cinnamon to speed up metabolism...

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    The cinnamon challenge is different than what the OP means...I think. Pu is right though, the so-called cinnamon challenge (eating a teaspoon? of cinnamon as quickly as possible) is horribly unsafe as you can inhale it into your lungs and get very sick.

Adding a teaspoon of cinnamon mixed into your daily oatmeal or yogurt is probably ok. I am not sure of the health benefits and haven't researched it.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon works, I use it myself. I buy the capsules so you don't choke on the powder. It has been proven to reduce blood sugar levels as well as or better than most prescription medicines. There are two types, cassia or false cinnamon and ceylon or true cinnamon. Although both have some effect cassia is not as effective and can have some side effects over time. Ceylon is much more effective and has no know side effects. All hot foods will raise metabolism to some degree. Try it, see if it works for you.

No, burning more calories than you eat works.

Now I am sad. What am I going to do with the pallet of Big Red that I ordered from eBay?

bigredlie.jpg
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't snort it. *learns everything the hard way*

i TOLD you!

what a mess!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Cinnabon, here I come!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, it seems like the potential benefits would help diabetics the most (blood sugar), but more research is required.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ive personally never heard of cinnamon speeding up metabolism.

I do know that if you eat hot spicy foods and feel the "warm feeling" after you eat.... then you know your metabolism is working overtime =)
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    probably my #1 favourite spice of all time

But the OP's post about a dude having a shot of cinnamon and then "eating like a pig" but losing 70 lbs made me lol
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes, a book I once read suggested putting half a teaspoon of cinnamon on your daily oatmeal, which increases your insulin sensitivity by 50%. I have later seen the benefit of cinnamon confirmed several times.

Yes, I have heard it helps with insulin sensitivity. So maybe in some small, like almost insignificant, way it may help with weight loss. Never heard that it would speed up metabolism though.
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is recommended for those of us who are insulin resistant to help, but we still have to eat healthy and exercise. It's legit, it's just not a "miracle spice" on it's own.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    cinnamon consists the toxic coumarin, not dangerous is small quantities, but could very well give problems to people eating a spoonful with every meal. Other than that, the spoonfull itself is dangerous already with potential longue problems, bloody nose and respiratory problems. I'd so no. Next to that it will not (or very minimally) help your metabolism. I'd recommend against this.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I have heard that spices, including cinnamon, helps to increase the metabolism. I figure it can't hurt.

i happen to love cinnamon so I add it to things sometimes and enjoy it ... and if it boosts my metabolism in the process, all the better!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't snort it. *learns everything the hard way*

:laugh:
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    doesnt sound tooo too bad. i think ill start adding it to my malt o meal. if it doesnt boost metabolism oh well at least i know its good for your health. healthy body burns fat better. :) unless you've tried it, your a nutritionist, or a dr., you cant exactly say its a bad idea.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    cinnamon consists the toxic coumarin, not dangerous is small quantities, but could very well give problems to people eating a spoonful with every meal. Other than that, the spoonfull itself is dangerous already with potential longue problems, bloody nose and respiratory problems. I'd so no. Next to that it will not (or very minimally) help your metabolism. I'd recommend against this.

Just googled and confirmed this. : (
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    This is not rubbish. Cinnamon is used by many athletes, among others. It has many uses. It lowers blood sugar among other things. So, many diabetics use it. Of course, you should not use a ton of it or you will get your blood sugar too low. It does indeed speed up the metabolism.

The Mayo Clinic reports on recent research that suggests cinnamon can regulate blood sugar for people who have type-2 diabetes. A 2009 study found that cinnamon taken twice a day for three months improved hemoglobin A1C levels. Hemoglobin A1C measure blood sugar levels over a period of 2 to 3 months. If there is too much sugar, A1C levels will be elevated. One reason for cinnamon's impact may be that it increases insulin action. Controlling blood sugar levels will reduce hunger and cravings for sugar, which will lead to weight loss. Eating less food and metabolizing it faster will help you lose weight more quickly.

I don't call that rubbish.

Point in fact, I use it and am losing weight and body fat.
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    I have heard that spices, including cinnamon, helps to increase the metabolism. I figure it can't hurt.

i happen to love cinnamon so I add it to things sometimes and enjoy it ... and if it boosts my metabolism in the process, all the better!

OMG i love your kitty kat ..good advice to
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I actually put a little cinnamon in my coffee, tea, milk, food....whenever I can have a dab of it when out. It controls any cravings I have at that time. I have a tiny little container with some in it I take with me when I go out shopping, so that way I don't impulse buy some food just cause 'I would love to have some of that now'

Cinnamon is actually a very good appetite suppressant & helps with your blood sugar.

All you need is the smallest of dabs on the end of your finger. Hell even Coke Zero tastes great with it.... strange as that seems.

I love the people who say it's BS....yet have not tried it at all or found out how natural it is & what it can do.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

It's talking about the spoonful that you see the morons on Youtube having on it's own...... THAT is the dangerous part, not actually having the Cinnamon, but having it on it's own in the dry form from the spoon.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have heard of so many things that are up posed to help weight loss by increasing the metabolism that don't do anything noticeable, that I'm very sceptical. Green tea did nothing for my weight loss, and coffee was the same. Having said that, I never tried cinnamon.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I actually put a little cinnamon in my coffee, tea, milk, food....whenever I can have a dab of it when out. It controls any cravings I have at that time. I have a tiny little container with some in it I take with me when I go out shopping, so that way I don't impulse buy some food just cause 'I would love to have some of that now'

Cinnamon is actually a very good appetite suppressant & helps with your blood sugar.

All you need is the smallest of dabs on the end of your finger. Hell even Coke Zero tastes great with it.... strange as that seems.

I love the people who say it's BS....yet have not tried it at all or found out how natural it is & what it can do.

Tell me more how natural cinnamon is. :laugh: