Things You Had to Deal W/ As The Only Black Kid

Options
srcardinal10
srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
Ok, this was HILARIOUS and I HAD to post and share this.

27 Things You Had To Deal With as the Only Black Kid in Your Class....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/27-things-you-had-to-deal-with-as-the-only-black-kid-in-your

Is there anything missing? Are there anythings that people of other backgrounds experience that are so mind-blowingly ignorant it's funny?

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Are there anythings that people of other backgrounds experience that are so mind-blowingly ignorant it's funny?

No. I'm white.
  • srcardinal10
    Options
    Are there anythings that people of other backgrounds experience that are so mind-blowingly ignorant it's funny?

No. I'm white.

Lol, I'm sure there's something. People are ignorant and for some reason LOVE to say things out loud to affirm that.

"Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and suspicion be confirmed."
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My mom sent me to the African American Academy here in WA for summer school.
    That's actually the name. I'm not being a jerk.

I got called snow flake/snow white/cream puff, kicked down the stairs, beat up, and people would say things like "Thanks for enslaving my ancestors!" as I walked through the halls.

I've never told anyone this because I was too embarrassed ._.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    "Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and suspicion be confirmed."

"Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and ...remove all doubt" I fixed it for you.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i went to high school in egypt. believe it or not, some kids at my PRESTIGIOUS university would ask if i a) rode a camel to school, b) spoke egyptian (?), c) spoke heiroglyphics, d) lived in a pyramid. i wish they were joking.

also, i was the only, if not one of the only, jewish kid(s) in my middle school and high school. got a look of questions, mostly based out of curiosity, but some were a little ignorant.
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    Hahaaa.
    When friends tell you that they refer to you as their 'black friend'
    "Can I touch your hair?"
    "Do you tan?"
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Stereotyping is fun!

I am of Irish* descent.

Only one of the following is true for me:

1. small pen!s
    2. like to drink
    3. bad temper

*I consider myself American.

If this thread is still around later, I'll do some reading, but for now, I am off to drink.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :-)
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I can't believe we're still dealing with these stupid sterotypes and racism. We're all PEOPLE can we quit bringing outside apperances into it.

I am white, like glow in the dark white. Living in California and Hawaii all my life I have been the minority. I've been called many many names, been shoved into lockers, and bullied. My "favorite" was when I was going to a high school that was 95% Jewish. Our 11th grade history teacher pointed me out in the middle of a holocaust discussion as a "Nazi poster child". You see I was the only blue eyed blonde in the room (almost the whole school).
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i went to high school in egypt. believe it or not, some kids at my PRESTIGIOUS university would ask if i a) rode a camel to school, b) spoke egyptian (?), c) spoke heiroglyphics, d) lived in a pyramid. i wish they were joking.

you did, though, right?
    right?
    you rode a camel and lived in a pyramid?
    please?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Stereotyping is fun!

I am of Irish* descent.

1. small pen!s
    2. like to drink
    3. bad temper

If this thread is still around later, I'll do some reading, but for now, I am off to drink.

I wish I were Irish so that I had a good excuse for my drinking. And my small penis.
  • srcardinal10
    Options
    Stereotyping is fun!

I am of Irish* descent.

1. small pen!s
    2. like to drink
    3. bad temper

My ex is Irish...and only one of those things was true about him...lol.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm extremely white. Like so white even the white kids made fun of me. Other kids always thought it was funny to ask if I'd ever seen the sun, or did I know what tanning was, or when it snows--do I get lost? "Your parents must save a lot on electricity since your skin glows in the dark." Stupid stuff like that. They always thought they were so original and funny. I still get comments from some of my neighbors when I wear shorts. Now I just look at them and say, "Wow. That comment smacks of the 'intolerance' you accuse everyone else of".

Ignorance takes many forms. All of them lack intelligent humor.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    3GWiLx0.gif

ErVdPzq.gif
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Stereotyping is fun!

I am of Irish* descent.

1. small pen!s
    2. like to drink
    3. bad temper

My ex is Irish...and only one of those things was true about him...lol.

My ex is not Irish and all 3 are true of him. :laugh:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

I got called snow flake/snow white/cream puff, kicked down the stairs, beat up, and people would say things like "Thanks for enslaving my ancestors!" as I walked through the halls.

Sounds like there were a bunch of racist *kitten*. The embarrassment and shame is on the people who treated you that way.
  • srcardinal10
    Options

"Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and ...remove all doubt" I fixed it for you. Black people suck at quotes. <---that might not be a stereotype

Well, thank you. :)
  • srcardinal10
    Options
    Well, I'm extremely white. Like so white even the white kids made fun of me. Other kids always thought it was funny to ask if I'd ever seen the sun, or did I know what tanning was, or when it snows--do I get lost? "Your parents must save a lot on electricity since your skin glows in the dark." Stupid stuff like that. They always thought they were so original and funny. I still get comments from some of my neighbors when I wear shorts. Now I just look at them and say, "Wow. That comment smacks of the 'intolerance' you accuse everyone else of".

Ignorance takes many forms. All of them lack intelligent humor.

I like the comeback!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Wow. That is just effing horrible. :angry: