Made my first beef tongue (pic)

Options

Replies

• ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I think it's more the presentation than anything else, it looks fairly horrific. Cut it up more and put it in some kind of sauce and maybe... still only maybe....if someone paid me,
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The top piece kills it for me. I need a non tongue looking piece.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Funny, when I was doing the presentation I was thinking "how can I make it clear it is a tongue and not just any cut of meat".

I saw it in the store and thought of my beloved tacos de lengua.

Seriously, this was freaking tasty! Nobody can resist once they have my tongue in their mouth.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Beef tongue is delicious, and has a grainy texture like corned beef, but I'd say the flavor's more like pot roast. It's great in sandwiches.

When I was a kid way back when, we'd sometimes have things like beef tongue, scrapple, head cheese, blood sausage, liver, snails, turtle, sturgeon, and one night, brains (which I didn't care for at all). Luckily we never had the duck blood soup my mother would speak of with great fondness as part of her childhood memories. On Saturdays, I'd walk with my grandmother to the "chicken place" that had live chickens; you'd pick out your chicken, they'd kill it, gut it for you, and strip off the feathers. The heart, liver, gizzard were placed inside. I especially liked the heart and the gizzard. We'd go fishing, and I'd kill the fish and gut them. If you can't look an animal in the eye before it's killed, you probably shouldn't be eating meat. :)

It's the circle of life, mon.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    By the way, ham is pig butt. :)
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oh cool! Where did you get it from?What does it taste like?
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    This actually turned out to be a good rest day food with its very high fat content. I used the same process as making corned beef brisket from scratch. Then boiled for 3 hours in fresh water, then skinned, then boiled again for an hour or so in beer cut with water.

d73532f59fb65511d4e2aefea495449a_zps335a120c.jpg

That sounds good, i've never had it made in beer.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Oh cool! Where did you get it from?What does it taste like?

Well this one tastes like corned beef, because I corned it!

That involves brine with spices and a few days soak before boiling.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    We used to eat tongue all the time when I was a kid. Would boil the hell out of it and the heart, then strip them down and cut into chunks and simmer it all in a vinegary brown or mushroom gravy, then serve with mashed potatoes.

omnomnomnom!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Wish I wouldn't have opened this thread.....ugh!
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    As a child, whenever my mom made tongue, tripe or liver I would go to bed starving. I can't stand the texture and/or smell of any of them. When she cooked tripe I would actually have to leave the house the smell bothered me so much.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Mmmm love love love beef tongue. Somebody said tacos de lengua - OMG! So delicious! Ima get me some beef tongue really really soon! Thanks for the reminder! :drinker: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Kaoticma07
    Kaoticma07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    MMM i love cow tongue Tacos de lengua or wet burrito delicous. Its the best if you have not tried it try it first before you sayy eww nasty trust me you will love it...
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm not picky AT ALL but there are some things that I could not bring myself to try. This would be one of them. No, just no!!!!! Ha ha.

P.S. I'm glad you enjoyed it, LOL>
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I love beef tongue. Have two in the freezer right now that I need to cook sometime. The heart and brains are pretty good too
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat beef tongue is Korean barbecue style. Thin slices lightly grilled then dipped in lemon juice. But beer braised beef tongue sandwiches sound fantastic!

I've eaten tongue dozens if not hundreds of times in my life. It tastes very good.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing at a few of the reactions in here. There are plenty of amazing foods out there, and quality beef tongue is certainly one of them.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I love beef tongue. Have two in the freezer right now that I need to cook sometime. The heart and brains are pretty good too

why the brain i don't want to know this is sending chills down my body o my
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Yum looks good! I'm Puerto Rican and grew up eating pieces of whole roasted pigs, tripe stew (which is the edible portion of various farm animals stomachs), pigs feet stew, and Morcilla which is sausage stuffed with pigs blood. All sound really gross but are actually quite delicious! :drinker:
  • Latona38
    Latona38 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Lengua tacos are the BEST!!!