Exercise...no...not for you fatty.

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Because not just overweight/obese people exercise?

This.

Also furthermore, obese people don't tend to exercise which means they don't buy exercise products which means that manufacturers really have no incentive to spend more money making them safe for fat people.

You want to change things?

Get more fat people to buy exercise equipment.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with outside? why do you need a machine?

I personally hate doing cardio on a machine unless I absolutely have to.. I'd much rather be outside!

Which would be awesome if it didn't get up to 110 degrees out where I live. I'll take a cardio machine over heat stroke any way.

No kidding. I will exercise outside from late October through early April. Other than that, being outside is pretty much limited to the mad dash from my car to the building.

Exact opposite problem here. I love my outdoor exercise including hiking from May to October, but the rest of the year it's too cold, and usually dangerously icy underfoot. I love living in Canada :ohwell: Thinking I'll get some snowshoes next winter for those milder days.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Wow.

Double WOW! some people!!!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I personally hate doing cardio on a machine unless I absolutely have to.. I'd much rather be outside!

Which would be awesome if it didn't get up to 110 degrees out where I live. I'll take a cardio machine over heat stroke any way.

Get up earlier or go out later. Always excuses. Walking costs nothing and you can lift weights at any weight. That's all I need to know. Obviously there are going to be weight limits on machinery.
  • cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    From an engineering standpoint; it's just being safe. Some 300lb people belong on bikes, equipment, ladders..... some do not. You have to draw the line somewhere. And if you made a bike for larger people, how many could you really sell?

As an example: I'm very healthy 6'1" male, lift weights, run miles... but I'm "too heavy" to get on any of my step ladders while holding a power tool (they say weight limit 225). Me, work boots, a heavy coat with tool belt... yep 225. Of course I do it all the time.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Get up earlier or go out later. Always excuses. Walking costs nothing and you can lift weights at any weight. That's all I need to know. Obviously there are going to be weight limits on machinery.

This time of year, around here, if I want to take a walk outside it has to be before 8am or after 8pm if I want to do it under 95 degrees. Which is fine. In a month, I would have to go out at 4am or after 11pm if I want to be out when it's under 100. That's not happening. Some people do it, I see people running when it's 120. But that's not for me. I stick with indoor activities for free and for safety.
  • twinketta
    Options

This.

Also furthermore, obese people don't tend to exercise which means they don't buy exercise products which means that manufacturers really have no incentive to spend more money making them safe for fat people.

If only thin/skinny/lean people are the target market for exercise equipment, then how do you foresee helping `fat people` get into the whole aspect of using exercise equipment?

Really, these sort of comments are not helpful to try to motivate people that want to lose weight and get into using exercise machines/equipment.

There are threads on this website where people are scared to go to the gym because of the people that may be in there commenting on there size?
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    jajaja when i was 300+ i broke an elliptical machine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Exactly. Unless you live in Alaska or have a medical condition, these are just excuses.

I grew up in New York state. I exercised outside during the coldest and snowiest and iciest winter months when I lived there and now I'm in Florida and I exercise outside during the hottest, most humid months. I go when I get out of work at 3:30 p.m. Also, in heat, there's always the option of swimming and for everyone, exercise videos.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i broke my first elliptical machine because i didnt pay attention when i bought it and after i broke it i found out it had a weight limit of 200 lbs now i got a new one for xmas and we made sure its for "heavy duty" i love it and i want to run outside but it rains so much here (bergen, norway) passed 2 weeks it been raining non stop and not the light rain heavy pouring rain with storms and hail
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

This.

If only thin/skinny/lean people are the target market for exercise equipment, then how do you foresee helping `fat people` get into the whole aspect of using exercise equipment?

Really, these sort of comments are not helpful to try to motivate people that want to lose weight and get into using exercise machines/equipment.

There are threads on this website where people are scared to go to the gym because of the people that may be in there commenting on there size?

