WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know calories burned for dragon boating? I tried it for the first time after work tonight for 1.5 hours. It was great fun and I never noticed the time, although I may notice the muscles tomorrow.

I googled it but not having too much luck. It is not the same as rowing. It is paddling. (I know, I know...wth difference does that make)

Help

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC

Calories burned per 30 minutes: 81-117 easy paddling, 243-348 strenuous paddling.

I found this information on a couple of sites and the calorie counts were similar. Dragon boat racing definitely strenuous. Take care of your sore shoulders and arms.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    @exermom I'm in Central NJ; Lol! when i saw how much rice, oatmeal, spagehtti etc...I was supposed to eat I had a rude awaking, so yes portion control will be a great challenge for me.
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    santd congratulations on your accomplishment!!! you look stunning!
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Posting on this group for the first time.

I'm from North Eastern Washington state...Northport, just a stones throw from Canada. Last year I got down to 115 but over the long cold boring winter I gained back 20 lbs. :frown:

Working on loosing it again.

My goal for May is to start walking again.

JamieDD
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump :glasses:
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well, today I start Phase 2 of our new diet. The hardest for us. No carbs or fruits, only protein and veggies. Luckily it's only for 2 days so hopefully I can manage it! And we're taking a road trip this weekend. Hooray! 16 hours in the car with MIL. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

wilmasheridan - hello and welcome! 5 mile morning walks sound like a great idea! Maybe when I feel better I'll try to start that as well.

cityjaneLondo - I've always kept my "fat clothes" just in case I gain weight again but this time I'm not! As I out grow them, off to Goodwill they go! Do you have a party in mind that you are going to for the party dress? Or is it just in case?

mamaomefo - I'm so ready for a pretty day too. Rain and high winds here again. I'm ready for sunshine!

drkatiebug - hello! Are you here today? :tongue:

mamacindy81 - I'm trying a different diet (the Fast Metabolism Diet) where I'm not suppose to count calories. I'm inputting the food though and man, I HATE that the site thinks I'm WAY over in calories!

Katla49 - I wish my home was a haven. MIL is here with us for 3 weeks before we take her back to the US and it's driving me crazy. She has a laundry hamper yet throws her wet/messy undies on the floor for me to pick up. I could go on and on and on but I'll just leave it there. Good thing is she wants to go to Bergen tomorrow and hubby told her she HAS to take a shower before he'll drive 8 hours in the car with her so she's promised to take a shower today. 16 hours in the car for 2 days is not going to be fun though. The diet we are on suggests Yoga as an exercise for phase 3. I've bought a DVD for beginners and am looking forward to trying it!

juliemartinol, incanto50, 52golfnut, enzio33, vulcan06, JamieDD- Welcome! These are a great bunch of ladies that are very encouraging. :heart:

Laura80111 - I'm sorry about Peanut. Pet are so much a part of a family.

yanniejannie - I wish! If we were back in the US I could use that but since we're in Norway and she has no doctor here she would know it's an empty threat. One more week, one more week, one more week (my mantra)

grandmallie - I don't know that I'm eating "clean" but I'm following the Fast Metabolism Diet which is suppose to reset your metabolism in 28 days to be what it was like when we are younger. For 28 days I can't have caffeine, dairy, alcohol, wheat, corn, soy, refined sugar, dried fruits or fruit juices, artificial sweeteners and no fat-free diet foods. Phase 1 is good carbs and fruit for 2 days (with limited protein), phase 2 is protein and dark green leafy veggies for 2 days and phase 3 is both of those, adding in healthy fats for 3 days. Then repeat. The idea is to confuse your metabolism so it starts burning. I have to eat 5 times a day and I have to a LOT of water. Supposedly you can lose 20 pounds in 28 days. I'll let you know how it goes.

DeeDee2211 - sounds like you and I both gained about the same amount of weight. Time we get cracking and get it going in the opposite direction!!

brookehe - thanks! The good part is I only have to go through it once a year (since we live so far away). I really don't think I could do this day in and day out with no end in site. As it is, I'm SO looking forward to May 11th, when hubby gets on a plane to take her back to the US and I'll be in the house all by myself

LucyT4dieting - thanks! I've never thought about sodium. Hmmmmm .... I wonder if I should?

