Help!!!! I can't lose weight!

Options
13»

Replies

• ladymiajohnson
    Options
    But somethings wrong because last week I gained like 5 lbs and then I lost only 3. So I am up 2 lbs then my last weigh in.

KEEP CALM (smile)! I wouldn't panic if I lost 11 lbs already. Your weight will flucuate due to reasons beyond your control (ie hormones, limited food choices, priorities, etc). Just try to stay within your calorie goals and keep exercising and you'll see the results
    Hahaha I do sound kind of high strung huh? LOL Ok I will try my best to remain calm.
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey there :) It's great that you are giving up McDonalds! I am trying to get rid of most processed foods in my diet and working out regularly ( and sticking to it ) And it seems to be working :) I wish you great luck in your diet and keep up the great work! Also, take advantage of the jimjibangs there! The saunas are a great way to detox your body of metals and toxins in your body :) Oh how I miss them!!!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I was trying to watch out for that. So I plan my food the day before. If it is not on my dairy, I don't eat it. So I got rid of juice and soda and things so I'm not tempted. And I always add the butter and stuff. ***But I don't add the oil that I cook in. Maybe that's it???*** I have been cooking since I started...no more McDonald's and Rice Poon for me. :-( When I do have McDonald's, it is something that I can count in my caloric intake. I was wondering if maybe myfitnesspal was giving me too many calories to eat. You think that could be it?

Calories from oil add up really fast.
  • Swim_fan93
    Swim_fan93 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would say eating Paleo helps. Nothings packaged, no grains or potatoes. Just fruit, veggies, and lean meats. I think it's healthier and I can tell a difference.
  • Swim_fan93
    Swim_fan93 Posts: 2
    Options
    Also if you want a no BS workout and whatnot check out Joel Runyon Impossible abs. My friend did it and slimmed down pretty quick. I bought it myself and I'm starting monday but I've been following the diet already and have lost about 9 pounds.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

6) Maintain your exercise program.

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight. Here's a link to that essay: http://bobday.net23.net/?p=27

Thanks!!! Ok I will do this too.

I don't agree with everything said here.

1. I eat three meals a day, plus snacks. As long as I am withing my calorie budget, it's all good.

2. I agree with cutting back on sugar, but you don't have to give it up completely. I did give up soda entirely, and I don't drink fruit juice, because I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. However, I do use a bit of sugar now and then.

3. I don't agree with this at all. This is something that a person would tire of doing very quickly, which I believe is a reason many people give up.

4. Most people agree that weighing yourself every day is not a good thing, because your weight goes up and down throughout time. I happen to weigh myself every day, but I don't panic and change things up if I go up a pound one day. I know that if I keep eating the way I am, it will go back down - and it does. I look at the net loss each week, not the daily weight. If I changed things up every time my weight fluctuated, I'd be a basket case.

I've been doing this for just over a year, and have lost weight steadily every week, without a plateau. *Knock wood* The key for me is to eat lots of protein, as well as fresh fruit and veggies. I think MFP's protein macros are set too low, as I eat around 90 grams or more each day. I also drink a lot of water, and don't drink anything with calories.

Someone upthread mentioned cooking at home. I completely agree with this. Cooking fresh food at home is great because you know what's going in it, and you don't have a bunch of additives and excess sodium.

Congrats on your progress so far, and don't let things get you down! Remember, you've lost weight, which is what's important. It will fluctuate now and then, but as long as you are trending downward, you will be fine. Don't worry about the blips here and there. :)
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I was wondering if maybe myfitnesspal was giving me too many calories to eat. You think that could be it?

I doubt that's a problem. I started out with a lot more calories in the beginning. MFP will adjust your macros as you lose weight.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight. Anyone can. You need to find what works for you.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that I don't buy into the 'plateau theory',

nearly all the time this comes down to weighing everything you eat and drink,

you've had a good weight loss, 6lb is 21,000 calorie deficit, divide that by the number of days you've been going & that'll give you your calorific deficit number,

then, go back to your food diary for the period you were losing weight & work out the average daily calorie intake,

add those two numbers, that'll give you your TDEE, subtract 20% from that number & put it in as your daily calorie intake goal,

then as I say, be fastidious about weighing everything & recording everything, and only weigh once a week, same place, same time, same conditions

good luck with your continuing journey :flowerforyou:

Thanks for this info..I am losing slowly and sporadically ..but i have lost 9 lbs in 55 days and i figured everything out by these calculations and my TDEE is 2272 and so i need to eat 1818 cals per day. This helps a lot..because i dont want to eat too little or too much
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Are you eating salty foods?

No I stay away from foods that are high in salt. If I cook with it, it is a dash of salt but that's it.

That one dash = 295 mg sodium, I do not use them

Read all of "200 pounds lost" by Bama56. In it he states the one worst thing in his diet. Sodium 3 minutes after opening your diary, you had the answer you need for a start. from 2 people. I try and consume 1 mg of salt for each calorie on average. When my sodium intake is too low, then I eat something like salty crackers or salsa and chips. It is working for me. 27 lbs lost in 9 weeks.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Another problem sounds like you hit a weight loss plateau. This means the muscles you use in your workouts have memory of the routine you are doing, making it harder to lose the weight. Keep you body guessing! I would suggest a change up in your workout routine! If you walk a lot, try integrating a jump rope during your walk. Better yet, try an elliptical!

This response would assume you are would assume you are working out but yes you can reach a plateau whether you are working out or not. 9 lbs in a little over a month sounds fabulous. Be patient. You didn't put it on that quickly; it won't come off that quickly either.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight. Here's a link to that essay: http://bobday.net23.net/?p=27

What is this? An ad for Bob's blog? :tongue: There are some decent ideas here, but #1 is just laughable...
  • S0nsh1ne
    Options
    Hi there :)

I was having the same problem. I thought I was eating healthy and working out but then I wouldn't loose any weight even when I was under calorie goal! It is so frustrating! Then I recently saw a British TV show on you tube called secret eaters, and that changed everything! First off there are tons more different types of eaters other then emotional eaters and I realized I was a grazer. I would have a bite of this and a bite of that without even realizing it. A lot of the time people do not even realize what they are putting in their mouths. You are probably not writing down that sip of juice, or the little nibbles now and then while cooking, or the oil or butter you used to cook your food even a pam spray thing. These things add up. Since I watched this show I now realize that I eat a lot more then 1200 calories.

I also am an expat. I lived in Korea for two and a half years. I know it's more expensive to cook at home but it can be done. ( I did it) I get loads of fruits and veggies (at the markets or food store) then lean meat and chicken at the butchers (they have loads of them) eat whatever is in season. Always a great staple is bok choy. If you eat out, no more kim bop or som gup sal. Galbi is very good for you in moderation and kim chi is actually healthy for you (also in moderation) I always used to walk past a roasted chicken truck on my way home from work and I would get a chicken and debone the meat and put it on top of a salad or sometimes in the winter I would get the chicken then they would roast sweet potatoes outside of my apartment - yummy. Just look around and you will find healthy things in Korea!

*To watch the show - type in "Secret eaters S01" in the search box of the you tube. I really hope this helps! Good luck!

I love how the world shrinks when you connect on the internet.
  • S0nsh1ne
    Options
    I too had real problems with the initial post. Reduce processed foods, don't use frozen foods as a substitute for a real meal and do eat more than 3x per day.

You are almost complete opposite of what I believe in. A good "diet" is something you can maintain for life. Yes, a little strict at first is fine, but most people can't stay this way for life. Take small steps and let your body adjust! That way when you get to a plateau, you still have plenty of tools in your belt to change things up!

1) I find if you eat 3 meals a day, but are "starving" in between, most people are more likely to binge. I'm like that. It was when I switched to 6-7 (200-400 calorie meals) I stopped constantly thinking of food.

2) Water is your best friend, but when you are used to other things, I find weaning your way off sugary drinks to be best. If you drink normal pop, switch to diet (for now), use propel packets to flavor your water (or something similar)

3) Stay away from prepackaged foods if you can. They usually leave you disappointed an hungry!!! Make your own meals if you can. Yes you may need to supplement with something like a "healthy" frozen dinner but you will be much more satisfied with other types of foods. One of my favorite meals is putting 4oz ground turkey (with taco seasoning), roasted onions/green peppers, over a salad of romaine and spinach with vinegar. It tastes just like a taco salad with less than 200 cals!

4) DITCH THE SCALE!! If you do want to use it, use it only to educate yourself of your fluctuations of water weight. The ONLY way to measure progress is HOW YOU FEEL!! If you look in the mirror and smile, your making progress. I like taking pictures on the first weekend of every month and comparing them. Even though your weight isn't changing, you'll see the difference! A tape measure will help as well!

5) Make sure your happy and can maintain this lifestyle.

6) The only one I agree with.. lol!!

I'd like to add.. EDUCATE YOURSELF!! Don't listen to any "one" person and experiment. Everyone is different. Look up Layne Norton (PhD/Bodybuilder/Coach/Personal Trainer) on YouTube. Great info!!

Hope that helps! :)
    -Jenae Smith

www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
    www.jenaesfitnessblog.com/tumblr

• emeraldj18
    emeraldj18 Posts: 22
    Options
    You are on the right track and doing great! don't get discouraged as you may see ups and downs in weight. I don't weigh myself on a regular basis.Maybe once a month but,I can tell it in inches as I can wear some of my old clothes I had not been able to wear. How is your sodium intake? you may want to keep an eye on that due to the water detention.Dont give up!!! Keep at it! You will be just fine:smile:
  • tptouchdown
    tptouchdown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I too had real problems with the initial post. Reduce processed foods, don't use frozen foods as a substitute for a real meal and do eat more than 3x per day.

You are almost complete opposite of what I believe in. A good "diet" is something you can maintain for life. Yes, a little strict at first is fine, but most people can't stay this way for life. Take small steps and let your body adjust! That way when you get to a plateau, you still have plenty of tools in your belt to change things up!

1) I find if you eat 3 meals a day, but are "starving" in between, most people are more likely to binge. I'm like that. It was when I switched to 6-7 (200-400 calorie meals) I stopped constantly thinking of food.

2) Water is your best friend, but when you are used to other things, I find weaning your way off sugary drinks to be best. If you drink normal pop, switch to diet (for now), use propel packets to flavor your water (or something similar)

3) Stay away from prepackaged foods if you can. They usually leave you disappointed an hungry!!! Make your own meals if you can. Yes you may need to supplement with something like a "healthy" frozen dinner but you will be much more satisfied with other types of foods. One of my favorite meals is putting 4oz ground turkey (with taco seasoning), roasted onions/green peppers, over a salad of romaine and spinach with vinegar. It tastes just like a taco salad with less than 200 cals!

4) DITCH THE SCALE!! If you do want to use it, use it only to educate yourself of your fluctuations of water weight. The ONLY way to measure progress is HOW YOU FEEL!! If you look in the mirror and smile, your making progress. I like taking pictures on the first weekend of every month and comparing them. Even though your weight isn't changing, you'll see the difference! A tape measure will help as well!

5) Make sure your happy and can maintain this lifestyle.

6) The only one I agree with.. lol!!

I'd like to add.. EDUCATE YOURSELF!! Don't listen to any "one" person and experiment. Everyone is different. Look up Layne Norton (PhD/Bodybuilder/Coach/Personal Trainer) on YouTube. Great info!!

Hope that helps! :)
    -Jenae Smith

www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
    www.jenaesfitnessblog.com/tumblr

I like to work out a lot, usually every day. I find that when I don't consume enough calories I stop losing weight. Everyone is different but for me, I like to eat about every 2 hours... sometimes just a piece of cheese or carrots. Eating regularly keeps me from over eating when I do eat a big meal (500 to 600 calories). Try not to under eat or over eat and be consistent. That way when you hit a plateau change things up a little bit.. Figure out what you need (More or less). Weight loss will come, but living a healthy life style has many more benefits than just the number of pounds you have lost. If you are exercising regularly and not losing weight watch your measurements to see if you are losing inches...You may be replacing fat with muscle.
  • ruthrowlett1
    ruthrowlett1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Great information - Thanks!!!!