Disappointment after Week 1

Options

Replies

• wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You need to have more realistic loss goals. 1.4 pounds is a healthy and respectable loss for a single week.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    you lost 1.4lbs in a week and you're complaining? i'm lost here
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It takes years to gain the weight , you can't expect to have it off in a matter of weeks. That is the reality.

THIS.

A loss is a loss. Never be disappointed in a loss. It isn't about how much you lost in 1 week. It's about how much you've lost period!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What did you actually expect?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You actually want to lose weight slowly. If you lose weight quickly, you're losing muscle mass, electrolytes, and water that you need. It's the slow loss that means you're losing body fat. Watch "Hungry for Change" to understand the diet industry a bit better - although I'm not suggesting you immediately go mostly raw vegan, okay?

It took me years, literally, years to lose 80lbs. I would go through month-long plateaus where I wouldn't lose weight at all. The other week, I gained 2 lbs for a reason I still haven't figured out. However, it's progress over time that counts. In general (pesky occasional 2lb gain aside), slow and steady wins the race. I haven't gained back what I lost, and I'm healthier overall because of it.

I know it's frustrating when you see people in your life and the media who lose weight really quickly following certain programs. There are a lot out there, and finding the one that works for you is part of the challenge. For example, I gained weight following weight watchers, but there are plenty of people out there who credit the program for their success. A vegetarian version of phase 2/3 of South Beach is closest to how I lost and eat now if you're looking for ideas.

Keep up the healthy habits, because a 1.4 lb loss looks great to me. Hang in there, even with what you perceive as a setback. Feel free to add me if you'd like me in your corner on your journey :)

Perfectly said. Congrats on the loss - keep going!!! :)
  • tornado_ash
    tornado_ash Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks (to everyone above!) for putting this into the right perspective.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    yah you might as well quit now. Only 1.4 pounds in your first week? Why, at that rate you'll only lose 72.8 pounds in a year. If you keep this up you'll be at your goal weight in 4 months! OMG that is sooooooo slow. You should totally just quit now and not even bother.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm joking. You are losing weight just fine. Keep it up, you simply will not lose 20 pounds in a week or whatever unrealistic thing you were expecting.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    What did you actually expect?
    Great question!

Ill just add to everyone saying how that's a GREAt loss!!
    (I've lost .5 lbs in the past 4 weeks- It's not easy, but it IS worth it!!)
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    1.4 lbs is disappointing?
    Exactly what I thought especially since you said you had food issues and getting back on track?
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You lost me at 1.4 being a disappointment....
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Don't be disappointed and here is why:

1. You worked hard
    2. You enjoyed life
    3. You are trying to change your lifestyle.

And besides your body does not say oh we started eating well and working out on Sunday. So next Sunday I will release 2 pounds. NOPE it says you at well and worked out on a regularly. And I will drop the weight when I WANT TO. Not on the day you tell me too. So hang in there. Keep pushing and Keep up the good work. The results will come.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's disappointing to lose only 1.5 pounds ? That's about three times more than I lose on a good week.

Don't be impatient about weight loss. It's a process that will take years, depending on where you start, and maintaining.requires years of the same effort, but without the hunger caused by a deficit. It's a lifestyle.

1.4 pounds is a great loss.

One thing I remind myself of all the time is, "don't think like a lazy person." Nothing is instant. Everything worth having is worth working for. It took a good six months for me to feel like I could bounce back from exercise, and nine months before I felt like my body was light enough to jog well.

Instead of being disappointed at eating something, how about working in some extra cardio or a couple more servings of fruit and vegetables tomorrow?

Don't be concerned about doing everything perfectly. When you first start out losing weight, it's easy to knock down numbers on scale.
    Small changes will magnify over time. Eating more at some meals is not a problem because you did enough good things that week to lose weight ! As long as you play the numbers game and counterbalance your calories with what your body burns, then you'll win.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Oh Sweet Baby Jeus.. 1.4 pounds is dissapointing? Welcome to the real world of weightloss.

First week, thousandth week who the eff cares? Its 1.4 pounds that you didn't gain be happy with it.

I do a friggen happy dance when I lose .4 pounds 1.4 would be a full out celebration. I think you need to re-evaluate what you want out of this.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you're "goal" is to lose about 26 lbs. If that's what it take for you to be within your healthy range, then you don't have much to lose and 1.4 lbs for a week may actually be too much too fast.

It boils down to what you have to lose...if you have more to lose than just the 26 lbs, then you may be able to stand to lose more than .5 lbs a week, maybe 1 or 2. Either way, 1.4 lbs a week is not a bad deal..at all.

We may want to lose 5-10 lbs a week, but the reality is that its better for our bodies, our skin, our health to take it a little slower and allow the body to adjust to the changes.
  • emilylanham917
    emilylanham917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Isn't 1-2 pounds the healthy goal to lose per week? If you are losing a lot more than that, you are doing something extremely wrong. Dropping weight fast is unhealthy and 9 times out of 10, it comes back. 1.4 pounds in a week is awesome! You should be proud!
  • Xzombabe
    Xzombabe Posts: 7
    Options
    1.4 lbs is disappointing?

^This.
    That's a pretty good amount for one week.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed when I first got here and was losing about 1.5 pounds a week...because I was only trying to lose half a pound a week. I dialed my calories up and put an end to that ****. Smaller deficit for me = long term success. And with luck, more muscle retention and a longer time to allow my middle-aged skin to shrink so I don't end up with loose skin.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? That is 0.4lbs over the recommended loss per week.
  • mzteebell
    mzteebell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't even lose that in a month

Ditto!
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I don't even lose that in a month

This.

Manage your expectations.