Joy
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I found my April goals!

1) Get scale going in right direction...yes:bigsmile: and no:sad: , down 1 pound from highest weight:bigsmile: , but still 8 to go to get back to lowest weight:cry: .
    2) Get totally well before embarking on anything else....yes, I think other than a few allergies I`m good:bigsmile:
    3) Laugh everyday...thanks to my wonderful friends here....yes:laugh: .
    4) Have fun and enjoy life...most everyday:tongue:
    5) Get closet cleand out....got half of it cleaned out:frown: .

Goals for May:

1) Eat 1600 calories everday this month, or as close as I can to it.
    2) Buy protein powder to try.
    3) Use my resistance bands 3 times a week.
    4) Get flowers planted this month!
    5) Finish the closet clean out!

I`m out of time again this morning:noway: :grumble: ! I keep saying I hope to pop back in later in the day and it seems like I never do:embarassed: , so I`ll say I`ll try to catch up with everyone this weekend. I do read all the posts and I wish all well!!

Have a great day ladies! It`s Friday:bigsmile: !!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hug,
    DeeDee in cool, cloudy (again) NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    well im back..
    was up at 4:30 this morning and to the gym...
    feelin good.. finally broke the plateau and hopefully on my way down,down down.made the DH dinner and getting my lunch together gonna run and take a shower and get ready for work..
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF!!had a great birthday.Thanks for the birthday wishes.Tomorrow is Violet`s party.My grandkids from IN are coming in.Can`t wait.
    Have a great day!!
    hugs
    jane
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhh May finally!!!!:smile: I was wondering if it would ever get here :grumble:

Happy May all...April was a long mth because of all the changes going on...May I am going to try to get back on track...Been taking my sister to have her radiation treatments and it is taken its toll on her..she gets nausea's and it weakens her more each time ...today is another she went to have one yesterday and the machine broke down... so now she has to do it all over again today ..she is strong emotionally but her body is giving up :cry:

I haven't put myself wholly into losing this weight..I sabotage it all on my own...so I pray May will be a better month for me..I have did diets in the early years and did ok ..but it is so much harder as I get older...I think I will try some of those drinks you can get to replace a meal...I don't know how high the calories are in those but I will check.

My May goals;
    Spend as much time as I can with my sister :flowerforyou:
    Get outside to do my walks, been doing them inside :glasses:
    Get my may cleaning down in my apartment...dust everywhere :grumble:
    Don't let my pain overtake my life..get out more :love:
    To get my scales showing me lower numbers..:sad:

Going to get going on the house cleaning...here's me pushing myself up.:noway: ...reaching for the dust rag..*bones cracking...back groaning:sad: .......up up and away..oh {{{{Happy day All}}}}
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning

Just finished 30 minutes on the elliptical. It gives me about 1/2 the calorie burn that this site gives me. Oh well better to go by the machine.

My son is just about finished laying my livingroom floor. Next onto the diningroom. When we get the carpet pulled up in there there will only be one more room to go! But we will wait on that one until after his wedding in June. Which reminds me Ive got to get what we pulled up last out by the street so the garbage truck will haul it away!

Cindy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,266 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Well, I got on the train with my best dresses and took them to a shop that will sell them for me and give me a cut. If they haven't sold in 6 weeks I get them back. It feels good to have done something with them, though when I think of the cost of them it breaks my heart. They were dresses for weddings etc. so extra special.
    Then I went looking round town for a dress for my SIL' s party in June. I felt in a complete daze and didn't know what I wanted. I am the world's worst shopper and usually do it on line from stores I know. Trouble is I don't normally wear dresses so kept thinking, well, I won't get any wear out of this. !!!!!
    Last night I tried on some old party stuff I've had in the wardrobe for 23 years. It fits! But it's all black and this is a summer seaside party. :grumble: :ohwell:
    Then I needed lunch so I found a noodle bar and had Tom Yum soup with salmon. I'm guessing around 400 calories. It was very nice anyway.
    Beautiful weather again.I'm sure I'll get my act together before long. I've always been like this around buying clothes; anything except the basics throw me into a panic so I tend to stick to the same old things. I was terrified of buying skinny jeans recently, but now you can't get me out of them. They are my new 'uniform' !:laugh:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Prom night for my little Vanderbilt bound beauty. Expect pictures.

