Time off to exercise - your comments

Options
13»

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    3-4 hours a day is excessive. Plus aren't you concerned when you go back to work you will just gain all the weight back because you wont have time to exercise anymore?
    Of course, you WILL have time but if you have the mentality you have to take 3 months off work to work on your body, it's the wrong attitude and chances are you will gain it back.
    You need to figure out a way to incorporate exercise into your daily/weekly routine... when you are doing your normal routine.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You absolutely don't need to do that. Take time off of work for fun stuff. You can easily eat at a deficit and work out 3-5 hours a WEEK while working full time. If you plan to work out four hours, a day, you'll probably get burned out and stop it. There's no need to torture yourself by forcing ridiculous amounts of exercise to lose weight. You'll probably get hurt.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.
    No, the picture is not me. I thought it would encourage me a bit more seeing it everyday......
    It is very hard for me to lose weight. I lose 1 or 2 lbs a week and if I "cheat" one day I seem to gain 2-3 back. If I was at my goal weight tomorrow morning I would do everything possible not to gain back. That's why I want to give it a go for 3 months and lose as much as I can (I don't want to lose 50, I would be happy with 30). I am eating right 4-5 times a week but not exercising much.
    And I have the opportunity to take time off work.

Many people here have lost 30 pounds over three months without working out 4 hours a day.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If you just jump into that kind of workout you're going to be so sore you won't be able to roll out of bed. Work up to it.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You and I are similar in age... from one 40 yr old human to another: 90% of our success is in diet. Any fool can exercise. It's those calories consumed (usually late in the day) that make the difference.

I've been working our weights and cardio steady for over 4 years and my weight bounces between 199 and 223 - completely dependent on my eating habits. Currently I'm eating healthy and melting down to 199 again. It all starts and ends in the supermarket !

It's both. Gotta be both.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.
    No, the picture is not me. I thought it would encourage me a bit more seeing it everyday......
    It is very hard for me to lose weight. I lose 1 or 2 lbs a week and if I "cheat" one day I seem to gain 2-3 back. If I was at my goal weight tomorrow morning I would do everything possible not to gain back. That's why I want to give it a go for 3 months and lose as much as I can (I don't want to lose 50, I would be happy with 30). I am eating right 4-5 times a week but not exercising much.
    And I have the opportunity to take time off work.

So, the solution is: balanced diet, everyday, with a few "treats" so that you don't feel the need to "indulge" and blow all you work in 1-2 day. Just fit them into your daily allowance and macros. It works. One divine piece of chocolate. Treat yourself to your favorite low fat snacks, veggies, and perfect fruits. Treat yourself well. Make your hard work count.

Exercise regularly.

Two easy adjustments and you've got it made.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on your diet before anything else - in my experience, about 80% of it is what and how much I eat. There are actually studies that demonstrate that exercise is not correlative to weight loss, and that's it's almost inpossible to outtrain a poor diet. You can't outrun your fork as a sustainable way to keep weight off.

Fix your diet, first. And be mindful that a "cheat day" is not for everyone - it can be hard to keep yourself on track, and easy to eat back all of your hard work.
  • cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    And we gotta get Randy to lay off those cheeseburgers... just look at him ! A greasy horror show !

"Trailer Park Boys" for those who don't know. Side splitting comedy.