WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,736 Member
    Options
    evening ladies,
    im a tad bit over my calories, and sugar intake for today` oh well will do better tomorrow:grumble: i plan on going to the gym in the am, then run some errands...tomorrow will be another spectacular day, maybe will take the boys for a walk at the park,,,,i keep forgetting to log my water but I know i am getting my fill, I drink 3-4 24 ounce tumblers of ice water daily. it is just the exercise thing that has me stymied.. until this heel is 100% I have to find alternatives to what i can do..
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Sue in SD – Ouch!!!! So sorry you’re in pain. Something similar happened to me last year, “the squirrel incident” - - dog saw it, I didn’t, I went boom! Healing thoughts

Karen – Welcome!!!!! You’ve found a great place to read/post with women on a similar journey – come back often for words of wisdom, laughs and advice.

DrKatiebug – Glad you’re back and on the road to ‘onederland’ - - you’re so close, it’s within your reach and May is your time! Eye on the prize, keep logging

Katla – Try to google CSA and your town/zip code and also “community garden” I’ll bet you’ll find one nearby. I’m a member of a CSA and can’t wait until they start delivering this month (at least if Mother Nature will stop snowing on us)

ShariTrask – glad you’re here, join us often!

Jodi – Excellent self-control at your group last night! I think your renewed focus on health versus weight is a “mind-shift” that is in your best interest (really all of us).

Robin – I’ve never seen a more beautiful braid in my life, and to top it off your glow of happiness from seeing your children shines through your profile photo! Sounds like the coolest weekend ever

Carol from GA – Healing and calming prayers out to you and DH. Take of each other! Great work on continuing to log

Kathyszoo – Awesome NSV!!! Great good luck on your interview for the dream job (it would be mine too, when I win the lottery I’m opening a no-kill sanctuary )

Corniche – Welcome to our lovely, lively ladies group where we are all focused on improving our health and well-being! Glad you’re here

Ddellner (Diane) – Great goals for May, keep checking here and you will find achieving them even more “doable”

Cherie – Welcome to you too! Your success so far is impressive, and your May goals sound like a great step toward further improvement in your health. Glad you’ve joined us!

Jane – So good to hear from you, hugs and prayers out to you for calm and to your father for healing! Stay strong, stay steady and check in here when you can for some Vitamin F!

Joyce – Great goals for May, you’re putting your health journey in overdrive!

Meg – So glad Benny is home, his getting up to go outside is encouraging. Hoping his pain (and yours too) subsides quickly. Thank you too for crossed digits!

Colograndma.....(Connie) – Welcome!!!!!!! You’ll be so glad you found this group, read & post often for laughs, support and words of wisdom. I see you’re from Grand Junction, are you getting snow there like we are in the Denver/Colorado Springs area? Hope not for your sake (can you tell I’m kinda over it?)

Pam – how wonderful that you’re halfway “home” to your goal weight. I’ll be there soon, which will be a real milestone worth celebrating. This health journey is a process, but also for me a learning opportunity.

Brooke from Colorado

“Don’t base a permanent decision on a temporary emotion.”
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Happy May Day :-)
    My May Goals are:

exercise 40 minutes 6 days a week, decrease artificial sweeteners whether from colas, or sweetener for decaf coffee, eat more vegetables and fruit, eat NO empty calories, and increase my whole grain, i.e. try some I've never tried before like ameranth maybe.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Today I had my first chance of the month to practice my goal “Be agreeable---say OK”. Jake and I had a great lunch and I read him a great chapter from ”Thinner This Year”, thinking that I had a nice long afternoon to plan my Friday dance class, work in the yard, walk the dogs, do whatever I wanted. When I finished reading Jake said, “So do you want to go to WalMart and the grocery store?” My insides said “No, I have a bunch a stuff I want to do, why can’t you ever do shopping errands by yourself?” and my mouth said “OK, I’d love to.”