As for me it was really easy to stay on track yesterday. I have a tooth hurting so bad I can't bear to try eating. I really hope I can find a dentist who can see me. I never knew pain could be so intense.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    TGIF Vitamin F Friends!

Well I told you all I was a novice gardener....my "almost dead" bush is not a hosta, but ornamental grass.:embarassed: My neighbor informed me of this fact last night and said to dig out the parts that are dead and to leave the parts that are still alive (just a few shoots). Since the dogs always want to go there, I'm not sure what I can do to ward them off. My neighbor said she has something to help, but I don't think it will deter Milo (the wonder dog) as I have used the bitter apple spray to get him to stop licking his paws to the point that he gets sores and it doesn't seem to work. I actually think he likes it! I saw this thing in a magazine that looks like a rock and you can put it over the box, but I have three boxes (one large rectangle and two taller ones), so I don't know what else to do. AARRGGHH! :explode:

I am still planning to spend my weekend planting my flower garden. DH tilled the soil earlier this week and I have been weeding for weeks (a little at a time), so I'm ready! We are also putting in vegetable gardens. Last year was the first year for vegetables and we had killer zucchini, cherry tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. We learned that zucchini grows so large that it blocks out the sun and affects the other plants, so we are putting them in a separate spot this year. Also going to try some herbs in a separate spot.:flowerforyou:

I lived in a small row home in Philly my whole life so really couldn't do much gardening. We only moved here four years ago, so now that I have the space, I'm trying to learn. Can you really teach an old dog new tricks? We'll see!:laugh:

I'm taking Zicam and hoping that I am healthy enough to ward off this head cold. DH has been resting and feels slightly better. At least he got some sleep last night. That helps.:happy:

I've heard a saying that there's a skinny person inside of every fat person waiting to be released. I'm sort of feeling like right now there's a fat person inside of my thin outside person struggling to come out.:devil: I've been fighting off the binges, but I have been feeling very hungry and it's been a difficult few weeks. Do I feel better now that I've lost the weight? YES! And I don't want to gain this weight back again as I've been a yo yo dieter my whole life. But maintenance is HARD!!! Harder than losing the weight. Is it habit? Is it genetic? I think about food a lot, and I'm pretty sure that naturally thin people don't. How do I change that? I've been eating smaller portions (since portion control seems to be the main problem), exercising regularly (I still hate it), and drinking all of my water since last August, but I still struggle. Does it ever get easier? Will I ever think stop thinking about....worrying about....obsessing about FOOD?:mad:

I stopped my hormone pills a few months ago on my doctor's suggestion, and have been experiencing night sweats, hot flashes, trouble sleeping, and mood swings. I thought I was over that when my PMS symptoms went away, but this is just as bad. I wonder if the problems I've been having with being hungry all the time are a direct result of menopause? If anyone can share their experience with me and/or offer some suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks everyone for being here and sorry about the rant...just having a moment!

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE.:frown:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all newbies. You join by posting. This is a lovely group of women.:flowerforyou:

Sunshine: Meat and veggies sounds like most of my diet most of the time. But the variety offered by carbs and fruits is quite welcome. :wink: I think two days of steak and broccoli wouldn’t be a bad thing. :smile: I didn’t realize your MIL came home with you, and I’m sorry you don’t have your haven back yet. :ohwell: Her personal hygiene habits make me wonder whether there is some dementia going on there. Good thoughts for patience and endurance are heading your way.:flowerforyou:

Grandmalllie: Congratulations on breaking your plateau! I have too, for the moment, but another will be along to take its place shortly. That’s how I go; down a couple of pounds, plateau, down a couple of pounds, plateau… What matters to me is that the trend is always down and after over 45 pounds my skin still fits pretty well. Maybe it is a little too big, but not bad.:laugh:

LizPlus: I’m sorry to hear that your sister is having such a bad time. To lose this weight successfully, I think a person has to be somewhat self-focused. Right now you are focused on your sister. Don’t be too hard on yourself and do the best you can to make healthy choices. In your position, Id’ be hard pressed to do more than log my calories every day. And that would be a good accomplishment in my way of thinking.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

This morning DH is going in for an MRI, which means we are going in as I’m the driver now. The main road over the hills is closed for repairs, and that should make for an interesting drive on alternate routes.

