scared of sugar now

acasey0123
acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So MFP food plan says I should have 24g of sugar....bananas have about 12g, oatmeal has around 4g....it adds up very quickly which I was shocked of

how does people stay within their sugar amount... I can do calories fine, its sugar I cant

Replies

• SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    There are two types of sugar - natural and processed. It is the processed which is the bad one. Your body can much more easily deal with the natural sugar you find in fruit so don't panic.

I eat a lot of fruit and I took sugar off the list because it said I was always going over but I was only going over because of fruit so I don't count it.
  • cbullock115
    cbullock115 Posts: 110
    So glad I'm not the only one worried about this. I posted a topic this morning and they were telling me to watch the sugar intake so I did. I went ahead and added everything for the day and my fruits put me WAY over on sugar. I think I am going to write off the fruit sugar and just pay attention to the sugar in the other foods like yogurt.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    So if the standard sugar level here is pretty much universally agreed upon as being too low when just by eating a little bit of fruit puts you over....why don't they raise the "limit"?
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    I stopped watching my sugar intake on MFP.....because it was driving me crazy

The sugar in fruits are natural sugar which the body is capable of breaking down......its the processed sugars thats the problem

I eat 3-4 servings of fruits everyday.....so I am always over on my sugar....but its due to the fruits
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    I only look at at carbs and calories. The rest is never where it "should" be. I go way way over on protein.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Someone on this site told me to eat less fruit so that my sugar wasn't high. I always thought that as long as it is natural sugars, then I was ok. Thanks for posting this. I kept telling myself that I don't know anyone who is over weight from eating fruit! I was eating 3-4 pieces of fruit and had cut down to 1 piece. I found myself hungrier and I am now going to go back to eating my fruit!!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Thanks! That's what I thought but was making sure
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Someone on this site told me to eat less fruit so that my sugar wasn't high. I always thought that as long as it is natural sugars, then I was ok. Thanks for posting this. I kept telling myself that I don't know anyone who is over weight from eating fruit! I was eating 3-4 pieces of fruit and had cut down to 1 piece. I found myself hungrier and I am now going to go back to eating my fruit!!
    Fruit is GOOD for us:wink::flowerforyou: Lots of fiber, keeps us filled up, lots of energy from it, not to mention all the good nutrients!

Eat your fruit, guilt free and enjoy it:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
    Becca:tongue:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member

There are plenty of people that are over weight from eating a lot of fruit.

In my case, I view sugar as sugar, no matter if it is coming from veggies or fruits and I am doing my best to cut out all processed sugars.

I view fruit as a dessert, it is not something to be had everyday. When I went to see a dietician at my endocrinologists office, she told me to limit the amount of fruit I eat to 3 times a week and a serving size no larger than the size of a kiwi. Let me tell you that is not very much.

Eating too much fruit will also drive up your triglycerides.
    Case in point.............

How too much fruit can make you fat! Thought plenty of grapes or apples will keep you healthy? Think again...

By Simone Cave
    Last updated at 8:48 AM on 17th March 2010

Many of us believe that fruit can only be healthy and so make an effort to boost our intake - carrying apples in our bags, eating grapes or bananas at our desk and trying to stick to fruit salad for dessert.

But it seems some people are actually eating too much fruit, leading to health problems such as obesity, and to tooth decay.

There's no denying fruit's health benefits - it's packed with vitamins, fibre and antioxidants, which protect against disease.

Marilyn Monroe would probably have had a shock if she had eaten that fruit expecting it to be a low-calorie snack

It's considered so beneficial that the government's five-a-day guideline is a minimum recommendation for the amount of fruit and vegetables we should eat.

But while it is fine to exceed this amount if you are a healthy weight, if you are overweight or suffer from high cholesterol or diabetes, too much fruit could be trouble. It could also explain why, despite your healthy lifestyle, you're piling on the pounds.

One of the problems is people forget that fruit - like all food - contains calories. And the calories in fruit can make you just as overweight as those in chocolate, explains Dr Carel Le Roux, consultant in metabolic medicine at Imperial College London.

SO HOW SUGARY IS YOUR FAVOURITE FRUIT?

We're meant to eat five portions of fruit and vegetables a day - ideally two of fruit and three of veg. But depending on your choice, you may be consuming more fructose - or fruit sugar - than you thought.

All values are for one piece of fruit, unless specified, and the figures in brackets show the equivalent amount of sugar.

• Apricot 0.45g fructose (pinch of sugar)

• Clementine 0.5g (pinch)

• Plum 1.6g (large pinch)

• Fresh fig 2g (1/2tsp)

• Eight cherries 2.4g (1/2 tsp)

• 1 slice honeydew melon 3g (over 1/2 tsp)

• Kiwi fruit 3g (over 1/2 tsp)

• Orange 3.6g (over 1/2 tsp)

• Five strawberries 4g (1 tsp)

• Glass of orange juice 5g (1 tsp)

• Banana 5.5g (1 tsp)

• Small mango 6g (1 tsp)

• Grapefruit 7g (1 1/2 tsp)

• Handful raisins 8.7g (nearly 2tsp)

• Golden Delicious apple 11g (2tsp)

• Pear 11g (2tsp)

• Granny Smith apple 8g (11/2 tsp)

• Handful dried apple 8g (1 1/2 tsp)

• Large bunch (500g) grapes, 39g (nearly 8 tsp)

'Different people over-eat different things,' he says. 'But the people who eat fruit to excess are often weight-conscious. I've seen patients who can't understand their obesity because they eat healthily, then it turns out they are eating way too much fruit or drinking fruit smoothies all day - glugging down 300 calories in a couple of minutes.'

And it's not about lack of self-control. Fruit is packed with fructose (fruit sugar) and this doesn't make you feel full.

When we eat sugar, our body releases the hormone insulin, which tells the brain we've had enough to eat, explains dietician Ursula Arens of the British Dietetic Association.

'High insulin levels dampen the appetite, but fructose doesn't trigger this insulin response, so the brain doesn't get the message that you are full,' she says.

Essentially, when we eat fruit we bypass this internal 'stop button', which could explain why some of us can absent-mindedly nibble away at slice after slice of melon or munch through a large bunch of grapes.

More...
    Review: The luxury meals on wheels that promises to boost your brain power

Weight gain isn't the only health problem associated with too much fructose. It can increase levels of triglycerides, a type of blood fat known to be linked to heart disease.

Dr Le Roux says: 'We tell patients with high cholesterol to be careful with fruit. Too much drives up triglycerides. Diabetics should also take care, as the high fructose content can raise blood glucose levels.

Then there's the damage fruit can cause to teeth. Chewing fruit releases sugar in the mouth, where it attacks the teeth. Fruit juice or smoothies are even more of a problem, as the juicing or blending breaks down the fruit further, so more sugar is released in the mouth.

Teeth are particularly vulnerable to acidic citrus fruits, which can soften tooth enamel. Although the enamel will harden again after about 30 minutes, if you brushed your teeth immediately after drinking orange juice, you would brush away some enamel, raising the risk of dental erosion.

Dried fruit is another problem, because it's not only high in sugar but is also very sticky.

Dr Anjali Shahi, a Cheshire-based dentist, says: 'Little bits can stick to the teeth for a long time and dental cavities can result.'

She adds that raisins are as bad for the teeth as sweets. 'This is a problem for children, who are often given raisins by health-conscious mums. I've noticed a rise in dental cavities now the healthy fruit message is so strong.'

Even those who don't actually eat much fruit could be getting far more fructose than they realise - regular sugar that you add to your tea consists of 50 per cent glucose and 50 per cent fructose.

Fructose is often added to manufactured products, such as fizzy drinks, yoghurts and cereal bars in the form of glucose-fructose syrup. You can get as much as 30g of fructose from one fizzy drink.

So how much fruit is too much? Unlike salt and saturated fats, there is no recommended daily allowance for fructose. And this is unlikely to change soon.

As Ursula Arens, of the British

Dietetic Association, points out: 'Too many nutritionists would jump up and down if the public picked up the message that eating an apple wasn't good for them.'

Yet one possible guideline emerged after a recent study at Colorado University. Scientists looked at 4,500 people with no history of high blood pressure and discovered those who ate more than 74g of fructose a day increased their risk of the condition by up to 87 per cent.

Though this is the equivalent of ten apples or 30 oranges, you'd need only just over three large smoothies to top this figure (one smoothie contains around 23g of fructose).

It is worth noting, too, that bananas and some other fruits, such as strawberries, become richer in fructose as they ripen and some of the starch is converted to sugar.

The secret is to get your five a day with a mix of fruit and vegetables.

'People who are obese or have heart conditions should limit their fruit to one portion a day, along with four portions of vegetables,' says Dr Le Roux. 'You'd still have plenty of antioxidants, but you'd bring your fructose levels and calories down.'

However,most people find fruit easier to eat and it should remain a key part of a healthy diet.

As Glenys Jones, a nutritionist at the Medical Research Council of Human Nutrition, says: 'Everything in moderation. Just as you make a decision not to eat a packet of biscuits, you should think about portion control when it comes to fruit.'

