Anyone working toward going vegetarian?

Options
I know there are vegetarians and vegans here, but is there anyone in the process of going toward vegetarian? I want to go veg for both health and ethical reasons, but there's no way I can go cold turkey. I know I can't handle full vegan, but so vegetarian is the eventual goal.

So far more than half of my meals are vegetarian, and I'm really enjoying all the meat substitutes. I can't believe how many options there are. Also, even though I'm not going vegan, I've switched to almond milk for everything but coffee, where I must have my half and half. I'd love tips on this process from others on the same journey.w

Replies

• Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to go complete vegan, but this has some wonderful tips!

http://features.peta.org/how-to-go-vegan/

I'm not vegetarian, but I did use a vegetarian diet at one time to help me lose some weight. It really helps :)
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    i'm vegetarian except for meal times :laugh:
  • Nonnyette
    Nonnyette Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've worked on this. I've never gone fully vegetarian but my general goal was to eat much less animal protein and increase my vegetable and legume intake. Until I moved in with my SO, who is a confirmed meat-eater, I was eating meat only once or twice a week. What I found really helped was learning how to cook Indian food. Most of the Indian subcontinent is vegetarian, and they have developed a rich and varied vegetarian cuisine. I still cook vegetarian as frequently as I can trick my SO into it, and use Indian recipes all the time.

I really like Madhur Jaffrey's book, "World Vegetarian" - it is probably the most used cookbook in my kitchen.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    ...I am slowing going veggie...like you for both reasons....I will take any help I can get....glad you asked the question.

:blushing:
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for around 7 months when I was a lot younger. With how my meals are, I'm thinking of doing it again. I tend to avoid virtually all meat since I feel it has too many calories.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny you said "going cold turkey" ha.

anyhow i'm slowly approachign it, not for ethical reasons but for health, i pretty much eliminated all red meat and really only eat grilled chicken right now with occasional salmon. my reasoning is just bc i don't want fatty meat in my diet.
  • EmiVReyes
    EmiVReyes Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'd like to see more responses on this one. I have considered going full veggie as well or at least only eating fish. Sometimes meat just seems yucky to me.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have been a long time, but there are two meat-eaters in my household and I've been working on finding ways to cook things that will make all of us happy.
  • sonyap32
    sonyap32 Posts: 1
    Options
    i've been vegetarian for three years, and it was an easy transition for me. The hardest thing to give up was seafood, so i steered clear of sushi restaurants for a good three months in the beginning. After that, i had enough momentum built up that I didn't feel the desire to break the veggie streak. That was in 2010 and i've been going strong since. If you announce it to your friends and family that this is something you are trying to do, it makes you accountable for your actions and you never know, perhaps they will be supportive and help keep you motivated.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for almost a year now... with the last two months being mainly raw vegan.

I personally cut it all out at once. I made the switch for ethical reasons and cut out all meat when I made the switch. I couldn't leave in a certain type of meat or still consume fish since I was making the switch for ethical reasons. I personally wouldn't do it for health as there are a lot of unhealthy vegetarians out there. I found it a lot easier to just cut it all out at once.

I still cook meat as my husband still eats it and if we have people over for dinner I still make meat for them. I don't consume meat substitutes. I have at times but I prefer to stay away from them. I don't want to eat meat so I don't want to eat something that is made to replace a certain type of meat. Tons of ways to get protein in without the substitutes.
  • Zampa13
    Zampa13 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly vegetarian food...Never really been a meat lover. Chicken makes me gag when you get a chewy bit, plus im never quite convinced its cooked properly. Pork and lamb, I just dont eat. Beef Id probably eat the most of but only due to making a beef stew from a recipe my mum makes!

I was vegetarian for about 8 years from the age of 15 that was more down to ethical reasons but my Iron levels were quite low so reintroduced meat back in to my diet.

Now I eat more beans and pulse type foods...soups, lentils etc. I recently bought some Quron vegetarian style chicken breasts that were only like 90 cals so switching to just veggy has passed my mind a number of times however sometimes I get an overwhelming craving for a steak so feels wrong to deprive my body of the meat/Iron that im obviously craving.
  • sweetheart1982
    Options
    I also eat mostly vegetarian food and meat a couple times a week. I like tofu and use it to substitute for things. I made an awesome veggie pizza last week and added avacado and sprouts when it was done cooking...sounds weird but it was really good. I tried being completely vegitarian last year and gave up b/c I was craving meat big time. But for the most part I can go w/o eating meat for a long time I just like to eat it once in a while
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I know there are vegetarians and vegans here, but is there anyone in the process of going toward vegetarian? I want to go veg for both health and ethical reasons, but there's no way I can go cold turkey. I know I can't handle full vegan, but so vegetarian is the eventual goal.

So far more than half of my meals are vegetarian, and I'm really enjoying all the meat substitutes. I can't believe how many options there are. Also, even though I'm not going vegan, I've switched to almond milk for everything but coffee, where I must have my half and half. I'd love tips on this process from others on the same journey.w
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going weekday vegetarian? Only eating meat during the weekend??
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian working towards becoming vegan.
    I find the most helpful thing is to diversify meals, try new things & make the most delicious recipes I have.. this keeps me fully satisfied without even realizing I'm not eating animal products. :-) I will always recommend the book 'Vegan on the Cheap'. I cook out of it *all* the time and have never disliked anything I've made from it. It's all about the right type of spicing. :D
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    About 3 or 4 weeks ago I just decided that I could not face eating meat anymore the thought of eating it made me queasy. Not because of the animal aspect, too much and not because I was considering the health factors.

Maybe it was because I have eaten a really high protein meat diet since I started on MFP. The first week I thought maybe I would convert to eating fish after 2 or 3 days I found I couldn`t face fish either.

So now I am eating a vegetarian diet. I have been really enjoying making stir fry vegetables. Sliced white cabbage, red onion, peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, mange tout...basically I throw all sorts into the pan it takes about 4 minutes to cook and I can eat loads of it for very few calories. So am adding some boiled new potatoes or a jacket potato.

Today I made a pastry free quiche with a recipe from here.

On a side note I have lost 2lbs since I started this new plan and my `toilet habits` are so much more regular lol
  • kateelizabethdc
    kateelizabethdc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am working towards going vegan. I started by giving up red meat. Then exactly one year later I gave up all poultry. One year after that, dairy. And slowly, seafood is going. I think you have to give your mind time to adjust to each loss. No need to rush. You will get there! There are still things that I crave, but I'm doing okay.

You could try to find soy or almond creamer. It's easy to find at health food stores or Whole Foods type places. It tastes just like real creamer. We use BestLife Buttery spread for cooking and it tastes great.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that to start, just start by adding fruits and veggies to each meal adn eating it first, then slowly moving away.

I'm not working towards being vegetarian, but have been making vegetarian meals as practice for when I need to cook for my boyfriend's vegetarian mother.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many great stories and suggestions. Right now I don't do veg on certain days but mainly with meals eaten at home. I just replace the meat with a substitute (for example, tacos with veg crumbles in mole last night) or leave it out entirely (like in chili). I'll definitely have to try the veg creamer as the almond milk just doesn't cut it in coffee, although I prefer it for everything else. I've always loved both vegetables and animals, so it's a natural progression for me. I have a good friend who's vegan, and she's turned me onto some great products and recipes (she does a vegan chocolate cream pie that's out of this world!). I could never be as disciplined as her, so I'm aiming at veg with partial elimination of other animal products.