Why am I not losing on 1200cal per day?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just taking a quick peek at your diary I see you don't eat breakfast. That is a huge jump to your metabolism. I know some people don't like eating Bfast ( that used to be me) but now I know it really is important so I have something lite to get me going then I have a snack mid morning before lunch. I have found that eating small amounts throughout the day is better than 2 or 3 big meals. I also noticed you did not log your water.....if you are not drinking at least 64 oz. per day you should try that. Water is huge to weight loss. I am also 53 years old and it is hard to change what you have been doing for so many years but you can do it. It has to be a life style change which will require you to do things you are willing to do for the rest of your life....I log before I eat to check to see if it is going to put me over in sugar, carbs, sodium ect. Sometimes I will adjust what I eat to stay in the green :) Good luck to you .....you can do this :)

Eating breakfast has no direct impact on your metabolism, assuming your calories are the same at the end of the day. When you should eat your meals should be based on energy levels, lifestyle, preference, adherence and satiety.
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just got out of a terribly long plateau by doing phase one of 17 day diet. I have done phase 1 of 17 day diet before for 17 days as prescribed and that was when I lost the most. Then I went back to normal eating because much research shows that the body gets used to the new diet in 22 days. That is why the diet is called the 17 day diet, each phase (there are 4) is for 17 days, so the body doesn't get used to it.

So because weight loss had been very slow for a long time and then plateaued, and I had tried everything, I started 17 day diet phase 1 again. It is a special kind of low carb diet, you can still have fruit and berries, just a limited variety in the first phase and then it builds on more variety for each phase. These fruits or berries should be eaten before 2 pm or 6 hours before bed (which is logical since then body uses carbs for energy before anything else, so to use of the carb storage to get to fat for energy) and then the veggies also has a list of veggies allowed in phase 1, but it is very long, so there is plenty, but the veggies on this list is called cleansing veggies.

Basically phase 1 is pretty much about emptying the body's carb storage. And that worked for me, even when I cheat,maybe a day or two during the week I have garlic bread with my dinner or pancakes for dessert I still see good losses :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear within people and its worse even with women due to estrogen and the fact it affects sodium balance.

If you are eating at 1200 or 1400. stay there. tough it out. You should not have to alter calories to lose weight.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I lost all my body fat lost so far after starting leangains. I don't eat until about 1 pm every day.

1) metabolic damage happens only after sever deficits for a long time, and you would have some very nasty side effects which you would probably notice
    2) your diet is one big freaking "unknown" and I get the sense you are not telling the truth to yourself about it
    3) the human body, while home to a powerful set of emotions, is not able to defy the basic laws of thermodynamics. If you eat less than you burn, you lose mass. If you burn less than you eat, you gain mass. The only exception to this would be if you have a problem absorbing what you eat, for instance if you have a parasite that is grabbing your calories.

If eating more gives you a greater ability to be active, and that activity burns more than the additional calories you ingest, you will lose, because again, the basic natural laws governing reality state that energy and matter can not be created or destroyed.

This means there are only two questions you can really ask to find out why aren't losing
    1)how much do I burn
    2)how much do I take in

Bottom line - you are not losing weight because you aren't running a deficit. Start with a logical assumption like that, then methodically explore your daily habits to find out where YOU are making a mistake. Don't go hunting for magical reasons why the universe is making a mistake.
  • FrankenFit90
    Options
    I think I see a problem. You need to eat breakfast...for sure. I also read that you get most of your calories in one meal..I suggest that you have 3 small meals a day...plus 2 or 3 snacks in between. Even when your not hungry you should eat all your meals everyday. Spread those calories out. So your body can burn them up in a controlled way.:wink:
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I think I see a problem. You need to eat breakfast...for sure. I also read that you get most of your calories in one meal..I suggest that you have 3 small meals a day...plus 2 or 3 snacks in between. Even when your not hungry you should eat all your meals everyday. Spread those calories out. So your body can burn them up in a controlled way.:wink:

Thank the dog I figured out this was BS before I started on my journey. Down 40 pounds of fat, up the ability to do pull-ups and a leg routine that made my in shape friend almost cry when he tried it. I eat all my calories in an 8 hour window and often work out after 14.5 hours of fasting
  • FrankenFit90
    Options
    Don't ever say your losing the will to live....that makes me sad. I hope your just being playfully dramatic. If you really feel that way...I hope you friend me....because your physical health will always suffer if your mental health is poor. I'm just a person who generally cares about my fellow humans ability to live a Happy life...because Happiness is the ONLY thing that truly matters in our world.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Until you really know how many calories you are eating, I don't know how you can begin to formulate a plan.

Your first step is to ACCURATELY log. Never mind 'I won't log if I have to work out every ingredient'. That sounds like an excuse. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing properly. You can log a meal/ recipe in three mins and then use the same one ( 'one serving - home made thai rice' ) or whatever in a second next time you eat it.

You are asking people for advice on how best to juggle jelly, when you may be juggling something completely different!
  • FrankenFit90
    Options
    Excuse me friend...I'm not sure.....are you insulting me?Well either way..you appear to be a young person. I don't think this woman is trying to do pullups. She is trying to get in a healthy routine....to lose weight.....not gain muscle..and show up her friends in a gym. Living healthy is about routine. Trust me....any nutritionest will tell you that 6 small meals a day is way better than 2 large meals a day. Plain and simple.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Because 1200 calories a day is not sustainable unless you're really short or on some medically recommended diet. This kind of thing comes up all the time.. you get the 1200 calorie people arguing with the people telling you to eat more.

I did about 1200 calories for years and never moved after a few months. Sure, you might lose weight at first but it is more likely going to be muscle you're losing and eventually you will have to eat next to nothing (starve) to lose weight or exercise like a maniac (which then leads to other metabolism problems).

I started losing weight again when I started eating more. Now I eat like 1600 cals a day.. and I don't eat "clean" either. I eat whatever the heck I want. So I don't believe you HAVE to eat clean, but I guess when you only got 1200 calories a day you're forced to make the most of them... most people's BMR (survival calories if I laid in bed all day) is higher than 1200 cals.. mine is 1460 something, eat less than that and your body kind of freaks out and wants to cling to fat to adapt and survive. (Muscle costs calories to maintain).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

A bit of reading, but worth it... and surely beats being "skinny fat" and starving for calories.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Excuse me friend...I'm not sure.....are you insulting me?Well either way..you appear to be a young person. I don't think this woman is trying to do pullups. She is trying to get in a healthy routine....to lose weight.....not gain muscle..and show up her friends in a gym. Living healthy is about routine. Trust me....any nutritionest will tell you that 6 small meals a day is way better than 2 large meals a day. Plain and simple.

Only if that nutritionist stopped reading journals and updating their education about ten years ago, and never stopped to ask how the endocrine system could possibly have so much influence that it defies the law of conservation of matter and energy. And lo and behold, the original "research" supporting many small meals never actually made a claim about meal frequency. It was people reading the study and not understanding it who jumped to the conclusion that because metabolic rate goes up in response to food, it therefore must be higher overall in response to higher meal frequency, when in fact it goes up or down in response to quantity alone with no regard to frequency. Subsequent studies testing this specifically have found no difference in mice fed more often or less often as long as the totals are the same.

My point was that by researching current scientific knowledge I was able to come up with a plan that complements my style, rather than trying to force myself to eat 6 meals a day and trying to deal with the excessive hunger that ensues. I speak of pull-ups because being able to do them after not being able to them, implies I am making huge gains in fitness. I eat two huge meals a day, and few snacks.
  • FrankenFit90
    Options
    Sir..I don't want to argue with you...I simply want this woman to see results because its not right to feel like your life's number is up. I don't see how your boasting is helping anyone but yourself. I disagree with your method in this situation. Sorry...but if you think that is healthy advice for the rest of the world....then by all means shout it from the roof tops till your blue in the face..I'm sure you will convince someone. Good luck buddy.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Only if that nutritionist stopped reading journals and updating their education about ten years ago, and never stopped to ask how the endocrine system could possibly have so much influence that it defies the law of conservation of matter and energy. And lo and behold, the original "research" supporting many small meals never actually made a claim about meal frequency. It was people reading the study and not understanding it who jumped to the conclusion that because metabolic rate goes up in response to food, it therefore must be higher overall in response to higher meal frequency, when in fact it goes up or down in response to quantity alone with no regard to frequency. Subsequent studies testing this specifically have found no difference in mice fed more often or less often as long as the totals are the same.