:flowerforyou: Joy, I am so happy to see you posting again and so sorry to hear that you’ve been sick. The chapter I read to Jake today from “Thinner This Year” was about what to do after you’ve binged and gone way off track, and the short story is to get back on the horse and double down your resolve……your “fast metabolism diet” sounds like just the thing.

:flowerforyou: Marcia, I’m thinking healing peaceful thoughts for you and your dental work.

:flowerforyou: Lea, your travel plans sound awesome and healthy

:flowerforyou: Barbara, anything you do to help your dancing is a good thing.

:flowerforyou: Sue, sorry to hear about your arm---it’s a good thing that your goals seem to be using your legs instead of your arms----the only falls I can remember have occurred with one or more leashed dogs attached to me.

:flowerforyou: Karen, welcome and keep coming back for the encouragement and support you’ll need for this journey.

:flowerforyou: Jodios, staying on track is the way to get to your goal (you called it being good, but it’s the same thing)

:flowerforyou: Corniche from Scotland, we’re delighted to have you with us…you will find this group the fellowship you seek.

:bigsmile: Cityjane, I love your quote----life: use the whole box of crayons

:flowerforyou: Diane, setting your goals in baby steps is the best way to do them….goals should be achievable, not “pie in the sky”

:flowerforyou: Cherie, congrats to you for your weight loss so far and for going back to no sugar, no flour. I’m reading a book now that’s filled the scientific reasons that sugar and flour are not good choices.

:flowerforyou: Janehadji, it’s good to hear from you again in spite of all the scary news about your dad…..you sound like you’re holding up very well with all you have to deal with…congrats on your 5 star recognition.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, I like your goals
    three that you can control and only one that you can’t control…walking on the treadmill is different from walking outside—it’s a good idea to not compare the two, just compare your treadmill success tomorrow with what you did today, not what you did outside.

:flowerforyou: Jackie, your running and conditioning goals are impressive

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, hooray for wearing your pedometer----keep it up

:flowerforyou: Meg, thanks for the update on Benny….it seems like forever when our fur children are recovering.

:flowerforyou: Connie in Colorado, have your read “Strong Women Stay Young”? It has a great starter level strength training plan.

:flowerforyou: Pam, the best way to keep your eye on the prize is to recognize this as your new way of life, not just the bus to your destination

:bigsmile: The update on my afternoon is that we only went to WalMart because Jake remembered that his friends from California are coming on Saturday to stay the night and we’ll have to buy groceries for when they’re here so he figured he’d wait until he finds out what they eat for breakfast before going to the store and he can do that by himself on the way home from the gym tomorrow. We got home early enough for me to have a snack, work in the yard, walk the dogs, practice my dances for the class I’m teaching Friday morning and the performance I’m doing Friday afternoon, fix another healthy snack, and spend time on the computer responding to this thread.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where there was frost in the morning with a warm sunny afternoon.
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: “The only real freedom a human being can ever know is doing what you ought to do because you want to do it.”

Resolutions for May
    *walk at least 18,000 steps a day----23,000 steps a day average
    * putter in the yard 5 days a week, 15-60 minutes each day
    *cook with tofu once a week
    *be agreeable----say “OK”

:bigsmile: "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Had a Violet story to share.Tomorrow is my birthday.She`s pretty excited because,after mine hers is on the 5th.
    So she tells me,I`m taking you out to lunch.I said,thanks,but you better ask Dad.Lo and behold,my son calls and asks if I want to go to lunch.This is a big deal,cos my kids usually don`t do that.
    Welcome all new ladies.
    My goals are to do more cardio and try to get to the fitness center more.Watch my night eating,which has gotten better.
    Have a good night!
    HUGS:heart:
    jane
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I checked in early this morning before my emergency dental. Thanks for the well wishes from some of you. Interesting, you can have 3 roots in a tooth. I very much trust my dentist of many years, but it was one he missed, thus the pain! All solvable. I am very glad I am not a dentist. It was a good food and health day.
    Until tomorrow, have a good night.
    Marcia, N VA
  • luvbuttons
    luvbuttons Posts: 43
    Options
    bump till tomorrow
    Sharon from Michigan
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    sbrownallison - welcome! We all need to do weights AND cardio in addition to watching our diets. Actually, increasing your muscle mass helps you burn more calories for a longer period after your workout than doing cardio, so weights are your friend.

