People who say "Hon"

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, someone I won't be friending. Really? Getting upset over a something that like that?

Luckily you aren't on my friend's list because you'd just end up de-friending me because I call people hun (or hon as you spell it) now and again. It's not disrespectful and it's meant as a term of endearment.

First. World. Problems...obviously.

Have a good day...hun.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    double post
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hon, no.

Doll, yes.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    one day, i hope that i have absolutely no problems in my life, and therefore can chose to get annoyed over the tiniest little things like what pet names couples call each other.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Slow news day
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Hate it. Feels condescending to me. I live in the south and people say it all.the.time.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Aussies say 'Darl" (Darling)
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You would absolutely hate me as I use "hun" all the time.

I also call various friends sexy, sweetness, handsome, beautiful, etc. ... i.e. "Nice work beautiful!"

To each his own I guess ...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    They aren't flirting, they've forgotten your name.

That's why I use it :bigsmile:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I say it every so often but usually in a more supportive meaning. Hon would never be something I say to flirt.
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    Slow news day

I almost choked on my Greek yogurt, cheers! :laugh:
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    annoying, litle condescendent
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    I just hate everyone and everything equally.

LOL
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    BALTIMORE!

Yep!! Stay away from Bawlmer, hun! lol!! :laugh:
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who hates it when people say Hon? Like "Nice job Hon", or whatever. It just seems like this really cheesy attempt to be flirty and drives me crazy.

People who say "Hon" are of the sort who are conditioned to commit and to receive terms of affection as a preferred form of communication to what is their cultural norm; The intention is to not insult or to flirt. For some it'll be seen as being too familiar and too forward; Inappropriate and maligning even.

I will assume that in a way it's an equaliser, much unlike the terms many used to resort to before, "Miss, Ma'ame, Madam, Mrs, Ms."

Personally, I'd quickly accommodated their practice via exposure throughout the UK and select Anglo-dominant British Commonwealth of Nations through bouts of intensive immersion ~ friends families and the surrounding community network via the educational institution(s) and place(s) of work.

It's one of those things ~ you're either conditioned to accept it or you'll most likely be repulsed by it entirely.

Edited to add: Agree with the posters who are highlighting "intent." It comes down to the cross-cultural measures of conformity and intolerance ~ Substance vs Intent by interpretation.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm 55. Not wild about younger people calling sweetie or "young lady." It seems condescending, but in reality that's probably not the intent.

Not a big deal in the great scheme of things. It's preferable to "hey ugly," or "biotch." lol.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Don't ever visit Baltimore... Hon is actually a thing there.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I just hate everyone and everything equally.

Are you and Jof related?
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    They aren't flirting, they've forgotten your name.

^^^ This ... they can't be bothered to remember your name ...
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    You should count yourself lucky that you don't live in Yorkshire, UK...where men are referred to as "c0ck"

"Now then c0ck" = Hello