My point was that by researching current scientific knowledge I was able to come up with a plan that complements my style, rather than trying to force myself to eat 6 meals a day and trying to deal with the excessive hunger that ensues. I speak of pull-ups because being able to do them after not being able to them, implies I am making huge gains in fitness. I eat two huge meals a day, and few snacks.
    so you are telling me that eating 20 meals a day didnt change my energy expenditure from 50 to 100 cals?
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Sir..I don't want to argue with you...I simply want this woman to see results because its not right to feel like your life's number is up. I don't see how your boasting is helping anyone but yourself. I disagree with your method in this situation. Sorry...but if you think that is healthy advice for the rest of the world....then by all means shout it from the roof tops till your blue in the face..I'm sure you will convince someone. Good luck buddy.

We arent trying to **** on people.

You also need to understand how wrong your statements are. There is nothing unhealthy about skipping breakfast.

What does him losing weight differ than her losing weight?

You can disagree with his methods all you want. If he agreed with you, he would be wrong too.

People seem to forget the normal physiological functions of the human body. They think we have to eat. They disregard studies and they think they are a snowflake in regards to how their body metabolizes and absorbs energy.

Laws of thermodynamics have and always will be that energy cannot be created or destroy but transferred.
    If she is eating under her calories and her metabolic rate stays the same she will lose fat. Weight may be retained due to water.
    People that seem to reject research use "old practices" are funny.
    Their "old practices" were based off of research that had a poor quality of a setup and dated way back.

They just dont realize it.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    b/c 1200 a day is a joke
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I really really appreciate that you have taken the time to give me the benefit of your thoughts and experiences. I has given me lots of food for thought.

Calculating my TDEE - 20% gave me a huge number (by comparison to MFP) of calories per day which I struggled to eat healthily. Also having nearly 2200 cals per day is counter intuitive - I am of the generation whereby the standard diet for everyone was 1000 per day; less calories = greater weight loss

The reason I chose to 1200 cals is because this it the MFP calculation not mine. I figured that given that MFP is one of the highest rated sites of this type and several people have said their GP etc, has recommended using it I thought MFP's 'recommended' calculation would be a pretty good guide.

Obviously nutritional science has thankfully moved on loads since my youth in the 70s & 80s.

I have read lots of what seem to dogma stating you must eat this or that and breakfast breakfast breakfast.

I have come down on the side of do what works for your body; we, like all living things, have evolved to survive to our environment. I think It stands to reason that the overall principal of how we eat to live is similar there must be some delicate tweeks for each individual within any environment or group to ensure survival of the species. If you are fighting your body, I think you will be on a hiding to nothing.

If you need to eat 6 times a day go for it. I can eat 6 times a day but for me personally it would be greed: I struggle to eat once a day (thats why I only have a cuppa soup for lunch and sometimes I dont even finish it) so eating 6 times would be a non starter.

As for breakfast - not happening. I do not get hungry just because I don't eat breakfast and I don't snack. I will scoff sweets chocolate and bread if it is in front of me or I may 'fancy' something, but my natural inclination is only to eat at mealtimes.

Mealtimes are a moveable feast for me. Part of the joy of only having a tiny lunch is I am ravenous when I get home and not just eating for eating/meal time sake. I eat a huge meal, but another joy, I actually can feel when I am full so my huge meals are actually getting smaller.

I realise how inaccurate my logging is as I use generic brands for home cooked meals, aside from not wanting to put in the time to log every single ingredient, I know myself: I used to spend and hour at Weight Watchers, where all they seemed to do was discuss food - my brain went off at a tangent dwelling food I find tasty so I would leave the group and drive straight in to a take away and eat twice as much food than normal. (Yes I would buy and eat 2 meals). I do not want to do that again. I worry that spending too much time havng to concentrate on food will throw me back into that mentality.

In conclusion. I would agree that I am eating too little. I am aiming to increase my calories by 100 per week till I get back up to around 1800.

I will try and eat a proper lunch.

I will keep up with the exercise that I have started.

Thanks for your help guys. I will let you know how I get on.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I would say that you are in "Starvation Mode" and your metabolic furnace has slowed down to a crawl.

When we don't take in the correct amount of calories that our specific body needs to maintain "homeostasis", or more simply in this case the amount needed to maintain the body's everyday ability to function, the brain believes that there must be a shortage of food. And when this happens the brain tells the body's metabolic furnace to slow down and allow the body to store whatever food is taken in. And I think that's what is happening in your case.

Your body is HOARDING THE FOOD YOU EAT and your body's metabolic furnace has slowed down to a crawl. Your body is burning only what it needs to stay alive. The rest is being stored until the perceived "food shortage" is over. It's quite possible that your specific metabolism requires more than 1200 calories a day just to maintain "homeostasis" or a "balance" in the body. Until I accepted this physiologic principle I remained in "Starvation Mode" and lost NOTHING. My body stored every tiny morsel I ate. But when I started eating...I started to lose.

And in my case since I am physically unable to do any "exercise" it proved to be the INCREASE in calories that caused my metabolic furnace to ignite and my body to begin losing the weight. Now, when I hit a weight loss plateau I increase my calories a little bit (a very LITTLE, about 200 extra calories/day) and the metabolic furnace turns up the thermostat, burns hotter, and I start losing again.

Try it. What have you got to lose but weight!!!

I have to agree with you. I am going to slowly increase my weekly calorie intake - some how.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I don't know but I think you aren't listing everything you eat. I list every single ingredient for my meals and then I save the meal so that I don't have to look for the same stuff when I eat the same food again.

I don't use the mfp database to search for a complete entree because I don't know how much of each ingredient they used even for subway i go to their website and add the stuff i had on my sandwich and its more accurate that way...save it once and bam! You use it for next time.

Is it too early for you plateau? I lost most of my weight in the beginning im still losing but slowly and also cause im slacking a bit but I recognize what im doing wrong!

Good luck!

I lost 9lbs before I joined MFP. Then put 7 back on then lost the 6 you see and stuck for the past month.

I understand what you mean about logging ingredients, but how do you find the time? It would prevent me from actually cooking a meal. I just throw things in till it tastes right any how. I really only limit fats in my cooking. I don't use much sugar (1 pack lasts me over a year) as I rarely bake and usually substitute with Splenda.
  • Breizier
    Options
    Just taking a quick peek at your diary I see you don't eat breakfast. That is a huge jump to your metabolism. I know some people don't like eating Bfast ( that used to be me) but now I know it really is important so I have something lite to get me going then I have a snack mid morning before lunch. I have found that eating small amounts throughout the day is better than 2 or 3 big meals. I also noticed you did not log your water.....if you are not drinking at least 64 oz. per day you should try that. Water is huge to weight loss. I am also 53 years old and it is hard to change what you have been doing for so many years but you can do it. It has to be a life style change which will require you to do things you are willing to do for the rest of your life....I log before I eat to check to see if it is going to put me over in sugar, carbs, sodium ect. Sometimes I will adjust what I eat to stay in the green :) Good luck to you .....you can do this :)

Eating breakfast has no direct impact on your metabolism, assuming your calories are the same at the end of the day. When you should eat your meals should be based on energy levels, lifestyle, preference, adherence and satiety.

I agree with that. I am trying to work with my body instead of against it. If I am not hungry I allow myself not to eat rather than eating just because it is dinner time etc.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    yet another example of 1200 not working.

why do people still waste their time trying it?