Eileen - good for you in that your pants are too big. Now to give them away, you don't still have them, do you?

sunshine - that was so nice of you to extend the challenge. Boy, have you been busy. So sorry you were sick, but glad you're better now. Rome! That's one of the places I would like to go to

Got up, went on the Wii, then started to get dressed. Vince came in the bathroom and said "what are you doing up". It was only 5:00!!!! Went to yoga and then deep water class. Tomorrow I'll do Jari Love Revved to the Max DVD.

Marcia in northern VAn- really do hope the pain isn't something serious

DeeDee - sure, one chair for you and one for me. Looks like we're going to have to share with Cindy, tho. Hey, one can be in the spa while the other two are in the chairs. That works!

M - Vince just told me about how the central US is getting snow. It's May, isn't it???

grandmalle - that's right, getting to the gym every other day is certainly better than not at all.

It's cloudy and overcast right now. The paper says it is supposed to get colder as the week goes on, but with this weather, you never can tell.

katla - we're glad you're here

Welcome anyone else new that I may have missed (moey??)

Sue in SD - OUCH!!!! Please let us know how your shoulder is

karenross - welcome! Sounds like you're making good choices. That's so important. Be sure to stop by often!

drkatiebug - welcome back!

sharitrasksan - welcome! You must be very busy. Come in often.

jodios - good for you not having those M&M's! I like your attitude about NSV success. That's so very important, probably even more than what the scale shows.

kathy - yea for you doing pilates and getting your mind off your hunger. Many times it really isn't hunger at all, sometimes we're thirsty, and you proved how many times it isn't hunger at all. Do so hope you get the job.

corniche - it would be more than OK for you to join in. I find it's so nice to chat with people who are "mature".

cityjane - shopping for new clothes...what a wonderful thing to have to do

Diane - welcome! This group IS addicting. Great goal!

cherie - welcome and congrats on the weight lost so far.

Jane in CO - my, you sure have a lot on your plate with your father and all. You always were and continue to be a wonderful daughter. Congrats on the recognition. It's always so good to be recognized, isn't it?

jmkmomm - keep at the treadmill and before you know it, it'll be relatively easy. I use the treadmill a lot and one time a neighbor and I went outside walking (because it was nice). I was really winded!

Connie - welcome. sounds like you have a great handle on things. Come join us any time at all. Congrats on the new home

jane - happy birthday!!!! And to Violet, too!

Marcia - Vince had the same thing happen to him, three roots in one tooth and he was in pain, so I totally understand how you feel. Glad it's all taken care of.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Re Community Gardens: I love gardening but don’t have the time for a big garden now. I enjoy what I can grow in my “fringe” but also enjoy buying from the nearby farm in season. I admire and envy those who can garden and I whimper a little and sigh...:wink:

Jodiios: You are a wise and sensible woman. Focusing on eating healthier and exercising more is what we all need to do to have a better quality of life.:smile: I am, however, NOT a fan of green tea. :noway: Might as well drink cascara, the active ingredient in Exlax.:sick:

Carol in GA: You and your DH are in my prayers. I hope things go well and you can lower your stress level to a more comfortable place. You can’t help him if you get so upset you make yourself sick. While giving care, include yourself. I’ve had recent experience with this due to DH’s February stroke.:flowerforyou:

Corniche: Welcome! Barbie is an angel, not a gatekeeper. All goodhearted women are welcome here.:bigsmile:

cityjane: I don’t think wanting to be the best you can is prideful. I’m impressed by your goals and may adopt them in another 30 or so pounds.:flowerforyou:

Diane: Welcome! BMR’s, TDEE’s and all are great for those who are into it. I’m very happy with the results of following MFP’s basic program. They set my calories and I record everything I eat and drink. I eat back part of my exercise calories but not all of them. I’m making enough progress that I feel successful, healthier, and happier. I also seldom/never feel deprived. (I do occasionally feel hungry.) I hope you’ll find a happy path that rewards but doesn’t punish you.:flowerforyou:

Jane in CO: You’re in a tough spot and are in my prayers. Your dad is sure to appreciate all that you do to help him, even when he can’t, or doesn’t, say so. Don’t be hard on yourself. You are a terrific daughter.:heart:

jkmomm: Excellent goals! :flowerforyou:

Jo in Wales: Great goals!:flowerforyou:

CO Gandma Connie: Welcome! You’ve found a great group of supportive women. I’d like to think I’d have made progress anyway, but it would have been a lot less pleasant. This group is amazing.:flowerforyou:

Newbies I might have missed: Welcome! This is a great group.:flowerforyou:

We went plant shopping after DH’s appointment with the Chinese Medicine Dr. I eventually bought an evergreen blueberry plant that is quite attractive. It is in its pot at the spot where I need it, BUT… I’m thinking it might be happy in another spot too, so I’ll be deciding after moving it from place to place. I tell DH that it is all part of the fun. And it is true. Yoga tomorrow! Yay! And the clock repair lady. Send the clock good thoughts.:flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy may everyone! Congratulations for our successes and prayers for those struggling! ((((HUGS))))
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Happy May Friends!
    WOW! I can hardly believe we are on page three already!
    I am having such a hard time keeping up with everything!
    I haven't had a chance to think about my May goals and I did not achieve my April goals.
    Oh hum!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for starting us on a new month. This week has been crazy busy and I've got something to do tomorrow and Friday. I need to look up my April goals (not good, as they should have been front and center all month). I'll come back tomorrow with May goals.
    Sue in TX
  • nannikins
    nannikins Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm Nannikins. I'm 53 and a working mother of two teenish kids. My husband is terrific and very supportive of my weight loss efforts. I'd love to have a place to go on the boards for regular support. (To give, and to receive). Some days feel so easy on
    this plan, then others I just find myself craving more food. I'm on a 1200 calories/day plan, which seems very reasonable. I've lost 8 lbs. so far, and I'm really excited to be making progress, slow but steady.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more about your successes and challenges.

Nannikins
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Happy May Day!!!

Today went to the gym and the goal was 45 minutes on the treadmill but my ankle started to hurt so only 35 minutes.

At work we stayed at the center all day with our clients. I pack this healthy lunch but when it came time to eat it -- it wad gone no where in the fridge. So all that left to eat was the clients cooking project. Sure was ok but not what I packed or wanted. I have shared before but ...

Work was stessful today 2 of the clients got into a physical fit. Not my favorite day. Sure glad when it was over.

@Barbie. Thanks for getting new page started.

Welcome to all of the newbies.

Liz
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy May!!! to all the Divalisciouses!!! ( I just made up that word)
    I will continue with April's goals...didn't plant anything in my yard yet just cleaned it up. Anywho my new goal for May is portion control, I usually stay within my cal range but still new to watch my portions. I up the exercise walking daily, and adding some extra calistetics.
    All of you are great inspirations!! To all the moms and grandmas " Happy Mother's Day" !!

Rosalind in NJ
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    HI everyone I'm new here....this is my first post! I fit the criteria (50+ arrhhhhh), and proud of it. If anyone wants to message me please do! But May is here and the sun is shining. I'm off work today and I've got a lot of exercise planned. For May, I want to lose 7 pounds. I want to start meditation for my mind, i want to make more time to play with my grand child. I want to help others achieve their goals too.

I'm hopefully coming to the end of a 21 month journey to lose 196 pounds. I've got 14 pounds to go. Hence, I've joined this site to help me on the last difficult bit. I've put before and after pics on my profile, if anyone is interested.
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Just checking in quickly to welcome all the new ladies and say what great goals all my VitF ladies have for May - good luck to you all!
    It's a beautiful day here again so I am off out to see friends then a long walk to the beach and some gardening! Must make the most of the weather - but the downside is less time to respond to you all!

