to a window of 3 hours before the body starts to store it's extra unused fuel concoction as fat. What time frame do you think the human body converts the surplus to fat?

Thank you for your opinion.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    The internet is a dangerous place.

But you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Horse****.

This.

If eating too many calories at one time harms your weight loss efforts those who practice IF would be huge.

A friend of mine eats in a three hour window each day. 3000 cals worth of food and he's been able to keep up with his losses/maintaining.
  • ScottysSpeedShop
    Options
    If eating too many calories at one time harms your weight loss efforts those who practice IF would be huge.

A friend of mine eats in a three hour window each day. 3000 cals worth of food and he's been able to keep up with his losses/maintaining.

He takes in all 3000 calories for the entire day in a 3 hour period?
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry now. Thx.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Meal timing can still affect weightloss, but its really just a behavioral thing. If you plan meals well, and dont get into desperate, starving situations...then you're less likely to binge or reach for a less-than-nutritious choice
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, I eat all day long. Every few hours. I'm a snacker.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes, but... your body also can only process so many calories an hour. In fact this is a problem for ultramarathoners for instance. You have to train your body to actually be able to take in all those extra calories. 200-300 is the normal range for most people, long distance athletes can push it up to say 600+ calories an hour but even then they are in calorie debt. I burn over 1000 calories hour when I run now.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Irrelevant. If meal timing was a nesscary thing, overnight workers would be ****ed.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Wow jq2122, you are a little fire cracker. I like that.

I have been studying this for quite awhile. We all know that to gain weight all you have to do is have more calories going in than going out. And to lose weight more calories going out than going in. And to maintain you just keep it even. There obviously is a time frame involved. Can you please give me your opinion what that time frame is for a person with a sedentary lifestyle. My research and experience has taken me to a window of 3 hours before the body starts to store it's extra unused fuel concoction as fat. What time frame do you think the human body converts the surplus to fat?

Thank you for your opinion.

Scott,

It's not really relevant what time frame it takes the body to store fat acutely.

What matters is the difference between fat storage and fat oxidation over long periods of time. So for example, if you eat all of your food in one big meal for the day, fat storage goes up acutely because you're overeating relative your energy needs in that small window of time.

However, you then spend the rest of the day not eating. Fat oxidation eventually goes way up because you're spending all that time without any incoming energy.

All that matters is the difference between oxidation and storage and this is largely determined by energy balance.

Meal frequency does matter for behavioral/preferential/performance effects and those can certainly play a role in energy balance, but not due to frequent feedings being inherently "metabolically beneficial".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Horse****.

Got it in one.

Well done.
  • ScottysSpeedShop
    Options
    Irrelevant. If meal timing was a nesscary thing, overnight workers would be ****ed.

The hour of the day has nothing to do with it. The point is a person cant take in more calories per meal than their body can process in a set amount of time. The average sedentary person can only process around 300 calories every 3 hours. If you binge and take in 1500 calories at one meal then the excess from that meal is going to fat storage. Even if you didnt meet your calorie goal for the day. Calories convert to fat fast.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

The hour of the day has nothing to do with it. The point is a person cant take in more calories per meal than their body can process in a set amount of time. The average sedentary person can only process around 300 calories every 3 hours. If you binge and take in 1500 calories at one meal then the excess from that meal is going to fat storage. Even if you didnt meet your calorie goal for the day. Calories convert to fat fast.

And then what happens when you don't eat for the next few hours and your body needs fuel....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Irrelevant since total energy balance over time will dictate differences in storage vs oxidation. Eat it all at once, store some fat acutely, oxidize it between meals. See previous reply.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.