How long do you wear your contacts?

Options
2»

Replies

• goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have the biweekly lenses and I take them out every night. Once I forgot and I woke up with cloudy vision even after removing them, so I'm definitely trying to avoid that again.
  • cindamyricks
    Options
    I used to change them everyday but I became tired of it so now I leave them in for 3-4 days in a row. Does anyone else leave them in for a while?
    Oh no please don't do that. It is bad for the eyes. Lenses should be kept apart from the eyes at least for some time to avoid trouble. Check this link out to know more on eye care :- http://www.evergreeneye.com/implantable-contact-lens.php
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That's really bad for your eyes to sleep in them...your eyes need a break from them at least for an hour before bed...Contacts allow a little air to get through, but your eyes need a break and sleeping in them isn't good for them because your eyes are closed all night, allowing even less air through to your eyes.

Please don't do that to your eyes.

I will wear my monthlies for longer than that....I'll wear them everyday for three months or until they start bugging me...but I take them out every night...some days I don't even wear them at all. I'll whip out the glasses sometimes if I'm feeling lazy.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I am just going to answer this question from the perspective of a person with Keratoconus.

I have had keratoconus for about 10 years and I'm in remission.
    With RGP's you have to look directly at the lens when you insert it. (After years of doing this I have less reflex when something dangerous is about to poke my eye). I have a tiny plunger to help if it goes into the wrong place or if I ever have trouble with removal. You must take them out every day and clean them well.
    This is your vision and it is very very important. if we have complications we don't heal like normal people, and I cannot rely on glasses to correct my vision.

You must go and check the fit and see if there has been any regression at least once or twice a year. It can be hard to find an optometrist who specializes in this. Where I live, I know of one in Vancouver, one in Pitt meadows and one in Edmonton. Lucky for me I live near Vancouver.
    There is some very recent research on a procedure call cross linking. This procedure helps to strengthen the cornea, a laser is used in the procedure but it is very different from laser surgery. Many people go for laser surgery who have not been properly diagnosed. It is very sad when this happens because our (keratoconus patients) corneas do not heal.

I know of a few surgeons who have popped up over the last five years or so. One of whom practices in California. There may be more help out there now, I haven't done much research for the last few years.