SAHM 5/24 - 5/30

Options
DrBorkBork
DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
We are a group of FABULOUS sahm's who are committed to our good health goals. We are informal but do challenge each other too. and we totally get the unique roles we play and the struggles that follow in trying to get fit and take care of our families and homes. :) come join the conversation at any time. we welcome newcomers!

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    GM everyone! I hope you had a great weekend! I am so stiff from running 12 miles yesterday, and then putting our fencing up for the chicken's run. We didn't get it completely finished like I thought we were going to because it rained all day saturday. But we are very close to being done! YAY!

Goals for my week:
    try to actually lose some weight...I seem stuck again. I think I need to get a scale to weigh my food.

Trish- what is the weather going to be like there in June?
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Well, Nicole, today's Happy Valley weather is SNOW with a chance of SUCKING!

ROFL. I hope it's sunny when you come. By July it's usually in the low 100s by mid-day. So I'm thinking 90s mid-June, probably with snow still in the mountains with how we're getting dumped on right now. You'd think it was December right now!

Hubby & Grace are still sick (Grace is slowly getting better), so hubs is working from home, and has graciously agreed to watch Queen Fu so I can go to gym. Going to start weight training today, and go back for Zumba tonight.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Nicole ~ I'm in awe of you, all of the time! haha!

Trish ~ Sorry the fam is sick and about the snow, YUCK! Hope things get better today!

As some have you seen, I got my period yesterday. Why does it have to come every 20-23 days and last a week?! So really, I get a break for 2 weeks before she's back. ugh...I think it makes it harder to lose weight ;) I'll cling to any excuse I can take, haha!

Need to get to the store, just wanted to vent....grrrr!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Trish- Snow? UGH! IT is colder than the norm here too!I hope that doesn't mean we are going ot get slammed with hot weather!
    I hope the gambu leaves your house soon!

Katie-:blushing: you make me blush! No need to be in awe of me! join me in the crazy running!:tongue: My period was like that it my early 20's. YUCK! I am so sorry to hear that! Since I have been using the iodine, mine has been every 30 days like clock work. I can deal with that.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I've had mine for a month now. It's not so fun. I thought it had gone away the other day, but went to bathroom & there it was. Ugh! I hope it will stop soon. Is very obnoxious
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone. Sorry I have been MIA for a week but I needed some down time. Still logging my food & trying to ready occasionally but well. . .

Welcome to all the newbies--glad you are here. This is a great group of ladies. {HUGS}

I am back on the band wagon. Trying to really watch my food intake as I am still taking it easy. WATER WATER WATER.

Trish--I would trade a little cooler air for the 90 degree humidity we have here. Last week it was cold cold cold and rainy but now it is so not.

I am off to do laundry cause it sure will dry on the line fast today! Then back to working on school paper work stuff(homeschool). I am so not motivated right now. :)

Blessings,

Kim
  • blessdmomof4
    blessdmomof4 Posts: 125
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Trish- I am so sorry about the snow. :noway: I can't think of many things worse than snow at this time of year. I just can't imagine what I would do if it snowed here again. Praying it changes quickly. If it's anything like spring in New England it will. Here they say, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute :laugh: Hope the colds clear up again soon. We do 1000mg of C for the kids daily (Emergen C in their juice each morning) to keep their immunities up, and garlic, pro-biotics, Omega 3's and zinc. It's been the best winter/spring since they were born and worth every penny those supplements have cost.

Katie (and Trish)- sorry to hear about the period too. Mine came early this month too, for the first time in over 8 years. I have been on a clockwork 28-30 days for most of my life. I was rather caught of guard! Hormones are such a tough thing to figure out. My Dr recommended acupuncture. She said American medicine and hormones is like taking a hammer to a china closet but that acupuncture is a much more delicate and effective approach.

Nicole- 12 miles! I can't even imagine! My goal is to shoot for 5 by the end of summer. What pace do you run when you do such a long one? It boggles my mind that you can run 12 miles and build a chicken run and not lose! Maybe one of these days you'll just wake up to a big loss. I find that varying my food helps too. One week I will cut out most carbs then the next week I allow them again. I seem to get better losses when I am changing it up a bit.

Kim- you can do it! It's tough to stay on track w/ so many busy things going on and even some big changes. I hope things will settle back down for you now. How's the hip feeling?

TOM is here for me too and it has come w/ a vengence. I feel so bloated and fat. It's hard to believe I can lose almost 30 lbs and still feel so chubby! My hubby is away at a Pastor's conference for a few days so I can't make it to the gym in the mornings for the next few days :frown: I got a walk/jog in w/ a friend at the track last night and might try to do that again this evening. It has a park for the kids to play on while I walk. I have been having a hard time controlling my eating the past few days too. Too many indulgences. Trying to cut out sugar today and carbs too. They have snuck their way back in. It's amazing how easy it is to become complacent. I sometimes laugh at how similar it all is to the spiritual life. I find so often that the scriptures that I apply to my life in a spiritual sense, often make a lot of sense in a physical aspect as well. (Romans 15 says For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. I sure can relate to that when I'm mouwing a sundae...even though it's the very thing I hate b/c It got me to where I didn't want to be and don't want to go back to!) Anyway, trying to be strong in the Lord today and not indulge in any sugar. It's TV dinner night for the kiddies b/c they always get one when their daddy goes away to a conference. I'm planning on a big salad for myself but if I don't get a chance to burn a few calories somehow, I'll still be over. I find it nearly impossible to stay under 1200 lately on the days I don't work out!

Enjoy your day everyone!
  • blessdmomof4
    blessdmomof4 Posts: 125
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Trish- I am so sorry about the snow. :noway: I can't think of many things worse than snow at this time of year. I just can't imagine what I would do if it snowed here again. Praying it changes quickly. If it's anything like spring in New England it will. Here they say, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute :laugh: Hope the colds clear up again soon. We do 1000mg of C for the kids daily (Emergen C in their juice each morning) to keep their immunities up, and garlic, pro-biotics, Omega 3's and zinc. It's been the best winter/spring since they were born and worth every penny those supplements have cost.

Katie (and Trish)- sorry to hear about the period too. Mine came early this month too, for the first time in over 8 years. I have been on a clockwork 28-30 days for most of my life. I was rather caught of guard! Hormones are such a tough thing to figure out. My Dr recommended acupuncture. She said American medicine and hormones is like taking a hammer to a china closet but that acupuncture is a much more delicate and effective approach.

Nicole- 12 miles! I can't even imagine! My goal is to shoot for 5 by the end of summer. What pace do you run when you do such a long one? It boggles my mind that you can run 12 miles and build a chicken run and not lose! Maybe one of these days you'll just wake up to a big loss. I find that varying my food helps too. One week I will cut out most carbs then the next week I allow them again. I seem to get better losses when I am changing it up a bit.

Kim- you can do it! It's tough to stay on track w/ so many busy things going on and even some big changes. I hope things will settle back down for you now. How's the hip feeling?

TOM is here for me too and it has come w/ a vengence. I feel so bloated and fat. It's hard to believe I can lose almost 30 lbs and still feel so chubby! My hubby is away at a Pastor's conference for a few days so I can't make it to the gym in the mornings for the next few days :frown: I got a walk/jog in w/ a friend at the track last night and might try to do that again this evening. It has a park for the kids to play on while I walk. I have been having a hard time controlling my eating the past few days too. Too many indulgences. Trying to cut out sugar today and carbs too. They have snuck their way back in. It's amazing how easy it is to become complacent. I sometimes laugh at how similar it all is to the spiritual life. I find so often that the scriptures that I apply to my life in a spiritual sense, often make a lot of sense in a physical aspect as well. (Romans 15 says For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. I sure can relate to that when I'm mouwing a sundae...even though it's the very thing I hate b/c It got me to where I didn't want to be and don't want to go back to!) Anyway, trying to be strong in the Lord today and not indulge in any sugar. It's TV dinner night for the kiddies b/c they always get one when their daddy goes away to a conference. I'm planning on a big salad for myself but if I don't get a chance to burn a few calories somehow, I'll still be over. I find it nearly impossible to stay under 1200 lately on the days I don't work out!

Enjoy your day everyone!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Did my 3 miles today. Wasn't feeling my running mojo, so kinda speed walked the whole thing (jogged/ran maybe 3-4 times for only a min or 2). If anyone's looking for a good 5 mph song to jog to, try "Shut Up" by Simple Plan. It's fun. Afterwards I braved the weight room & did quads, pecs, abs, thighs... For the record Pec Flys SUCK. Ow, ow, ow. That is all.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Melissa- My pace for my run yesterday was a 9:45 per mile pace. I have also incorpororated the whole thinking into my long runs for marathong training that you walk a so much each mile etc. I walked a total of 4 1/2 minutes, and still got a 9:45 pace. I am pleased with that! My fastest pace for 10 miles was an 8:59 pace. YEEHAH! someday I am hoping on doing that again. You would think that I would be skin and bones with my activities. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. All of my life I have seem to have gotten stuck here in the 160's. My goal is 135 and I havent' ssen that since I was in 6th grade.
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    Options
    Melissa--things have settled here A LOT! That is such a blessing too. I was about to come apart at the seams. :) I actually was home most of the day and got some things accomplished so that is a good feeling. The hip--well over all it is better. I am not crying going to bed and the pain really only happens in the evenings & sometimes that is pretty minor. Today--well let's just say I have been on my feel WAY too long. Done w/ supper & stuff so now I can sit for a while. I really could relate to what Rom 15 says. Why do I eat those cookies, m&ms etc? I know it isn't good for me and keeps me from loosing. I am trying not to do any soda this week--so I can relate to the no sugar thing. Be strong in the Lord & you will find the way.

Made an Asian Chicken Slaw tonight. Hope the family likes it--smells awesome!

Kim
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    hi girls! today was the first official day of track break for dd2--and kinda a start to hs-ing. i made a schedule, we had lots of fun, and she earned stickers for the day for various good behaviors--like cooperating at bro's gymboree class. she even made a friend there! :)

so we are on our way....
    tomorrow i will incorporate exercise into our day since we will be home mostly--chores and such. and the cookies i baked (and ate many of) are now well hidden in the pantry. kids can have them, but i'm done--like you haven't heard me say that b4!

trish--good job on pushing thru even tho it wasn't fun.
    and kim, glad your hip has improved. would an late afternoon mini stretch session help ease the pain as evening comes? just a thought. i really don't know much abt arthritis.

and to all you gals with your period--so sorry! we all know i'm a western druggie, so my birth control pill has made it that i haven't gotten a period in idk how long...a year?? i even stopped it for 2 weeks but nothing happened.
    not complaining. and we are done adding to our family. i always wanted more, but really can't handle more than what i have.
    so ((hugs)) to you all dealing with it month after month, and still charging ahead with your wt/fitness goals.

nicole--wow, girl! that is amazing!! as far as losing wt--the only thing i can think is your calories are too low or you're eating in the wrong proportions for what you do.
    maybe chk at the fitness board--or find super smart people on this link
    --shboss (steve), synging bird?, beachbody coaches like jessmom3, sandy's another one, andrew (hangs out on black team)
    there are some very well-researched knowing ppl on here.

melissa--you are very dedicated and i love what you share. you help me see things i otherwise wdn't notice.
    and katie, you've added some impressive stats to your accomplishments too.

and with that--i bid you good night. :flowerforyou:
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I used to be on a 3 week cycle before I had kids. In a way it sucked, but it was also good because it was really light and over with in about 3 days all up Now it's 5-weekly, but lasts more like 5 days. I actually figured out that's the same number of period days in a year, but at least the 3-weekly ones were loads lighter each time. i consider my self extremely lucky I don't get any pain or discomfort around that time either way.

Nicole, I often think that as grown women we shouldn't be striving for weights from our teenage years. I mean, bodies change, I dunno about anyone else but after 2 kids in 12 months my hips aren't where they used to be and I expect they will never go back now, so *something* has to fill that space, you know? Also, my boobs are bigger.
    They say a women doesn't really finish puberty until she is in her early 20s. Although the outwards changes seem to stop well before then, other hormonal stuff still goes on. We are clearly, in our 30s, different to in our teenage years, so it stands to reason that often aiming for a particular figure that we only held before then can be unattainable.
    On top of that, since taking up cycling and running myself, my thighs are a lot bigger than they used to be, and quite muscular.
    At 16, and 60kg, I was a size 12. A year or so ago I was 70kg, and a size 12. I still have a pair of jeans that I had back 10 years ago, and they fit me the same, so its not just clothing sizes changing.
    My body has changed so much that 10kg/22lb, well I'm stashing it somewhere but I'm not sure where!