She sticks to a banana and a glass of apple juice with her cereal, an orange mid-morning and an apple mid-afternoon. 'And if I get the urge to eat chocolate at night, I'll sometimes have raisins. Even so, I still limit how many raisins I eat.'

Find this story at www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1256509/Eating-fruit-make-fat.html

© Associated Newspapers Ltd
  • HealthyChanges2010

When I went to see a dietician at my endocrinologists office, she told me to limit the amount of fruit I eat to 3 times a week and a serving size no larger than the size of a kiwi.

• HealthyChanges2010
    I must say, never have I had my Nutritionist or Dietician tell me anything quite like this, even being T2. I enjoy fruit and for me it's part of a healthy diet.

Perhaps for others it's unhealthy if their health is bad.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Seriously, eat the fruit and don't worry about it. July, you give a lot of questionable nutrition advice that seems to be meant for people in extreme circumstances. If you are healthy and don't have diabetes, etc.. the fruit is FINE
  • July24Lioness
    My dietician has told me that she tells anyone that is trying to lose weight that they should limit the amount of fruit they eat, even for a healthy, yet overweight person.
  • July24Lioness
    From this website I was referred to.............

I know what I am talking about. I have done years of trial and error and research. I also had some of the best endrocrinologists and dieticians in the country counsel me on what needs to be done. I tried to do it my way at first, I rebelled against the low carb lifestyle for a while and then finally gave in and tried it out once the low fat / low calorie made me gain even more weight........

I used to live off of fruits and veggies mostly and steadily gained more and more weight.

I am not only speaking to those that have medical conditions, but those of us humans that need to lose weight can prevent a lot of health issues later by taking action now.

http://www.reducetriglycerides.com/diet_triglycerides_sugar.htm
    Fructose is incorporated into triglycerides more readily than glucose (blood sugar); therefore, it has a greater propensity to increase serum triglycerides.

Fructose, also known as fruit sugar (levulose) is a simple sugar twice as sweet as sucrose (table sugar). But because it is mainly metabolized in the liver, fructose has a lower glycemic index.

However, consumption of high amounts of fructose can lower metabolic rate and cause de-novo lipogenesis (the conversion of sugar into fat) since the liver can only metabolize limited amounts of fructose.

For this and many other reasons, and contrary to previous claims for its superiority over glucose (blood sugar), fructose does not play essential part in human nutrition.

Although naturally present in fruits, fructose is also available in the form of crystals as a table sugar substitute. It is also sold commercially as high-fructose corn syrup which can contain up to 55 percent sucrose.

However, fructose can have some toxic effects on our health, especially on cardiovascular and digestive systems, as well as on our metabolism.

Fructose, especially its excessive consumption, may increase:

the risk of abnormal blood clotting ailments and hypertension (high blood pressure)
    the risk of type 2 diabetes
    total blood cholesterol levels (it serves in part as the raw material for the synthesis of cholesterol within the body)
    LDL-“bad” cholesterol levels, and
    blood triglyceride levels, especially in diabetics (fructose has a greater propensity to increase serum triglycerides than glucose).
    Excessive consumption of fructose may also cause:

fatigue, especially in persons who are fructose intolerant
    insulin resistance, and
    obesity (due to de-novo lipogenesis - the conversion of sugar into fat).
    It is estimated that up to 33 percent of persons are unable to completely absorb fructose due to fructose intolerance (also known as dietary fructose intolerance (DFI) which may cause

flatulence (gas)
    intestinal cramps (abdominal pain)
    bloating, and
    altered bowel habits (diarrhea).
    Fructose may cause the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and may be an underlying cause of some cases of IBS due to fructose malabsorption.
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    A couple of years ago when I was on JennyCraig, they used to tell you to limit different types of high sugar fruits such as melons and berries, but there you were always told to eat at least two fruit servings a day.
    I'm pretty certain that the JennyCraig diet is nutritionist formulated isn't it?

JC did work for me, I lost 20kg over 4 months. After though, I gained half back again after because I never really learned how to shop for and cook healthy portions and types of food because everything was pretty much preprepared for me and I was too lazy to pay attention to the lessons it was trying to teach me :( It was also UBER expensive, which is why I went off it.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    A couple of years ago when I was on JennyCraig, they used to tell you to limit different types of high sugar fruits such as melons and berries, but there you were always told to eat at least two fruit servings a day.
    I'm pretty certain that the JennyCraig diet is nutritionist formulated isn't it?

