Exercise...no...not for you fatty.

Options

Replies

• missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Because not just overweight/obese people exercise?

Wow.

Double WOW! some people!!!

Triple Wow. I literally went slack jawed at this. Why would having a higher weight limit on a piece of equipment be of any relevance to somebody who was well under the weight limit?

Maybe if more equipment did have a higher weight limit more people wouldn't fear it so much.

Heres a thought... spend some more coins and buy a stronger one? Just because we are fat doesn't mean the people who aren't have to pay the extra cost of additional material put in a regular treadmill to make it stronger.

Or better yet, go outside. I know, I know, its cold/hot but you wanna be cheap so just go outside. Or lift weights. Or do insanity or something. Don't make the manufacturers increase cost for everybody just because you feel left out...

Woah, hold up - I'm not exceeding the weight limit, and I'm not afraid of using equipment, I was sort of speaking for others. I don't feel left out...

Spend some coins - well, that option isn't available to everybody. Some people don't have the coins to spend on heavier equipment, in the same way some smaller people do not. I use equipment at the gym, so it's irrelevant to me, but I hear what you and others have said about engineering logics and prices for companies.

I lost nearly 30lbs from just walking alone, so I know it's good and works. I am self conscious in the gym because I'm a fairly big girl and surrounded by a lot of slim, athletic people - but do you know what I think? Well, I'm at the gym. I'm not there ****ing around - I'm getting on with it. If you want to judge me for trying to change my life then go right ahead because I couldn't give a toss. (Sorry, that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular). I felt the same way about walking around the village - if people wanted to have a giggle at me being fat and pounding the pavements, more fool them. I know not everyone has that level of confidence though.

You're completely missing the point AND derailing from your original statement. If you can't afford it, walk outside. Don't come here and say people are mean for saying the right thing. You're welcome for the free education.

I didn't miss the point - I saw the point about logistics and extra cost. I'm not talking for myself, I'm talking for people who do not have the confidence to go outside and feel judged by people - which does happen. My initial reaction was that I didn't understand why equipment with a higher weight threshold would affect normal weight people - but I was thinking purely from a gym POV, which was my mistake - generally speaking in the UK, fitness equipment is usually used at a gym rather than purchased.

I also never said it was mean - I just thought it was a bit of a snide comment - I agree there should be no excuses and I think if you want something badly enough, you'll stick two fingers up and do it anyway, but I know my mentality differs from other people. Again, I have no personal experience of anybody buying gym equipment in everyday life since the 1980's (big craze) unless you're stupidly rich, so my knowledge is based on my gym experiences.

Also, considering rising obesity levels in most countries, I thought it may have been a shrewd move to make GYM equipment a little more accommodating - I would imagine it is very discouraging to see equipment with weight limits of around 250lbs.

As for the walking, I said - I lost 25lbs from walking alone, and think it's brilliant.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why do these size 32 jeans only fit people with 32 inch waists?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I lived in Buffalo for 5 1/2 years. The snow was to my waist pretty much every day from November to March. It was also below 0 actual temp (before you factored int he wind chill). There were no sidewalks where I lived. I exercised outside regularly.

I do not exercise outside in hail or thunderstorms. Those are about the only things that keep me inside.

Then consider yourself braver than I. There are also no sidewalks where I live and it sometimes get about that cold here.

I choose not to risk slipping and hurting my ankle on ice/half melted patches of snow in order to get a workout in, nor making myself miserable trying to breathe through temperature's that are so cold my car won't start.

Some people enjoy pushing themselves in those ways. Exercise does not always have to be about punishing yourself, though, and working out in those conditions can pose special health problems for the already obese.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I lived in Buffalo for 5 1/2 years. The snow was to my waist pretty much every day from November to March. It was also below 0 actual temp (before you factored int he wind chill). There were no sidewalks where I lived. I exercised outside regularly.

I do not exercise outside in hail or thunderstorms. Those are about the only things that keep me inside.

Then consider yourself braver than I. There are also no sidewalks where I live and it sometimes get about that cold here.

I choose not to risk slipping and hurting my ankle on ice/half melted patches of snow in order to get a workout in, nor making myself miserable trying to breathe through temperature's that are so cold my car won't start.
    I never slipped. I watched the road. I trail run and I'm more worried about tree roots and debris, but again, I watch the ground to avoid those things.

As for the cold, once you get going, it's fine. You actually need to peel off layers just to be comfortable. And your throat feels fine after about five minutes breathing the cold air.