I don't know your situation, or your past, but it could be something worth mulling over.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Thanks Stacey and Sarah!:flowerforyou: If I eventually don't get to 135...ok....but i don't except the fact I am in the 160's. The 140's ok...not the 160's.

Sarah- when you fiddled with your cals and put them on maintenance, did you eat your exercise cals then?

Stacey- Sounds like you are on the right path for Home school! :flowerforyou:

Kim- Here is a thought with your hip...a natural approach...try to take notice if your hip also aches more when you have eaten certain foods. there are certain foods that cause inflammation in the body where there is an issue. Peanut butter, pork, and shellfish are culprits of that. I would avoid them if you possibly can. that might help you joint pain!:flowerforyou:

Trish- I love how you soldier through the exercise!!! YAHOO!
  • staceyw37
    Options
    gm girls! got leslie walk in--2mi! (less than i wanted but i'm takin' it!)

i also had an eye opener this am--my two little ones need a lot more CHARACTER training. how much i've let slide or haven't been able to model/coach them. as i made a more conscious effort, they are getting it. clearly something we need a lot more practice on, a lot more concentration on.
    sounds weird, but i'm glad that i realized it now--not in 10more years.

nicole--the reason i picked 130 is that's realistic for me to maintain for the long haul. when i got married at 25 i was more like 120, and even a year after dd1 i was 120 or 125 tops...but my body has changed tons since 2 and 3. #2 left me with stretch marks and #3 with spare tire. i'm not blaming them,, and i don't know how my body will re-shape at 130, but i doubt i will ever be what i was when i got married.
    and that's ok...i am a woman and a mother now, with the body that goes with it. even my skeleton would show that i have had babies!
    that's cool to me and i feel so grateful as getting pg was never easy in the first place.

just some more to think on....

better get back to my day! hugs all!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I don't know if I can get down to 135, but I'm sure as @#^# gonna try! I haven't weighed less than 150 since I was 10 years old.

Decided I rather shop than go to gym today. Got Grace a bathing suit for our trip next month, a t-shirt for me, and a travel case for the car seat. It can be a backpack or a tow behind thingy.

Was tempted to go on a binge today just to see what would happen (just for kicks, lol), but ended up coming home for lunch instead. A cheeseburger still sounds mighty good right now.
  • sassyg
    Options
    Generally not, I just aimed to net between 1200 and maintenance each day. It wasn't often I needed that many UNLESS it was a day I felt like some junk, and it wasn't often I only pulled in 1200 either.

I worked out my maintenance level on a whole bunch of different sites too, and it seemed that the amount given on here is the lowest out of all of them. It gives me 2030 to maintain, and other places had me up to 2500! In general it was more around 2200-2300.
    Also I think this site really downplays daily activity level, what most people and most calculations would consider lightly active, this one calls active (just based on what they are multiplying BMR by). They seem to be multiplying BMR by 1.2 to get sedentary maintenance, but that's more the figure for someone truley sedentary eg an invalid who has someone looking after them, doing their day-to-day activities, IMO.
  • princessleia1980
    princessleia1980 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a part time SAHM, so can I qualify to join your group? I am from a very very small village in Suffolk, England. A teacher for just a couple of days during the week so that we can afford the bills!
    I've struggled with weight since I was young, been at weightwatchers most of my life but left because of money, time and obsessions with food. This calories and exercise is subtly different but is working!
    I have 2 little girls, one is turning 3 in June and the other is turning 2 in August. We have been married 4 yrs in August.
    ANyway, thats just me! Hope you have all had a good day, or having a good day!
  • staceyw37
    Options
    welcome princess! we're always glad to have new voices join the conversation!

sarah is across the world from you in australia (right?) so we go all round the globe! :)

my little guy is turning 31/2 in June and my middle girl is turning 6 in June! oldest turns 10 in August--so looks like we have summer girls!

gotta run--welcome
  • sassyg
    Options
    new zealand, but close enough :laugh: