"Negative Calorie Food"

Options
Jokenmit
Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
Hey guys...quick question. Have any of you heard of "negative calorie" foods??? I overheard a couple people talking about it at work, but didn't get the chance to ask more. Any ideas?

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Have no clue what it is, but 9/10 chance it's probably some bullsh*t.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It is a false idea. Calories are stored in your body, regardless of how much digestion happens.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    There aint no "negative calorie food" my friend. No matter what they say about celery, lettuce or whatever taking more calories to burn that it contains, its all, as the comment below your post says bul***t. If you eat too much of anything - and your ingestion exceeds your expenditure, then the weight will go on - guaranteed.
    Better to plan a sensible eating regime as all honest members of MFP will advise you. Then, the weight will come off.
    good luck on your journey.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have. They say that the calories you burn while eating (chewing, digesting, whatever) those foods, is greater than the amount of calories contained in the food. I remember celery specifically being cited as a negative calorie food.

Not sure if it's true, but I do doubt you could ever eat enough celery to gain weight. LOL
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Ice cold water.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    It is just a dietary bullcrap scheme.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    There's hardly anything wrong with eating lots of raw veggies like carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, etc. But eating them expecting to get negative calories is probably not reasonable.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    No.
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How about 0 calorie foods? The only one I can think of offhand is shirataki noodles - but theoretically, wouldn't you be burning calories in the consumption of a calorie-free food, therefore netting negative overall?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as negative calorie food. Full stop.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It's a myth
  • Jokenmit
    Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I looked it up..and yeah, it's a joke. the list is raw fruit and veggies....stuff that should be eaten anyway. Trust me, the magically list isn't swaying my ideas any. I am just going to keep doing what i'm doing. It works for me.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It's a list of foods that are considered to burn more calories in consumption than are found in the food.

I bought into this a few years ago and found it to be a successful list of foods to eat to help with my weight loss but I wouldn't be shocked if that was because I was in such a big deficit from eating low calorie foods that didn't measure up to the calories I actually needed to eat.
  • DarianFit
    DarianFit Posts: 1
    Options
    There are a few foods that are so low in calories that they are really not counted as calories. For example, a stalk of celery is about 10 calories, but it takes 2 - 3 calories just to chew and swallow it, so the true calorie count is so low that it's negligible. The true benefits to these foods are the fiber.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    No, thinking like that really isn't going to help you.

Calories are good, I'll repeat that, calories are good ... food is good, food is fuel and is not the enemy, leverage it, don't fear it.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options

Thank you, TheWiseCat. How refreshing when someone cites a reputable website's info, rather than just posting their version of "Bro-Science".
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Thank you, TheWiseCat. How refreshing when someone cites a reputable website's info, rather than just posting their version of "Bro-Science".

Way too much "Bro-Science" on here...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There are a few foods that are so low in calories that they are really not counted as calories. For example, a stalk of celery is about 10 calories, but it takes 2 - 3 calories just to chew and swallow it, so the true calorie count is so low that it's negligible. The true benefits to these foods are the fiber.

Right except that digestion/chewing is already included in your TDEE. You still need to log the calories.
  • bobmiller451
    Options
    "Negative" calorie foods: It takes more energy (calories) to burn the food than the calories you get from it. It takes energy to digest and convert proteins carbohydrates and fats into glucose, Celery is an example.of a negative calorie food.

Cheers,
    Bob