It isn't about being brave. It's about how much you want something and what you have to work with. I actually had a gym membership then and still chose outside over the gym because I quite frankly hate the gym. If you can't find equipment that holds your weight and you really and truly want to exercise, you will suck it up and deal with the weather. It's a choice people have to make, but I have no patience for people whining about "too hot" and "too cold." It may not be comfortable, but it isn't going to kill you.
  • cerexflikex
    cerexflikex Posts: 58
    Options
    *munches on popcorn*
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Wow.

Double WOW! some people!!!

Triple Wow. I literally went slack jawed at this. Why would having a higher weight limit on a piece of equipment be of any relevance to somebody who was well under the weight limit?

Maybe if more equipment did have a higher weight limit more people wouldn't fear it so much.

Heres a thought... spend some more coins and buy a stronger one? Just because we are fat doesn't mean the people who aren't have to pay the extra cost of additional material put in a regular treadmill to make it stronger.

Or better yet, go outside. I know, I know, its cold/hot but you wanna be cheap so just go outside. Or lift weights. Or do insanity or something. Don't make the manufacturers increase cost for everybody just because you feel left out...

Woah, hold up - I'm not exceeding the weight limit, and I'm not afraid of using equipment, I was sort of speaking for others. I don't feel left out...

Spend some coins - well, that option isn't available to everybody. Some people don't have the coins to spend on heavier equipment, in the same way some smaller people do not. I use equipment at the gym, so it's irrelevant to me, but I hear what you and others have said about engineering logics and prices for companies.

I lost nearly 30lbs from just walking alone, so I know it's good and works. I am self conscious in the gym because I'm a fairly big girl and surrounded by a lot of slim, athletic people - but do you know what I think? Well, I'm at the gym. I'm not there ****ing around - I'm getting on with it. If you want to judge me for trying to change my life then go right ahead because I couldn't give a toss. (Sorry, that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular). I felt the same way about walking around the village - if people wanted to have a giggle at me being fat and pounding the pavements, more fool them. I know not everyone has that level of confidence though.

You're completely missing the point AND derailing from your original statement. If you can't afford it, walk outside. Don't come here and say people are mean for saying the right thing. You're welcome for the free education.

I didn't miss the point - I saw the point about logistics and extra cost. I'm not talking for myself, I'm talking for people who do not have the confidence to go outside and feel judged by people - which does happen. My initial reaction was that I didn't understand why equipment with a higher weight threshold would affect normal weight people - but I was thinking purely from a gym POV, which was my mistake - generally speaking in the UK, fitness equipment is usually used at a gym rather than purchased.

I also never said it was mean - I just thought it was a bit of a snide comment - I agree there should be no excuses and I think if you want something badly enough, you'll stick two fingers up and do it anyway, but I know my mentality differs from other people. Again, I have no personal experience of anybody buying gym equipment in everyday life since the 1980's (big craze) unless you're stupidly rich, so my knowledge is based on my gym experiences.

Also, considering rising obesity levels in most countries, I thought it may have been a shrewd move to make GYM equipment a little more accommodating - I would imagine it is very discouraging to see equipment with weight limits of around 250lbs.

As for the walking, I said - I lost 25lbs from walking alone, and think it's brilliant.

I'm in Ireland, I own gym equipment as do lots of people I know, I am not rich or stupidly rich.
    It wasn't a snide comment, it was not personal at all, it was simple logic.
    Also, it rains here almost every day, it is frequently freezing cold, it is never really warm bar a week or two in the summer, I work out outside. In fact, I'm fairly sure battling freezing cold Atlantic winds and rain that comes at you horizontally probably burns more calories.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options

This.

Also furthermore, obese people don't tend to exercise which means they don't buy exercise products which means that manufacturers really have no incentive to spend more money making them safe for fat people.

You want to change things?

Get more fat people to buy exercise equipment.

If only thin/skinny/lean people are the target market for exercise equipment, then how do you foresee helping `fat people` get into the whole aspect of using exercise equipment?

Really, these sort of comments are not helpful to try to motivate people that want to lose weight and get into using exercise machines/equipment.

There are threads on this website where people are scared to go to the gym because of the people that may be in there commenting on there size?

Are you familiar with engineering? If not, are you familiar with logic? You cannot safely expect to put someone who weights 300plus pounds on a machine made out of metal and plastic with small bolts and cogs etc and expect there not to be an accident.
    It's nobody's fault, it's common sense. Lose the weight with a calorie deficit or by walking/weight lifting etc and then safely use the equipment.
    No more excuses please.

This. It'd be like making -4 sized clothing - what would be the point?! Surely a very few people may buy them, but would they make profit? Doubtful.

Walking outside when it's hot isn't too bad, and it'll sure make you speed up when it's chilly! You don't have to run or do anything too excessive to lose weight - especially when you're obese/overweight.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options

This.

Also furthermore, obese people don't tend to exercise which means they don't buy exercise products which means that manufacturers really have no incentive to spend more money making them safe for fat people.

