How do you get rid of the C-section "flap"?

Options
:embarassed:
I have lost 30 lbs so far and am please with the results. The one major area that is not budging is the lower abs. By lower abs, I really mean the fat right above the good 'ol c-section scar! I don't want to use that as an excuse, but everywhere else is toning up but there.

Any proven ideas?

Replies

• squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Surgery baby, that's it.
    When they cut you open, they go through muscle and all of it, and there is no way to get it back the way it was. So, short of opening you up again, all you can do is shrink the size of it so you don't have to tuck it in your pants! I've had 5 babies and 4 of them were sections, so I've had the same concerns as you!
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I notice many have viewed your topic, and no one has answered, but I don't want to ignore you - LOL. :ohwell:

I have a few friends who have the same concern, and I'm so sorry to say they're considering surgery because they have the same concern. Wish I had a better suggestion for you :frown:
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Well then I'm screwed!! I have the c-section scar 3 times over ..
  • AlabamaFan
    AlabamaFan Posts: 16
    Options
    I've had two c-sections and have that good ol' "apron" as well. After my second child was born and I was back on track with nutrition and exercise, I talked to a trainer about the problem. He told me that there is no way to get my lower abdomen back to its somewhat flat shape other than surgery. So here I am 19-1/2 years later and still have it.
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    My doc said that surgery is the only way! I have about 5lbs worth of skin that hangs over my c section scar and it bugs the crap out of me everyday! grrrrrrrrr
  • squoozyq
    Options
    Just think of the b eautiful children we have and that should make it better...or just show them throughout the years and explain how they ruined your body. Whatever works.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Well I've always wondered this as well and it seems everyone has the same answer! I was hoping if I lost 100 lbs the apron would go away but I guess not. I'm scared of surgery.
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    I have the same thing.
    I had a flap down there from gaining so much weight but I noticed after my c-section it looked even worse.
    I am just working on getting it as small as possible (I know it will never be flat and perfect) and then any time my son acts up in the future I will show him what I did to my body for him. Lol.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I vote for looking at our beautiful blessings and continuing to work hard and eat right - even if it won't go away, it will shrink. I started to shrink after the first and then got pregnant with #2 (I believe the shrinking helped!). As long as it shrinks I will be fine!

Keep working ladies!!!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as well. My ex-husband always used to say that I wasn't working out hard enough, so I made an appt with a plastic surgeon because I wanted to see how much a tummy tuck was (overall costs approx $6,200!!). I took my ex with me and asked the dr if there was anything I could do to get rid of the extra "apron" there too......he said no amount of exercise will get rid of it. So now, after having my second child 6 weeks ago, I have the same issue (worse now 'cause of the baby weight).....I am saving up for a tummy tuck. I figure we maybe want a third in about 4 years.....and by then hopefully I will have the money saved.

Sorry to deliver bad news, but it is what it is and if you don't want surgery then you have to make the best of it. Trust me, I have spent years researching alternatives. But I found shapewear very helpful for dresses, skirts and even jeans (no "muffin top").
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    well, i was hoping to see the magic answer here... but i only see what i was afraid of... i had 1 c-section then another one with twins... so i am doomed... oh well - i have 3 crazy kids after just 2 pregnancies so i guess that worked out for me! :o)
    And LoriLou67 - LOVE the profile picture! too cute!!
  • reneegez
    reneegez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    OMG, this sucks, I was hoping someone had a success story! Why couldnt the doctor just hook us up right there and then with a tummy tuck??? I mean come on!! :sad:
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a c-section, but have 2 kids, the last one just 31/2 months now, and I have a bulge too. Before I got pregnant the second time I lost a lot of weight and the bulge was still there. It's just that stretched skin that I can't seem to put back into place. So, the only surgery I'm getting next is my tubes tied!!! LOL!!!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections and gained 60 lbs with each pregnancy. Although I still have some pouch left, it doesn't hang or slide over to the side anymore! I figure 4-5 more pounds and it'll be as close to flat as I can get it. I know I'll never have a tight toned 6 pack, but just seeing the change that my hard work has done has helped keep me motivated. I hated laying on my side in bed because my stomach would pull on my sternum and hang on the mattress:grumble: Now I can lay on my side and feel no pain and my stomach stays where it should. Not perfect, but much better:happy: The beautiful kids we all have are totally worth some excess baggage:flowerforyou:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    this is depressing. yet another reason to stay consistent with my birth control. lol. :laugh:
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you everyone for the feedback. The results were what I feared but at least a lot of them made me laugh quite a bit! :laugh: I'm going to start doing the old soccer leg throws from back in the day and see if it will shrink a bit more. I am like many of you...it looks like roughly 5lbs worth of "jiggle". I know I will never be flat as in thin, but I would be happy with flat like a tree trunk.

You guys are the best! :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Surgery baby, that's it.
    When they cut you open, they go through muscle and all of it, and there is no way to get it back the way it was. So, short of opening you up again, all you can do is shrink the size of it so you don't have to tuck it in your pants! I've had 5 babies and 4 of them were sections, so I've had the same concerns as you!

I don't think surgery is the only answer. My sister has had multiple c-sections as she has had all very large babies and she has gotten a flat stomach again........

It takes time and eating natural foods and exercise to burn the fat off your body.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a few cousins who have had c-sections and are able to wander around beaches in bikini's so small they wouldn't fit on my pug.

hmm...I sound bitter. lol

My daughter is 7, had her naturally, and still have the grossness there. but I'm working on it. Here's hoping it goes away! :)
  • squoozyq
    Options
    Surgery baby, that's it.

I don't think surgery is the only answer. My sister has had multiple c-sections as she has had all very large babies and she has gotten a flat stomach again........

It takes time and eating natural foods and exercise to burn the fat off your body.

I see you haven't had any c sections.....
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,610 Member
    Options
    I've had two c-sections, and while my belly isn't perfect, it doesn't look too bad. I used to think I'd need to have surgery too, but getting very nearly to my ultimate goal weight combined with diligent, consistent ab and core work has done wonders. I'd urge anyone who is considering surgery to at least wait until they hit their goal weight first and really hit the workouts hard (I really like Debbie Siebers' Slim & 6-Pack).