Anyone else discovered low calories are their only option?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    To the poster who asked what I was eating before and how much of a cut did I make when joining MFP at first and did I gradually reduce calories in order to find out what maintenance/weight loss was the answer is this.

I didn't count calories at all for a while before joining MFP. I previously lost a lot of weight in 2010 going down to 124 lbs and body fat of approximately 28%. I did this by eating 850-1000 calories per day at the time and exercising around 3 times a week (mainly cardio). When I was at goal weight I relaxed my diet a little and probably went up to 1200 calories at a guess which allowed me to maintain my weight easily.

I gained the weight again mainly because at the time I was a way from home for 2 weeks per month and found that I ate/drank a lot of things I wouldn't normally such as sugary coffee shop coffees, pastries/cakes and a lot of bread/carbs. I also joined a gym for the times I was away and would walk to the gym and back (60 minutes) then work out with cardio/weights for an hour and finally at the end of the workouts I was starving so I'd buy lots of 'treats' from the supermarket on the way home.

This in combination with a generally more relaxed diet and bigger portions meant that during the course of a few months I was back to 144lbs. Then I went on another low calorie diet for 2 months to get the weight down for a summer holiday and got back to 131 lbs but my body fat was a lot higher then too so probably back to around 30-31%. After the holiday it continued to creep up again gradually as I stopped eating very low calories and again had the odd high calorie/high sugar snack inbetween healthy eating of things like pastries/chocolate/cakes (2-3 per week) so that helped the weight creep back on again.

It's impossible to know my average calorie intake during periods of weight gain but I wasn't training much then either so even if I was eating 1200 calories most days (which is likely) plus some days of 1500-1600 that would be more than enough to gain weight as I was very sedentary at that time and only doing a bit of cardio 2-3 days a week for 30-40 minutes.

Looking at what I have been doing on here, when I first joined I decided to set my calories to 1050 initially and then the following week increased them to 1150 (from memory) so ate that for 3-4 weeks. During that time before going the TDEE route and increasing calories I lost 4lbs as well as around 2% body fat. After that I took advice on here and immedately increased my calories to 1350, then 1450, then higher and I was working out a lot more (6 days a week).

I found that I put the 4lbs back on but I've not put on any extra weight above my starting weight of 147 lbs. At one stage I know I was eating around 1800 calories per day as I was eating exercise calories back but I didn't gain more weight, except for putting back on the body fat I had lost in the first few weeks.

Looking at my recent intake of calories and working out some averages it looks like I'm now maintaining my start weight by eating around 1600 calories and that's with burning off 3000 calories per week through exercise. If I take that as my TDEE then I know that in order to lose even 1lb per week which I'd be happy with I'd have to eat 3500 less than that each week therefore meaning that I'd have to eat as little 1100 in order to lose. I'm going to try 1250 first and see if I can lose on that but if not I'll lower it to 1100 if necessary. No it's not much food but if my TDEE (including exercise) is actually 600 calories lower than the calculators tell me then that means my BMR is likely to be too and that means my true BMR is really only around 800.

As for a 'reset' that won't work for me as I've already proven. In other words when I gained all this weight I was hardly exercising and I was eating above maintenance as I my then maintenance calories was probably 1200. I probably ate that some days but other days I ate up to 1600 or maybe a little more so of course I gained. When I joined MFP I then cut calories and should have seen dramatic weight loss which just didn't happen. It looks like my maintenance is now higher but that's only because I'm now training 6-7 days a week instead of 2-3 doing very light exercise. Hope this makes some kind of sense to some people!
    This post sounds like the textbook "vlc + cardio -> massive muscle loss -> low BMR -> stuck on vlc" story. It's good to hear you are lifting heavy. Hopefully once you gain some LBM you can go back to eating more. :)
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    #1 eating 800-1000 calories a day..with do SO MUCH damage to your metabolism its ridiculous...please eat.

#2 with this amount of calories, yes you will lose weight, but you're creating an eating disorder and are starving yourself.

#3 You need to eat at least your BMR amount of calories...however with exercise your body needs more.

Please seek a new doctor and or nutritionist. The one you saw obviously doesn't have any idea what their talking about.

^^^THIS!!!
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just do what works for you?

At lot of post are `in place of a road map` and this is what you are finding.

I have been losing steadily/slowly and been maintaining now for a while.

During the weight loss stage (for a long while) I tried lots of different foods high/low proteins etc. and found what worked for me eventually.

IMO everyone is different and what works for one person..well that may work great, for them, but it might not work for you?

The long and short of it is the same old eat less, move more x

^^^This!!!
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It's great to read success stories and that's part of the reason I've not given up on this journey as on MFP I've read some really inspirational posts from others who've had success. That's partly why I decided to try eating more in order to lose weight it's just a shame that it hasn't worked for me so far.

I enjoy working out and in the early days when I was really heavy and started eating much less and losing easily it felt so good I didn't really think about the fact there may be another way to do it which would avoid me damaging my metabolism. It's too late now though and the damage has been done (if that's actually the case) but back then I didn't know any better and websites like this didn't exist to help me.

Now I'm intent on stripping off the fat and will do whatever it takes in order to get there without putting myself through any more misery/upset by gaining more weight and banging my head against a wall to figure out the best way to get there! I also can't face having to spend another summer hiding indoors and being so self-conscious about my body like has happened every time I've ever got big before so for now lower calories is my only way forward.

Hopefully when I get there I'll be able to build my strength and for the first time in my life actually look like a 'fit' person rather than just someone who looks normal rather than being overweight. If I can achieve that in the end by eating more then great. Until then I'll just keep on eating my 100 plus grams of protein and lifting heavy as well as doing a little cardio for fun.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    #1 eating 800-1000 calories a day..with do SO MUCH damage to your metabolism its ridiculous...please eat.

#2 with this amount of calories, yes you will lose weight, but you're creating an eating disorder and are starving yourself.

#3 You need to eat at least your BMR amount of calories...however with exercise your body needs more.

Please seek a new doctor and or nutritionist. The one you saw obviously doesn't have any idea what their talking about.

Eating 800 to 1000 is not damaging to your metabolism. The issue is whether you will commit to a diet with that few calories long enough to lose weight.

People have been on medically supervised diets of 400 calories a day. A few have consumed virtually nothing (again, medically supervised, I'm not suggesting that anyone do this on her or his own). An eating disorder is psychological/mental. You have to have a predisposition for it. If you have problems, obviously you should follow a conservative diet.

You can eat below your BMR if you want. There's an expert (Registered Dietitian) who posts here periodically who said it is not unhealthy. The issue is whether you will keep it up. Some can, some can't, some will, some won't.

The reason eating below 1200cal/day is considered unhealthy is because its extremely difficult to get enough nutrients, protein and carbs for your body to function well.

Yes, some of us shorty's will be eating 1200cal/day (that's 150cm/5'0") because that's where our BMR sits. Heavy weight lifting, and some cardio enables us to eat a little more.

Any new programme needs to be consistent for 6-8wks to allow your body time to adjust.

Also, if you're already within the healthy weight range (BMI 20-25) then any loss >1/2-1lb per wk is not realistic. Patience is definitely required.
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi - I started in January this year and have been on a strict 1200 a day limit, most days I don't even use that up, it's more like 900-1000 cals on average, I have lost every single week and that's with very limited exercise (have a back injury). For me, the low calories are working when nothing else did and I do believe it's because I have it at 1200 cals and am being strict about it. I have lost an average of 1.6lbs a week and so far so good nearly 28lbs gone. I know some can eat more and get away with it but not me. Once I reach my goal weight later this year I will still be logging foods as I am the type that needs to monitor even in maintaining weight.

I moved this week from the Obese BMI range to Overweight, and on my way now to a healthy weight BMI, that's since January 4th.

I disagree that days of 900 cals are starving yourself or slows down your metabolism - I had many weeks when I ate really well and was just simply not hungry and was not going to use the calories just because they were there. I have HUGE salads, lots of lean meats, fruit, I replace treats with healthy snacks, lots of fresh steamed veg. I don't feel deprived at all and am looking and feeling really healthy. Have lost 2 dress sizes in just under 4 months.

If you want a friend on MFP, feel free to add me, I post every day and my diary is open to all, I am committed all the way :-)

Do what works for YOU....
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you truly have such a low BMR, then I would say start lifting heavy right away. You can build lean body mass and increase your metabolism - and increase your food intake/BMR needs.

THIS! Start building muscle now, you will be surprised at where it gets you!
  • JAT74
    Options
    I know it's a lot to read thorough but as I've already said several times I am and have been weight lifting from day 1 on MFP (2nd Jan) and lifting heavy now for at least 7 weeks ( well as heavy as I can physically lift). Hopefully that's helping prevent muscle loss but can't see many benefits yet.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    I know it's a lot to read thorough but as I've already said several times I am and have been weight lifting from day 1 on MFP (2nd Jan) and lifting heavy now for at least 7 weeks ( well as heavy as I can physically lift). Hopefully that's helping prevent muscle loss but can't see many benefits yet.

Like I said earlier, I think you need to follow a recognized effective beginner routine. You may just be going round and round in circles with the way you are trying to achieve that 'fit look'. You will never build muscle at your calorie deficit, and adding muscle and then losing fat is the only way you will achieve a 'fit looking body'. You really really need to move away from the low calorie mindset. In your case it will just further hinder your problems I suspect.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Like I said earlier, I think you need to follow a recognized effective beginner routine. You may just be going round and round in circles with the way you are trying to achieve that 'fit look'. You will never build muscle at your calorie deficit, and adding muscle and then losing fat is the only way you will achieve a 'fit looking body'. You really really need to move away from the low calorie mindset. In your case it will just further hinder your problems I suspect.

^^THIS ^^ Sexymuffintop is talking sense and trying to help. I can vouch that trying to lift heavy on too low calories only stalls both your weight loss and your progress in increasing the weights lifted.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope. I like to eat and live. :noway:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

^^THIS ^^ Sexymuffintop is talking sense and trying to help. I can vouch that trying to lift heavy on too low calories only stalls both your weight loss and your progress in increasing the weights lifted.

QFT.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options

not necessarily. these statements cannot be blanketed as truth for all humans.

omg what? this is true for all humans LOL we do mess our metabolism, and yes if you feel you have to eat that low of cals to lose weight that is creating an eating disorder. You are losing weight for looks. There is no heath added to that fitness lifestyle. That is not a healthy way of thinking. You would sacrifice your metabolism for a thin body? That's not mentally healthy. This eating well and exercising is for long lasting results, for health, and because she doesn't have health care right now she should look at a program that will prevent any ailments in the future. Honey this is your chance to make a difference in how often you use the health care in your old age. Also choosing to eat under what your body needs if it's in a coma and not moving? that's not mentally healthy. Something is wrong here. Is this for health and fitness, or temp gains and looks? Have you ever seen the photo's of arms and bums when you diet to lose weight? they lack definition, lifting will get you results. Google photo's. I have not done one lick of cardio once and am only lifting and eating 1800 cals on rest days and 2000 cals on lifting days. I am 5'5 and weight 120. My weight has not changed but I have lost a total of 5 inches all over just from lifting. If it's not working just go back for advice, and please never use a scale, if you keep the same pair of pants to try on as a progress report, record what you can lift so you can see improvements and log inches you will see your progress. Don't even look at the scale. Ive seen photo's of a girl who had the belly flab and love handles and lose all the fat and have rock hard abs and was 10 lbs heavier at the end of her journey. Hopefully you can find the right person to talk to because the way your headed is the same fate as your mom. And please tell your mom she needs a new doctor. I cant believe that was medical advice.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    Also just so you know your partner can eat all he wants and not gain weight because muscle uses energy. Gain more muscle and you can eat more and not gain weight. (within limits)
  • JAT74
    Options
    If I was starting off at your weight I'd be more than happy to put on an additional 10lb muscle and be heavier but I'm an inch shorter than you with a small build, 147 lbs and very high body fat. I need to lose the fat then build the muscle not gain more fat which would then take me out of healthy BMI territory even if it does mean gaining some more muscle too.

Not all of us fit what online calculators say we should be ie. My true BMR is currently much lower than the 1300-1400 I'm told it is online as I gain at 1600 while burning off 400 through exercise and otherwise being sedentary. I am therefore not eating too little for my body at 1200 (which I've only started today after 4 months plus of eating a lot higher and gaining) az my true BMR is probably only 800-1000 max.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    OP, I went and read quite of few of your earlier posts, from March, February and so on. I'm not sure what you have and have not tried. From reading your earlier threads and posts, I don't see where you have done the same thing for four weeks, much less four months. Based on what I have read in this thread and earlier threads you enjoy this 1200 calorie debate, you have started more than one thread that began one. I'm done here. You have gotten a little bit of good advice in this one, and a truckload of bad, but you are gonna do what you want anyway. Peace.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options

not necessarily. these statements cannot be blanketed as truth for all humans.

omg what? this is true for all humans LOL we do mess our metabolism, and yes if you feel you have to eat that low of cals to lose weight that is creating an eating disorder. You are losing weight for looks. There is no heath added to that fitness lifestyle. That is not a healthy way of thinking. You would sacrifice your metabolism for a thin body? That's not mentally healthy. This eating well and exercising is for long lasting results, for health, and because she doesn't have health care right now she should look at a program that will prevent any ailments in the future. Honey this is your chance to make a difference in how often you use the health care in your old age. Also choosing to eat under what your body needs if it's in a coma and not moving? that's not mentally healthy. Something is wrong here. Is this for health and fitness, or temp gains and looks? Have you ever seen the photo's of arms and bums when you diet to lose weight? they lack definition, lifting will get you results. Google photo's. I have not done one lick of cardio once and am only lifting and eating 1800 cals on rest days and 2000 cals on lifting days. I am 5'5 and weight 120. My weight has not changed but I have lost a total of 5 inches all over just from lifting. If it's not working just go back for advice, and please never use a scale, if you keep the same pair of pants to try on as a progress report, record what you can lift so you can see improvements and log inches you will see your progress. Don't even look at the scale. Ive seen photo's of a girl who had the belly flab and love handles and lose all the fat and have rock hard abs and was 10 lbs heavier at the end of her journey. Hopefully you can find the right person to talk to because the way your headed is the same fate as your mom. And please tell your mom she needs a new doctor. I cant believe that was medical advice.

nope. totally not true for everyone....LOL. an eating disorder is not in fact started just because one eats at a high deficit some of the time. just simply not. true. and especially not true for everyone. laughable all the emotion going on here!
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    OP, I went and read quite of few of your earlier posts, from March, February and so on. I'm not sure what you have and have not tried. From reading your earlier threads and posts, I don't see where you have done the same thing for four weeks, much less four months. Based on what I have read in this thread and earlier threads you enjoy this 1200 calorie debate, you have started more than one thread that began one. I'm done here. You have gotten a little bit of good advice in this one, and a truckload of bad, but you are gonna do what you want anyway. Peace.

Agree 100%. Your threads only ever seem to go in one direction. You seem to think your only route is a low calorie one, and you seem blinkered to any other approach. You don't seem to listen to any advice, just argue why it can't apply to you, or help you. Until you get out of your limited mindset you will stay in the same rut. But I've given you my opinion, as have several others. Low cal is good for the obese, they have large fat reserves to lose from. You don't. Low cal isn't your answer. But I'm done here, you don't seem to actually want help, just affirmation that your plan will work.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Of course I'd rather eat more but seems that my body is just not built that way. By eating 550 calories 2 days a week it means I can eat 1450-1650 on the other days (in theory) so I'm starting that from tomorrow. Up until now I've only been able to lose any weight at all by lowering calories to 1000-1150 and after 4 months of exercising and eating 1400-2000 per day with no weight loss or fat loss I am still trying to figure out how low I need to go to finally start losing again.

If I tried to have days of eating 550 calories, I would have to quit my job because I would definitely not be able to function or think clearly.

this