Are you familiar with engineering? If not, are you familiar with logic? You cannot safely expect to put someone who weights 300plus pounds on a machine made out of metal and plastic with small bolts and cogs etc and expect there not to be an accident.
    It's nobody's fault, it's common sense. Lose the weight with a calorie deficit or by walking/weight lifting etc and then safely use the equipment.
    No more excuses please.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options

There's nothing wrong with exercising outside but some people are embarrassed to do so because of their size
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Wow.

Triple Wow. I literally went slack jawed at this. Why would having a higher weight limit on a piece of equipment be of any relevance to somebody who was well under the weight limit?

Maybe if more equipment did have a higher weight limit more people wouldn't fear it so much.
  • twinketta
    Options

There are undertakers/hospitals/wheelchairs that have broken equipment too?

If someone wants to go to a gym to try to improve their health/size then they should be applauded....and assessed by an instructor.

If they are not of a suitable weight to use the equipment then the instructor/induction person should take that into account and offer support and advice.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

This.

I by no means stated that thin/lean people were the target market. I was simply stating that manufacturers aren't inclined to build a machine for someone who weighs 500lbs because they simple won't sell.

I'm not sure how my comment would possibly be construed as making fun of fat people at the gym . . . .

If my simple comment implying that their needs to be a demand in order for there to be a supply somehow detours someone from their weight loss then perhaps they were looking for an excuse to be detoured.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Because some fatties are self conscious due to people yelling rude comments out of windows... or perhaps a car full of college boys throwing a soda at you... ya know stuff like that.

Anyway, yeah, I've exceeded the weight limit on machines, step ladders, canoes, bicycles, etc and never had a problem.. I'm just careful not to exceed it by *too much* and not go nuts on the things. When I bought my bicycle, I weighed 340 pounds. The "limit" on my bike was 260 pounds. I went to the bike shop and talked to an awesome sales rep. He told me that as long as I didn't go crazy off of curbs, or try to take it off road, and paid careful attention to my tire inflation, I'll be fine on it.... and he was right!...... Now for something like say... bungee jumping, I'd pay close attention to weight limits, but everything else, I inspect to make sure it's in good working order and seems sturdy enough and do what I gotta do!
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

Because some fatties are self conscious due to people yelling rude comments out of windows... or perhaps a car full of college boys throwing a soda at you... ya know stuff like that.

Put on your earphones and ignore them. If that is going to stop you getting fit then you need to grow a thicker skin. Life can be cruel sometimes to everyone, you think people don't make comments to skinny people too? They do. Get over it and get on with it. No excuses.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

There are undertakers/hospitals/wheelchairs that have broken equipment too?

If someone wants to go to a gym to try to improve their health/size then they should be applauded....and assessed by an instructor.

If they are not of a suitable weight to use the equipment then the instructor/induction person should take that into account and offer support and advice.

You have a very odd means of arguing your point.

You must surely realise the health and safety implications of very heavy people using machinery not designed for them?

You must also consider that manufacturers are not going to build exercise equipment for very overweight people at a low cost because the parts are much more expensive due to having to be reinforced.

This is all common sense.

There is no personal agenda.

Lose the weight, THEN use the equipment.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

This.

Are you... are you....

are you freakin kidding me?

The guy (and the lady he quoted) told you the truth in the nicest possible way. Its simple economics and general knowledge. Fit people tend to work the treadmill more. Hence why the weight limits because makign them stronger for overweight people like me would require more material which would require more cost which means the prices goes up which means the sales go down.

There are definitely treadmills out there for fatties like me. It just costs extra dollars.

How did the comments NOT sound helpful? Did you get scared by the boogie monster named economics?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Wow.

Triple Wow. I literally went slack jawed at this. Why would having a higher weight limit on a piece of equipment be of any relevance to somebody who was well under the weight limit?

Maybe if more equipment did have a higher weight limit more people wouldn't fear it so much.

Heres a thought... spend some more coins and buy a stronger one? Just because we are fat doesn't mean the people who aren't have to pay the extra cost of additional material put in a regular treadmill to make it stronger.

Or better yet, go outside. I know, I know, its cold/hot but you wanna be cheap so just go outside. Or lift weights. Or do insanity or something. Don't make the manufacturers increase cost for everybody just because you feel left out...