Disappointment after Week 1

Options
At the start of Week 1 of my 8-week challenge, I was strictly following my diet. And vigorously exercising. Then I made a weekend trip out of town and didn't eat so well. And now I completed the first weigh in. And I've lost a whopping 1.4 lbs.

This is incredibly disappointing. And with it being only the first week adds insult to injury. I'm doing my best to try to pick myself up and get back on track. But right now I can't help the overwhelming feelings of discouragement.

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    1.4 lbs is disappointing?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, you did say this was after one week, correct?? How much weight were you hoping to lose after 1 week??
  • Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    what percentage of your total weight is 1.4lbs?
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be disappointed. A loss of 1.4 is good.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't even lose that in a month
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you ate like crap over the weekend, it's entirely possible you ate like you were at a salt lick. Drink some water. Actually, drink a metric cr@p ton of water, keep doing what you were doing, and I'll bet you post a stellar loss next week.

That being said, well done on the 1.4. :)
  • bs025518
    bs025518 Posts: 2
    Options
    Weekends have been tough for me as well. A friend of mine had a great suggestion. That was to weigh on Sunday's. It tends to keep you a little more focused on the weekend.

Just a thought.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    keep at it. sometimes your body takes time to adjust. plus, most experts recommend you lose 1-2 lbs per week anyway, so it seems like you're exactly where you should be!

i know it's hard to be patient with these things when you feel like you're working so hard and want immediate results, but it's much better to be slow and steady and most importantly HEALTHY.

stay strong, eat good foods, exercise, and be kind to yourself. you will lose the weight.

best of luck!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    That is a great loss!!!
    Google that in fat and you will see how much that is.
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Weekends have been tough for me as well. A friend of mine had a great suggestion. That was to weigh on Sunday's. It tends to keep you a little more focused on the weekend.

Just a thought.

+1
  • amyylee_
    amyylee_ Posts: 12
    Options
    That's actually a good loss after one week.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing.

I was thinking it too!!! I blame things like the Biggest Loser for people being disappointed in weight loss like this!
  • gg0502
    gg0502 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep going, it took me over a year to get to my goal weight, I lost 55lbs in a year. Slow but I was not in a hurry did not gain it all in one week. Some weeks I did not lose anything please do not give up. I am 64 years old and excited about wearing a size 8. :happy:
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    1.4 is a good loss. Go to the grocery store, pick up a 1 pound package of something. THAT is what you WERE carrying around, but not any more. Good luck! You can do this.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You actually want to lose weight slowly. If you lose weight quickly, you're losing muscle mass, electrolytes, and water that you need. It's the slow loss that means you're losing body fat. Watch "Hungry for Change" to understand the diet industry a bit better - although I'm not suggesting you immediately go mostly raw vegan, okay?

It took me years, literally, years to lose 80lbs. I would go through month-long plateaus where I wouldn't lose weight at all. The other week, I gained 2 lbs for a reason I still haven't figured out. However, it's progress over time that counts. In general (pesky occasional 2lb gain aside), slow and steady wins the race. I haven't gained back what I lost, and I'm healthier overall because of it.

I know it's frustrating when you see people in your life and the media who lose weight really quickly following certain programs. There are a lot out there, and finding the one that works for you is part of the challenge. For example, I gained weight following weight watchers, but there are plenty of people out there who credit the program for their success. A vegetarian version of phase 2/3 of South Beach is closest to how I lost and eat now if you're looking for ideas.

Keep up the healthy habits, because a 1.4 lb loss looks great to me. Hang in there, even with what you perceive as a setback. Feel free to add me if you'd like me in your corner on your journey :)
  • runningindigo
    runningindigo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself!!! A loss is a loss not matter 0.1 lbs or 1.4lbs!! You lost and didnt' gain...and you even said you didn't eat so well???!!! Pat yourself on the back and keep it moving because if you can lose 1.4lbs not eating so well, just think how much you can lose EATING WELL!! :happy:
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    it takes your body time to adjust, some people lose water weight quickly in the beginning, others GAIN. Personally I lost 8 lbs in the first month- month and 1/2 just by changing my food a little, then I decided to REALLY try (gym all the time and really watching my foods) and ended up gaining weight! LOL... but it all evened out within a few weeks and I've been on the decrease since basically :)

Celebrate the 1.4 lbs lost!! :)
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It isn't a race, this is why I hate these so-called "challenges." The entire point is to lose weight and gain health. Trending downward is exactly what you want to do.
  • Zaefira
    Zaefira Posts: 13
    Options
    That's AMAZING! Especially if your weekend wasn't so great. I'm actually aiming for a pound 1/2 per week. Your doing this the proper way - people don't become professional pianists or linguists or Olympic athletes over night! That's how I think of it anyway. Keep it up in two weeks you'd have lost 3lbs. PLUS don't just look at the scale. Take your inches as well. GL