potatoes are fabulous!

Options
124»

Replies

• rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I very much like potatoes in nearly every form (except potato salad) but as they are rather high on the Glycemic Index, I try to eat them sparingly and try to only eat one a day and only if I have no breads, pasta, or white rice on the same day.

Often try to use red potatoes which are a little lower on the GI.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any sweets other than the occasional diet coke. I also don't eat any fruit. I guess the starch breaking down into a sugar isn't really a problem for me, so I'll just keep eating them.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I very much like potatoes in nearly every form (except potato salad) but as they are rather high on the Glycemic Index, I try to eat them sparingly and try to only eat one a day and only if I have no breads, pasta, or white rice on the same day.

Often try to use red potatoes which are a little lower on the GI.

IMO, I think the concern over the high GI is a little overblown. Unless you are eating just the potato, then the average GI of the entire meal will be lower on the index when combined with a lean meat.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Harvard Health has a nice list of glycemic loads of some foods for anyone interested on how it effects blood sugar. Everyone is different and it's just a guideline. The potato is near the bottom.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

That's a great list - Thanks :drinker:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    God created the potato.

And Satan said, "Let there be sour cream..."

If that's true then

tumblr_mboxnrpHhs1r2tlf9o1_500.jpg
  • Snarkist
    Snarkist Posts: 37
    Options
    potatoes are amazerful. I get lots of my potassium from potatoes
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Who hates on potatoes???

No sane person I know.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fabulous.

Potatoes make vodka.

Vodka is fabulous.

Bloody Marys are made with vodka and are also fabulous.

Some people would never, ever get laid without the power of vodka.

I think some of you potato haters should remember that.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    fabulous indeed

44f7b11e726cc0cd4102c3f700edc87d.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ohai
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    i guess it comes down to personal opinions and decisions. but i choose not to eat potatoes.

yes, potatoes have nutritious components, such as B vitamins, vitamin C, and some excellent minerals. But all those good things can't save it from being a starch bomb that hits your system like a bag of candy.

Dr. Spreen explains, a baked potato is as close to a pure, refined starch as you can get without actually refining it.
    Dr. Spreen: "As soon as a starch hits enzymes in your mouth, the starches begin the digestion process, and breaks down to (you guessed it) sugar. As soon as the starch breaks down to sugar, you're back to a refined simple carb."

and those refined simple carbs are the ones that increase abdominal fat, promote weight gain, and help set the stage for type 2 diabetes.
    and most recipes call for peeling the skin off potatoes. but that's wher

e most of the nutrients are!

Shyuddup! Dr. Spleen...OMG. *eyeroll*
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    luna-and-sulli-fx.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Love me some 'taties.

I got into all things low GI a while ago and gave up my microwaved jacket potatoes in favour of other veg. Then I thought - meh, pharque it, gotta die of something, might as well enjoy what I want within reason.

:drinker:

Me too! and I had two great ones but then after my mastatectomy I hope the one I have left is sufficient.

f1d6819c632b766d39ad5e5df16205ff_view.jpg
  • MissMonicaC
    MissMonicaC Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree with " No such thing as a bad vegetable". Eat it lightly steamed, baked, or something healthy.. not fried with bacon and oils and cheese ect, but just the simplicity of a potato in moderation is healthy!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think the concern over the high GI is a little overblown. Unless you are eating just the potato, then the average GI of the entire meal will be lower on the index when combined with a lean meat.

I was just about to ask about this. Unlike fruit, where it's common to eat it on its own, potatoes are usually eaten as part of a meal and often with butter or some other kind of fat added. That would seem to make the high GI thing largely irrelevant. (I'm cool with both potatoes and fruit, for the record.)