Guacamole; 3 Questions

Options
13»

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't bother to store them -- it's hard to get all the oxygen out so you don't go brown, and the other methods introduce different flavour that I don't always want. Plus -- avocados!

Quick method: I just take 1 ripe avocado and smush it with a fork, add in some garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, red pepper, tabasco, and a hint of sea salt and mix it up.

A fresher take - I might add some minutely diced onions instead of onion powder, and instead of tabasco, I'll add serrano or other hot pepper. If I'm feeling really in the mood, I'll roast them first then dice up and add, plus I'll dice up some fresh garlic and get it browned in some walnut oil, drain and pat, and add that instead of garlic powder.

Rather than add tomato or sour cream or salsa, etc -- I serve that stuff on the side so people can mix and match according to taste. I've got a rockin' tomatillo salsa that I make sometimes and mixing that with guac and shredded chicken and fresh black beans is to die for! I'll cook up a batch of shredded chicken and a batch of black beans, freeze some of it, and keep some in the fridge also with some brown rice. That way, I can just warm up what I want to eat and not have a bunch of prep time. Just make the fresh guac and voila!
  • rachaelbmh
    rachaelbmh Posts: 54
    Options
    I like to mash an avocado then add some jalapeno, green onion, garlic and lime juice. I love using it to dip with veggie sticks or topping chicken.

I have found that keeping the pit in with the guacamole helps keep it from oxidizing. I'm not sure why it works - but it does!