You want to change things?

Get more fat people to buy exercise equipment.

If only thin/skinny/lean people are the target market for exercise equipment, then how do you foresee helping `fat people` get into the whole aspect of using exercise equipment?

Really, these sort of comments are not helpful to try to motivate people that want to lose weight and get into using exercise machines/equipment.

There are threads on this website where people are scared to go to the gym because of the people that may be in there commenting on there size?

I think the point is the companies run on the concept of supply and demand. If they are making money selling these machines why would they change that. It costs money to design a sturdier machine, and if we don't speak up and demand it they won't be sure it's worth the investment. Most companies don't care about helping people. No one's saying it's right, but that's how businesses work.
  • pinkgrandmaof8
    pinkgrandmaof8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is why I hesitate to post anything on the community boards...people feel like it's perfectly OK to belittle someone who is just trying to get done what they are here for. Lose weight and get healthy! If you can't say something to help a person, then don't say anything. We are supposed to use these boards to share information and uplift and encourage one another, not to show how sarcastic, mean, and hateful you can be.
    I'm sure there will be ignorant remarks made about this post...YOU are the ones I'm referring too.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Why do these size 32 jeans only fit people with 32 inch waists?

But they don't, because spandex.
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well that opened a can of worms didn't it?

A few points brought up in this thread....

Skinny people exercise too...... Look up the concept of using Hyperbole to make a point.

Go outside and run...... I live in a place that has regular horizontal rain. I have a significantly damaged left leg and a rebuilt pelvis. I can''t run. But carry on generalising by all means. I did buy a bicycle and I used it whenever the weather permits. I would have preferred a static one but hey, guess why I couldn't get one.

I wasn't advocating that they make all equipment available for people up to 500lb. No that wouldn't be economically viable. Having said that, I have been doing steps because its low impact. I started on the wii but 2 inches isnt much of a challenge now so I use a real stair. But as I live in an apartment that means i have to go into the public stairwell to do it. So I wanted to get a stairmaster type jobbie. They went up to 180lb. 180lb??? Really?

So bollocks to it, I went to the DIY store and bought some two by fours and made my own.

And why do size 32 jeans only fit people with thirty two inch waists? You do know they make other sizes right?

There are some tossers on the internet really.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with outside? why do you need a machine?

I personally hate doing cardio on a machine unless I absolutely have to.. I'd much rather be outside!

Crazy, it's almost like different things work better for different people. That's amazing. Wow. Seriously.
  • tannyb
    tannyb Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is what it looks like in my parking lot in the winter:

382243_10200647705298489_743965743_n_zpsa365028c.jpg?t=1367618471

See that snow? Up halfway to the wheel rims?

Yeah. Having indoor equipment that can handle your weight is a complaint I could see as being valid.

Outdoor exercise is not always viable.

Halfway up the wheel rims - you call that snow, lol!?! You have to check out my blog:

http://kristelsphotography.blogspot.ca/2011/02/day-58-inundated.html

Snow gets taller than the whole car, probably halfway up the house here. Yes, I live in Canada and winter really sucks!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I have a significantly damaged left leg and a rebuilt pelvis. I can''t run.

Can you walk? There is no requirement that one runs. If you're using exercise equipment, I expect you can walk.

Whatever. If you wanted it, you would find a way, weight limits or no. There were thousands of years where humans managed physical activity without machines.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The squat rack has no weight limit...

Machines suck...
  • cazzer69
    Options

Can you walk? There is no requirement that one runs. If you're using exercise equipment, I expect you can walk.

Whatever. If you wanted it, you would find a way, weight limits or no. There were thousands of years where humans managed physical activity without machines.

Where have I said "I couldn't buy a machine so i went home and said sod it and opened the Ice Cream"?
  • rml_16
    Options

Where have I said "I couldn't buy a machine so i went home and said sod it and opened the Ice Cream"?

You didn't. But you come across as feeling as though you can't work out without a machine. Honestly, doing stairs is probably better than using the machine. You're using a more natural movement. People who are injured and can't afford equipment or gym memberships and live where there's bad weather manage to exercise every day.
  • cazzer69
    Options
    I do excercise ever day.
    I do at least an hour a day. If not more.

I have my own set of weights. A bicycle. And I walk about 10 miles a week (which is difficult)

I wanted a stair machine so I didn't have to exercise in the public stairwell.
    The point was I couldn't get one because the only made them for light people.

No where did I say that because I couldn't get one I couldn't exercise.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Buy a QUALITY set of resistance bands. No gym needed and you are NOT stuck in a fixed position machine. Also allows you to work around injuries.
  • Levi_Hansen
    Levi_Hansen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sucks but this does give you a goal to work towards.