Try to enjoy the little pleasures, and log every bite.:flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well, I meant to join you all in April – but I got busy on my newsfeed instead.
    But I'm going to try to stay on your topic here for the month of May.

My goals for May include upping my protein grams & watching/lowering my carb grams
    and researching some exercises to do at home for arms and back and shoulders so I can do arms back shoulder workouts at home in June

I need to add abs and core exercises eventually but I will save that for July goals :-)

Have a great day !!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Hey, Sunshine. I'm here! You better put down a plastic shower curtain on your car seat for your MIL.

I couldn't sleep last night. I have this little annoying cough left over from a spring cold. I finally took some cough medicine around 3:00 a.m. BIG MISTAKE! I am up but dizzy. I'm about to head out for my daily 2.8 mile walk. Hopefully I can shake the dizziness. My husband is going, too. We'll walk another 3 miles tonight at Relay for LIfe.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Loving that it's Friday,

Too much to do in my short time here at work and a list of things to do once I'm off work. So I am pretty much just marking my spot.:wink:

Oh I forgot to let you all know that last Friday at my Annual Physical my doctor was very pleased with my total healthy attitude. My weight was #11 less than the last time I saw her, my BMI is in the healthy range and she said I haven't changed at all:blushing: in appearance since I last saw her three years ago (that's how long it's been since we had insurance). I just got my results back in the mail yesterday and it says that I'm "normal" so I'm good for another year.

Will try and check in later if I get home from my errands and can get to the computer.

Have a great day, drink the water and log it:drinker:

Laura80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    May goals, I haven't given too much thought on that one except to stay on-track with logging and activity. I've been going to the gym lately now that the weather is warmer. Not so warm today though with a record low in the 30's for Texas.

This week I recorded my first loss over last week for 2013. I've been bouncing around with 2-3 lbs all year and I am taking the 1 lb loss. Hopefully it will be enough to put my mind and metabolism in gear.

I see many new faces on the thread which is awesome. I ♥ the support I get from my MFP ladies. I am much better at keeping up with my home page than I am the topics. Anyways welcome to all the ladies.

Laura, that is wonderful news on your check-up! Good reason to get out there and enjoy that bike ride this weekend.

Katie, Spring colds are the worst to get over; I hope you felt better and not dizzy after your morning walk so that you can enjoy your Relay for Life walk. It's nice to have a husband that walks with you; mine will but only on occasions.

Well, ladies that's about all the time I have today as I need to get to work. I did read more posts than I am commenting and again I must say it is great to see the good response and sharing on this thread.

A blessed and glorious Friday to all!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!! DH put in a new disposal last night..........good news, it works and the job went smoothly!!!

I ended up going to a tai chi class last night to try it and stayed for a yoga session so didn't even get home until 9ish........but I sure slept well. Did another yoga session with this woman again this am, in place of reg. exercise class, and it lasted an hour and fifteen min.---I've never had a yoga class last soooooooo long.......is that usual for anyone??? Also did some bike this am first.

Well, today I got to do my happy dance......... 20lbs gone; major, major milestone!!! It's been exactly 16 weeks (Jan.11) since I started and the last 5lbs. came off between 4/02 and 5/03, so still maintaining a nice pace of loss.

Mwheatcraft.........dinner sounded great.........I would have gladly eaten his share......

Michele.....hope your DH is feeling better, I think warm weather bugs are the worst.........I play mahjongg on the computer; is that at all similar to how you play in person?........I saw an ad to teach it locally, thinking about checking it out

Cityjane...........thrilled that someone else likes Tom Yum!!

Brooke........thx. for the 100cal snack list

wessecg...........hope you find get a dentist and get out of pain; very much looking forward to the prom pics........it's SUCH a special night for them

yanniejannie