How do you get rid of the C-section "flap"?

Options

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Surgery baby, that's it.
    When they cut you open, they go through muscle and all of it, and there is no way to get it back the way it was. So, short of opening you up again, all you can do is shrink the size of it so you don't have to tuck it in your pants! I've had 5 babies and 4 of them were sections, so I've had the same concerns as you!

I don't think surgery is the only answer. My sister has had multiple c-sections as she has had all very large babies and she has gotten a flat stomach again........

It takes time and eating natural foods and exercise to burn the fat off your body.

I see you haven't had any c sections.....

And that matters because? :flowerforyou: I had a natural birth with no type of meds or anything at all.

I was commenting on the fact that my sister has had mutilple c-sections and she has a flat stomach and is working on a 6 pack ab.........

I still think that people jump the gun too fast and have surgeries when it is needed or necessary. It is the "easy way out".
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I've had two c-sections, and while my belly isn't perfect, it doesn't look too bad. I used to think I'd need to have surgery too, but getting very nearly to my ultimate goal weight combined with diligent, consistent ab and core work has done wonders. I'd urge anyone who is considering surgery to at least wait until they hit their goal weight first and really hit the workouts hard (I really like Debbie Siebers' Slim & 6-Pack).

This!!!!

Hardwork and dilligence pay off in the end.
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    I had a c-section, and my baby weighed 9lbs.

See for yourself, no apron here... but a lot of hard work has gone into what you see. No surgery here.

I used a neoprene belt during workouts to help me re-learn to hold it in and to sweat more in that area. It made a difference.
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for your post. I will be looking into that belt! :bigsmile:
  • Biggest_Loser
    Options
    I intend to do surgery when I'm down to my goal. Between being overweight and having 2 large children (one by c-section). I know that I'll never get rid of the "baby apron" w/out chopping it off!!!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Some are able to lose the apron without surgery but I think I am in the group that will need surgery. I was 50lbs heavier when I was pregnant and my son was a very large baby. I am considering the surgery at some point in my life, but not until I have maintained my goal weight for at least a year. I would love it if exercise and diet alone could take care of it. I have one of those belts that focuses your attention on tightening the abs, I need to use it more.

I have so much loose skin on my lower abdomen, it is very frustrating, I can't wear many pants that button up as my waist is disproportioned to the rest of my body, it used to be the opposite, I had saddle bags and a tiny waist. Oh well I love my son and it is worth it to have him.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    don't have any kids but I had an exploratory surgery that left a scar just like a c section when I was 12....no fun having the c section flap at twelve lol Just gotta keep on keepin on I suppose. Just wanted to say I appreciate everyones input!!!
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options

See for yourself, no apron here... but a lot of hard work has gone into what you see. No surgery here.

I used a neoprene belt during workouts to help me re-learn to hold it in and to sweat more in that area. It made a difference.

Oh I love those belts. I'm glad to hear they help. My problem is that I still can't do much involving my lower abs. Even though I had my son Jan 24th (via c-section) of this year I still get tender down there easily. How long did it take some of y'all to be able to do crunches and push-ups?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting Insanity right now, fingers crossed. I also wear this corset thing while working out, hoping it might help.

I'm really hoping that I don't have to weigh 100 lbs to get rid of it!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    this type of thing isnt only a female phenomena!! i had a botched appendisectomy and resulted in 3 follow up ops on my abdomen and until i read this i never realised it was the reason for my 'mis-shapeness on my lower abdomen--i just grew up from thin to middleage accepting it as natural thing--just it has now become emphasised by the spread!---a doctor did mutter about internal scar tissue adding to my problems--it was done back in the mid 70s and they employed jagged scalples i reckon!!
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 kids but no c-section and I have that "apron". Soooo gross! I was really hoping there would be a magic answer besides surgery. Bummer! For not, I will just work on making it smaller at least. I know I can do that!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I think alot of it depends on how big your belly was when you got pregnant. I also have a second tummy from c-section and they cut me from hip to hip, I can't even feel it sometimes, it goes numb.

For me surgery will have to be the answer, because it doesn't matter how thing I get, going from 270 lbs to 145 is going to leave saggy skin on top of that c section belly.

Sometimes it is more than just losing weight. Skin elasticity as well as muscle disconnection has quite a bit to do with it.

Don't let it bother you too much. There are so many of us with them. Just think of it as our form of the beer belly. :laugh:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that reducing your BF% can get rid of it (rather than just losing weight).

So if your BMI is normal, start getting into heavy weight lifting!
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It goes away. I had a baby a year ago and at delivery ii was 218 and now I'm 135 and I have almost a flat tummy a few more pounds and ill be good. Loose skin is mostly fat so its really not that hard to get rid of.
  • bella40r
    bella40r Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a "flap" too, and I didn't have a C-section, I actually went to a dermatologist, and he told me not to get surgery, until I try to do sit-ups for a year and at least a 100 a day. He also said to exfoliate that area, because in reality our skin is elastic. Also, every time you shower message that area. You might have to do core exercises, not just sit-ups, get a personal trainer if possible but don't give up quite yet, your not alone, I am going through the same thing....and that was my first child. Anyway, GOOD LUCK!
  • mbk1970
    mbk1970 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I still feel it "sometimes" even after 4 years. Not terribly but noticable.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    A friend told me today for military wives - Tricare will cover a tummy tuck since the flap can cause infections.

"If you lose a lot of weight, and the flap gets worse I've read that you can get the Army to pay for a tummy tuck because infections can grow in there so your doctor will put a tummy tuck through tricare for "preventative treatment"."

I didn't know that! Def an option to look into once I'm done having kids but at the moment I'm going to see what Insanity does for me. So glad it wasn't all in my head about the belly flop & c-sections. I had my second this year. The first time was an emergency csection
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options

[/quote

YOU"VE JUST MADE MY DAY!! My daughter was 9lbs 14ozs -22inches long and my son was 8lbs 14ounces 21.5 inches long, both c-sections

Also my friend has had a c section and a extremely flat tummy

my inspiration really- cause i'm not to lucky, but we'll see what happens when I'm at 140, I have promised myself, when i make it to 140 i will give my self 6 more months to work on toning and strengthening and if then i still have a flap then I will look into getting it removed.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options

Oh I love those belts. I'm glad to hear they help. My problem is that I still can't do much involving my lower abs. Even though I had my son Jan 24th (via c-section) of this year I still get tender down there easily. How long did it take some of y'all to be able to do crunches and push-ups?

the navy gave me 6 months, and that was to be totally in shape- obviously i didn't make it, it was a pain in the butt.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    A friend told me today for military wives - Tricare will cover a tummy tuck since the flap can cause infections.

"If you lose a lot of weight, and the flap gets worse I've read that you can get the Army to pay for a tummy tuck because infections can grow in there so your doctor will put a tummy tuck through tricare for "preventative treatment"."

I didn't know that! Def an option to look into once I'm done having kids but at the moment I'm going to see what Insanity does for me. So glad it wasn't all in my head about the belly flop & c-sections. I had my second this year. The first time was an emergency csection

not in all cases will the military cover it, you have to have a sympathetic doctor to forward the request and a sympathetic surgeon to approve it. in most cases unless you have proof that is it causing rashes and infections they won't approve it. I know I've tried....i have noticed they are more lenient on spouses-- you would think they would want the active duty with less liability but not so much.