JC did work for me, I lost 20kg over 4 months. After though, I gained half back again after because I never really learned how to shop for and cook healthy portions and types of food because everything was pretty much preprepared for me and I was too lazy to pay attention to the lessons it was trying to teach me :( It was also UBER expensive, which is why I went off it.
    Oh this will be a great place for you then, as it'll teach you to plan your meals and you'll learn along the way what works for you. You'll also be able to buy your own food, ahh in the grocery store:tongue: Which gives you SO many more choices of combos you can put together yourself, not knocking JennyCraig as I don't know anything about it except it's heavily advertised:laugh:

I've learned to love cooking more than I used to even, trying out new veggies, fruits, fish and that sort of thing.

Regarding fruit, there are some fruits that are higher on the GI (glycemic index) than others, bananas are higher than say berries but I mix it up and eat different types, it's been working well for me, so I have no plans to change.

I myself didn't get fat from fruit but from the bags of chocolate :blushing: and other junky crap food full of the simple carbs. I never craved grocery bags full of fruits when binging, but hey, that's just me!:wink::tongue: :laugh: We've all put on our weight in various ways.

I say whatever works for each of us, works, if fruit is an issue with one person, it may not be an issue at all with another, we're all very individual and very different digestive systems:flowerforyou:

As I shared I'm a T2 and have an A1C of 5.2 and I eat fruit, for someone else, it may not work. Since it's working for me, I'll keep at it, as many professional say many things, often times conflicting with one another, of course even websites we can find each saying something different.

Wishing you great success:drinker: :wink:
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    July, It's late and I don't want to get into a physiological argument with you, but some of the things you stated in your own argument were "extreme" cases. People with fructose intolerance(not common), people with hypertension or cholesterol problems, over consumption of fructose. I am simply stating that for a healthy individual eating the daily recommendation of 2-3 serving o f fruit a day is healthy and necessary to getting all the essential vitamins and minerals. Healthy people don't need to monitor fruit sugar as long as their entire diet doesn't consist of fruit.
  • Melora
    Melora Posts: 65 Member
    Okay, then what about milk? I posted this in nutrition but didnt get much of a response. I am always over on sugar but because of my milk intake. A glass of skim milk has 12g of sugar and I am allowed 24. Do I need to cut down on my milk or ignore the sugar?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Okay, then what about milk? I posted this in nutrition but didnt get much of a response. I am always over on sugar but because of my milk intake. A glass of skim milk has 12g of sugar and I am allowed 24. Do I need to cut down on my milk or ignore the sugar?
    Milk is fine if you enjoy milk! I drink milk, some don't for various reasons, some are lactose intolerant and prefer soy or yummy almond milk.

I think if you concentrate on not eating the crappy simple carbs that got most of us overweight in the first place or triggering a binge, you'll be just fine!:flowerforyou: :wink:

You'll see various opinions on the boards, some to the extreme, in the end you'll have to find what works best for you, it won't be long and you'll feel comfy realizing your body will tell you what works.

I was so lost and confused when I first joined (2007 originally) and thought everyone that posted a thought was something I should be doing, but that only makes you crazy because there are a ton of ppl on here and many many thoughts on various ways of eating. That's a good thing, variety in ideas can be freeing (but confusing in the begining).

Relax, enjoy the ride, trust your heart:heart: and gather some friends you feel can help in your journey and above all have fun and be proud of your accomplishments Melora:flowerforyou: :heart: :happy:

Me personally? I don't have the sugar even on my diary as of course we would almost all go over since it counts ALL sugar, natural and also simple carb etc. I have protein, fats, cals, carbs and I think sodium (just for fun, I don't usually go over that but I like to see how much is in some food, yea I know it's the little things that amuse me:laugh: :tongue: :blushing: )

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    July, It's late and I don't want to get into a physiological argument with you, but some of the things you stated in your own argument were "extreme" cases. People with fructose intolerance(not common), people with hypertension or cholesterol problems, over consumption of fructose. I am simply stating that for a healthy individual eating the daily recommendation of 2-3 serving o f fruit a day is healthy and necessary to getting all the essential vitamins and minerals. Healthy people don't need to monitor fruit sugar as long as their entire diet doesn't consist of fruit.

I am not saying that we shouldn't eat fruit, but it should be limited.

The article stated that excessive consumption of fructose (the sugar found in fruit) causes hypertension and cholesterol problems, not people that already have it.

The mainstay of a person's diet should be vegetables and fruit should be used as treats or dessert. Most people eat fruit in place of vegetables and that is not healthy.

That is all I am saying.

You are free to think what you want and I am free to think what I want.

That means I can still share my information with anyone on this board as freely as you can.
This discussion has been closed.