cinnamon to speed up metabolism...

Options
So i was talking to my mom the other day and she was telling me about this guy she works with who before he eats a meal will take a shot of pure cinnamon before he eats it. she said he has done this for like 4 months and eats like a pig and has lost 70 lbs. so i looked it up online and it does say that a teaspoon of cinnamon before a meal will speed up your metabolism by 20% for 20 min after you have eaten your meal. Just wondering if anybody else has tried this method as well?? Thanks.

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Sounds like rubbish to me.
  • mishelnkiki1
    mishelnkiki1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    well i should have been more exact... this guy i refer too is eating meats and veggies. but huge portions of them. i shouldnt have made it sound like he was eating unhealthy foods. and he does work out too. but he swears by the cinnamon.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options

Yup ^^^ Agreed.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes, a book I once read suggested putting half a teaspoon of cinnamon on your daily oatmeal, which increases your insulin sensitivity by 50%. I have later seen the benefit of cinnamon confirmed several times.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it'll help!! have a whole tablespoon of cinanamon every night!!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No.
  • mishelnkiki1
    Options
    thanks! i though i might be going momentarily crazy. lol. all these posts about how it wont work. im just going based off what he is saying and what i have seen online myself.
  • Pinkgal42
    Pinkgal42 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have heard it wsomewhere too. Worth a try. LOL Great job on your weight loss!!! :)
  • mishelnkiki1
    Options
    I have heard it wsomewhere too. Worth a try. LOL Great job on your weight loss!!! :)

thanks! its actually a gain as my banner used to read 105 lbs lost. lol
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

The results part, yes....however, the NIH has conducted research on this topic:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2901047/
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    No.

:angry:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    REexFnt.gif
  • cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This study was probably funded by... McCormick !

Red wine is good ... funded by... California !

The only proven method to up your metabolism is to listen to Van Halen while working out.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No.

:angry:

Stop slacking then. :angry:
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have cinnamon almost every morning with my yogurt because I like the taste. My doc says it's a good idea and it certainly does no harm, but I'm not sure if it has any real impact on my metabolism. So if you like the taste, go for it.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Look on YouTube for people eating a spoonful of cinnamon... it seems to be impossible to do!
    However, I have heard that spicy foods though do help with metabolism, so use some curry, some cayenne, etc. But a spoonful of cinnamon-- no.....

"Capsaicin is the spicy part of the pepper that may make your mouth feel aflame. It is also one reason why eating spicy foods like peppers may aid in weight loss. Capsaicin has been shown to slightly increase metabolism, and act as an appetite suppressant. According to a 1999 study in the "British Journal of Nutrition," people who included red peppers with their appetizer before lunch ate less during the meal and in their afternoon snacks."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/421532-can-spicy-food-help-you-lose-weight/#ixzz2SMMNh2Pe
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Related, but not the same is the fact that cinnamon and other spices help make you feel full. Lots of the sensa are modeled after capsaicin, which is the chemical responsible for making peppers hot. They have realized that this helps trigger your body to feel fuller sooner. I don't know if it is the same thing with cinnamon, but it could be. It could be that it just makes you feel fuller faster. It sounds like he is eating and exercising right, so that probably helps as well.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    eat a ghost pepper: http://youtu.be/EbhlD2Bthp0
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You can almost see her metabolism speeding up!

cinnamon_challenge_by_caseyjones003-d4jmkjh.gif
  • mishelnkiki1
    Options
    REexFnt.gif

i have actually tried this myself, and it was about that very same effect!