Oatmeal... that doesn't taste like paste?

Options
13»

Replies

• cc141
    cc141 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal with peanut butter and banana =] I sometimes add chia seeds too
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A bit of vanilla extract, frozen or fresh berries, any type of milk, bananas, molasses if you like it, salt, butter, sweet or savoury spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, dill, basil, etc). Mix and match :)

I do frozen raspberries, vanilla, and sometimes milk at the moment.

ETA: Also nuts, dried fruit (raisins, craisins, dates, etc), nut butters, apple or pear bits, and so on.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Berries and honey are what I add.
    I have also mashed banana and mixed it in when I was feeding my Nephew, he loved it.
    Fruits are a good way to go!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I've been eating steel cut oats and putting them into the crock pot overnight with apples, maple syrup (better than white sugar IMHO), cinnamon and vanilla extract.

Simple and I don't have to lift a finger before I've had my coffee.

1886_zpsc7f7d3c6.jpg

directions for this please! Looks amazing! :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    My favorite is strawberries and mango with a little skim milk.
    I keep bags of berries and mango in my freezer and take out what I need.
  • werneket
    werneket Posts: 20
    Options
    These are great tips. You can also cook it in a crock pot over night with your frozen fruit so its ready when you wake. Also adding cottage cheese is good it makes the texture nice and gives a protein boost ( better for blood sugars).
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Don't eat oatmeal if you don't like it. I personally hate it.

I do hate oatmeal, with a passion. but I want to ditch the Slim Fast shakes I've been drinking for breakfast (and which fill me up, but are loaded with sugar).

No need to eat what you do not like! One of my favorite breakfast foods is an egg white omelet and toast!

South western style egg beaters 10 cals per table spoon (I use about 5-6)
    Jimmy dean turkey sausage crumbles 70 cals per half cup serving (but I generally do not use that much)
    raw spinach: < 10 cals for a small amount tossed in the omelet
    laughing cow cheese: 35 cals per wedge
    2 pieces of publix reduced calorie wheat bread toasted: 80 cals

Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal but I don't eat it every day. Often I'll just have a banana and greek yogurt if I'm running late, but otherwise I love to do scrambled eggs with salsa and/or mushrooms, plus turkey bacon on the side.
  • MooseAtoZ
    MooseAtoZ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Raw honey. Still sugary, I know, but it's good, good stuff. Agave nectar is sweet as honey, but rates a zero on the glycemic index. And I insist on dried cranberries over raisins in my bowl.
    Also, if I need a protein boost, I mix a tablespoon or so of peanut butter into my oatmeal. Tastes incredible.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I put some milk (I use flax), some Butter (Smart Balance with Flax), a dash of cinnamon and some maple syrup
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe and it's awesome. Good to try if you hate plain oatmeal like I do and need to cut out sugars. (I'm diabetic so I hear ya completely)

1/2 cup plain oats
    1 cup milk (I prefer almond)
    1/2 apple
    1 tablespoon peanut butter or almond butter.
    Sprinkle of cinnamon
    Ice to taste or consistency preference.

Mix in blender.

It's called a Peanut Butter Velvet Smoothie. You can also add to it for workout days. I tend to add chia seeds and chocolate protein powder to it and it ends up tasting like a Reese's!!

As for otherwise, I tend to keep frozen fruit on hand and will add some to my plain oatmeal. Also Quaker makes a reduced sugar version of some of their flavored oatmeals, and they also have a perfect portions bag that you can add to it whatever you want, and it comes in Maple and Cinnamon flavors.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Salt.:smile: