Why am I not losing on 1200cal per day?

Options
Breizier
Breizier Posts: 221 Member
I am fast losing the will to live cos Im still stuck.

Initially I did the TDEE /LBM/FLC/JVC/QVC alphabet calculation that put me on 2200 cals perday. I usually wound up eating around 1600-1900 cals perday and was losing weight.

I switched to the MFP calc which gives me 1220 cals p/d and Im stuck and dont seem able to get unstuck. I have even started shuffling (those who are good at it call it running or jogging - I can move that fast yet) and walking for health at home. I just seem to stay stuck.

I rarely eat processed food; even when the foods in my diary mention a branded or restaurant meal, it is usually the nearest to home made I can find without listing individual ingredients. I use fry light. What else can I do. Calorie counting just doesnt seem to work for me.

I know my weight loss pattern is to plateau for a long time, but I hoped that the change in calories and exercising would help but if anything it seems worse than usual.

Help!!!:sad:

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So you're saying you were on 1200-1500 cals per day and lost weight. Then you changed to 1200 cals per day and now you're stuck?

Something doesn't add up. How long have you been stuck? Are you logging as accurately and as honestly as you can? EVERYTHING?
  • M_miller0507
    M_miller0507 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In before this explodes.

If you were losing when you were eating more why did you drop your calories? Try going back to eating 1500-1900 and see what happens.
  • Breizier
    Options
    Yes, sorry just did a slight amendment.

Yes pretty accurate. The only thing I dont log is my coffee intake. I drink about 3 half cups a day at work and 3 full ones at home all with semi skim milk.

I changed to stop me plateau-ing, but I have been stuck since just after Easter. I am wondering if changing back will help.
  • justjayce
    justjayce Posts: 11
    Options
    In before this explodes.

If you were losing when you were eating more why did you drop your calories? Try going back to eating 1500-1900 and see what happens.

THIS! Also, make sure you're getting "quality" calories, and not crappy calories!
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Decrease empty calories, eat LOTS of veggies, not potatoes, pasta, etc., add fruits, lean protein, and water and you should see a drop. Best of luck!
  • ScottysSpeedShop
    ScottysSpeedShop Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Check out this quick read. There is a strategy to your caloric intake. The body can't use too many calories at one time. If you give it too much at one meal then within a very short time (hours) it stores it as fat. If you don't take in enough calories in a period of time it locks on the existing fat. Because of this, you can overload yourself with calories at one meal and finish the day under your calorie goal and have no weight change. This eating habit changes your metabolism. I bet if you look closely at the amount of calories you take in at each meal you are going to see where it is happening.

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/can-i-eat-all-my-calories-for-the-day-in-one-meal-and-still-lose-weight-649.html
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Do you log the milk that goes in your coffee? how much do you put in?
  • Breizier
    Options
    Decrease empty calories, eat LOTS of veggies, not potatoes, pasta, etc., add fruits, lean protein, and water and you should see a drop. Best of luck!

Yep, looking at what I am eating, I need to get rid of the potatoes and bread. Not much of a fruit eater but I can seriously up the veg. I think the 'empty' carbs have struck especially bread which is one of my many weaknesses. Although I am staying within calorie limits, I there is far greater proportion of starchy foods.
    Thanks
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    If you aren't weighing your food, adding your own recipes, and logging everything you eat, then you really don't know if you are eating 1200 calories or not.

I'd suggest buying a digital food scale if you don't have one already. I use one now and it has really helped me to stay on track with my calories.

Good luck!
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When logging food, if you are using restaurant equivalents for your homemade meals, your calorie count may be reading higher than it actually is. I find alot of restaurant meals are higher in calories and have larger portions that what I would normally make at home.

If that is the case then you may have dropped enough calories to put your self into starvation mode. I know there are alot of arguments and controversy over the starvation mode theory, but I know that I stop loosing weight if my calories are too low for too long.

Have you tried adding more calories from healthy sources (lean proteins and veggies) to see if that changes things?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Lokked back at your diary through April, you are not eating 1200 calories a day. Several days at 2000+, some incomplete days here and there (i'm assumming but could be VLCD). You also are not logging milk with your coffee (i think, unless you correct me). Also do you weigh your food. Everything looks very rounded. Are you just estimating?

I think the first step is to develop a little consistency. Eat your calorie goal everyday for a few weeks. Weigh all of your food so you get a good idea for what is going on.

Just my 2...Good luck.
  • Breizier
    Options
    Check out this quick read. There is a strategy to your caloric intake. The body can't use too many calories at one time. If you give it too much at one meal then within a very short time (hours) it stores it as fat. If you don't take in enough calories in a period of time it locks on the existing fat. Because of this, you can overload yourself with calories at one meal and finish the day under your calorie goal and have no weight change. This eating habit changes your metabolism. I bet if you look closely at the amount of calories you take in at each meal you are going to see where it is happening.

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/can-i-eat-all-my-calories-for-the-day-in-one-meal-and-still-lose-weight-649.html

I will go away and read this; but even without reading it it sounds like me. No breakfast (If I eat too early either get stomach cramps or ravenous all day) miniscule lunch - usually cuppasoup and all my calories crammed into one huge meal. I dont tend to snack. Hmmm, I will try eating more at lunch and less in the evening. Thank you
  • Breizier
    Options
    If you aren't weighing your food, adding your own recipes, and logging everything you eat, then you really don't know if you are eating 1200 calories or not.

I'd suggest buying a digital food scale if you don't have one already. I use one now and it has really helped me to stay on track with my calories.

Good luck!

Thanks, for this. I dont always weigh my food but do most of the time, which drives the family mad.
  • Breizier
    Options
    When logging food, if you are using restaurant equivalents for your homemade meals, your calorie count may be reading higher than it actually is. I find alot of restaurant meals are higher in calories and have larger portions that what I would normally make at home.

If that is the case then you may have dropped enough calories to put your self into starvation mode. I know there are alot of arguments and controversy over the starvation mode theory, but I know that I stop loosing weight if my calories are too low for too long.

Have you tried adding more calories from healthy sources (lean proteins and veggies) to see if that changes things?

This is very true; I wouldnt log if I had to list every ingredient, so lesser of 2 evils. I will though increase my food intake as suggested. I think I have to make the effort to eat at lunch time.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Six cups of coffee a day seems very, very extreme. I have one a day without any issues.

At 1200 calories, I'm inclined to say your body thinks you are starving it and your metabolism is shutting down. If 1500-1600 worked, why not go back to that and see what happens?
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to lose eating (gross) 1200 calories per day - as soon as I bump up to 1400 I start losing, maybe 1200 is not enough for you
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ignore the part about having to spread out your calories. All other things being equal, that doesn't matter.

You aren't logging accurately, which is fine if you're losing anyway but if you're stuck then that's the first thing you should do. Weigh everything. Enter all the ingredients. It really doesn't take that long if you save your recipes and meals.

ETA: And yes, if eating more calories was working definitely go back.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    this sounds like metabolic damage to me....in fact, a clear case of metabolic damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

it`ll make a whole lot more sense after you see this. trust me, i think thats the problem..and im speaking from first hand experience.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am fast losing the will to live cos Im still stuck.

Initially I did the TDEE /LBM/FLC/JVC/QVC alphabet calculation that put me on 2200 cals perday. I usually wound up eating around 1600-1900 cals perday and was losing weight.

I switched to the MFP calc which gives me 1220 cals p/d and Im stuck and dont seem able to get unstuck. I have even started shuffling (those who are good at it call it running or jogging - I can move that fast yet) and walking for health at home. I just seem to stay stuck.

I rarely eat processed food; even when the foods in my diary mention a branded or restaurant meal, it is usually the nearest to home made I can find without listing individual ingredients. I use fry light. What else can I do. Calorie counting just doesnt seem to work for me.

I know my weight loss pattern is to plateau for a long time, but I hoped that the change in calories and exercising would help but if anything it seems worse than usual.

Help!!!:sad:

OK I have quoted what you said because I got confused..you were eating around 1600-1900 cals a days and was losing weight?

Then you changed to 1220 cals a day and are not losing weight?

I do not understand the dilemma?
  • Breizier
    Options
    Lokked back at your diary through April, you are not eating 1200 calories a day. Several days at 2000+, some incomplete days here and there (i'm assumming but could be VLCD). You also are not logging milk with your coffee (i think, unless you correct me). Also do you weigh your food. Everything looks very rounded. Are you just estimating?

I think the first step is to develop a little consistency. Eat your calorie goal everyday for a few weeks. Weigh all of your food so you get a good idea for what is going on.

Just my 2...Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my diary. Fresh eyes always help. THere have been a couple of times when only 1 meal is logged where I simply forgot to log the rest .

the 2K+ days usually bread chocolate or alcohol days, but those aside my perception is that I am being consistent which is clearly not the case.

Thank you