Seize the day - it will be gone by midnight tonight!

Going to see how much I can pack in again today!

:flowerforyou: Jo

WALES UK
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    brookehe - First off, good luck with the interview! The cruise was just ok. My mom had a blast and was out there everyday with her friend .... had a hard time keeping up with them!! My mother in law drove me nuts. She diabetic and "forgot" to bring the things to test her sugar and then proceeded to eat dessert 3 times a day! Plus loads of carbs. By the third day I was so concerned that I went down to the doc on the ship and bought supplies from them (which was REALLY reasonable I thought - Less than $50 for the sticker, 100 needles and alcohol wipes). Turns out that her sugar was close to 300. But she could care less. I'm pretty sure it never went below 200 the whole 15 days. And she refused to take showers and we had to pay to have the couch shampooed after we left because she refuses to wear depends and would just wet herself and sit in it. She said it was too much trouble to get up and go to the bathroom. :sad: Sounds like she's lost her mind but she hasn't. And it sounds like we shouldn't have taken her on a cruise but she been bugging us and bugging us so now it's done. And never again! However, my mom is planning on coming to see us next year and wants to know if she can bring another friend and if we can go on a Northern Europe cruise while she's here. :heart: As far at the Fast Metabolism Diet goes, I'm logging my food and made it public so if you want to check out what I'm eating feel free. :wink:

skuehn48 - UGH! Been there, done that. NOT FUN! Feel better soon! :flowerforyou: I'm so surprised by all the crazy weather everyone is having! Even us, hubby just called to see if it was snowing here because it's snowing at his work!

kareneross, sharitrasksan, ddellner, soyasee, colograndma, nannikins, and santd - Welcome! These are a wonderful bunch of ladies here. I have received so much inspiration from them.

drkatiebug - I've also taken a break for a few months. I'll come everyday if you do. :wink:

peachstategal - oh my! I'm so sorry about that. Remember that while you are taking care of your husband, you need to take care of yourself too!

corniche - Hi! We're a few miles from you too (LOL!) We're in Stavanger, Norway.

megblair1 - Thanks!

barbiecat - sounds like a great book. And thanks for checking up on me when I wasn't checking in on here. :heart:

keepitnewmarc - actually, I had a tooth with 5 roots! And 2 of them were wound up in my sinus cavity. Nasty, nasty surgery to get it all fixed. I hope you are doing great now!

exermom - Rome is FANTASTIC! I have lots and lots of blogging that I need to do about it but I started in March. If you are interested, you can read about it here: http://www.ronandjoyinnorway.blogspot.com/

Ok, that's it for me for now. Time to go eat my snacks (and I'm not even hungry!) and try to sort out my pictures so I can work on the blog. And MIL is wanting some attention. She thinks I've spent too much time on the computer. :grumble:
  • wilmasheridan
    wilmasheridan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Month of May seems like a great time time to begin my 5 mile morning walks. How do I join the group? I'm a newby.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,268 Member
    Options
    Wow santd, - what a fantastic weightloss. :flowerforyou: Your profile photos are incredible and very inspiring. I must sort out some pictures, but at my worst I hid from the camera. I wish I hadn't now!
    NSV today. We have a local election round here and the village hall where we go to vote has got a charity clothes bin for Air Ambulance. This morning I put my grown out of trousers, 5 pairs, two sweaters, a twin set, 2 cardigans and some other things into a bag and we are going to take them along when we go to vote. DH is also taking stuff he is tired of.
    It's such a great feeling when you get rid of old stuff and so freeing, but I have no money to replace it. DH is going to buy me my new party dress, but I can't expect him to fund everyday stuff. I will just have to keep wearing the couple of things that fit, like you do on holiday. I feel as I am on holiday as the sun is still shining! :bigsmile:
    Welcome new people. Hugs to those with aches and pains. :love: