5:2 Diet

Options
How does this work? I've heard quite a few success stories, then there are people that say it's not good. So what's the real scoop?

Replies

• m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think the general idea is that you eat normally 5 days a week, then fast for 2(500cals i think).

If you're a person that eats a fairly sensible diet this will put you into calorie deficit and you'll drop weight.

If you need something more rigid and need to count cals then i personally thing it's better to be in a small deficit daily rather then a large one on a couple of days. It's personal preference though.
  • khrest
    khrest Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I've been lurking on here since Jan 6th. In that time doing this plan I have lost 36lbs and gone from 220 to 184, which is now almost on my target. My wife has shadowed my plan and she has lost 28lbs and reached her target several weeks ago.

I do two days per week at 550-600 cals max and the other 5 at an average of 1300. I generally lose 1.5-2lbs per week. I would add that I have a very sedentary job that involves sitting down all day and apart from a bit of exercise power walking at the weekends, I burn very few calories.

I found if I go above 1300 per day by much then I put weight on instantly. It works for me because I schedule the two fast days on work days when I am mentally busy and dont think about food, I then do the other 5 trying to average out the calories. This way we still have the odd takeaway and eat chocolate, cake etc, but within the weekly limit.

It works for me and although some will say that 1300 per day is too low for a 47 year old male, I feel fitter and healthier than I have in decades. YMMV but it's the only diet that's worked for me and my wife long term.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It is not designed as a diet but to regulate insulin levels. Howver weight loss is an added benefit.

5 days at normal 2000 calories (not deficit)
    2 days at 500 calories for women or 600 for men.

Fast days are up to the person but not fasting two days in a row.

The idea is that the body will burn 2000 calories even on a 500/600 calories day and find the extra 1500 calories from fat reserves.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options

The idea is that the body will burn 2000 calories even on a 500/600 calories day and find the extra 1500 calories from fat reserves.

Any muscle.