want to run - can't figure it out!

Options
Ok this might sounds really stupid, but I really want to be a runner, but I can't seem to run!

I am 214 pounds, 5'3" and out of shape. BUT I have been walking almost every night for several weeks and I now easliy walk 2 miles in just less than 30 minutes - at a pace of 4.0...but the minute I try to turn it into a jog I am out of breath and dying.

I don't know how or when to start running, but the breathing thing kills me. I can't do the C25K - if I run for 1 minute, it take forever to recover - not just a minut and a half walk in between.

Any thoughts? do I need to wait to lose more weight to be able to run? Keep waling and increase my pace even more?

thanks!!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Slow down your run. Make it almost a shuffle. It may even be at a slower pace than a fast walk.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Neat thing about running is that you can do it at a variable speed. Find one you can do for a longer period of time.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Pay close attention to your breathing, make sure you are taking deep breaths from the stomach not shallow breaths from your chest. From what I have read, and what works for me, is I breathe in for two steps out for two steps.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Slow down your run. Do Couch to 5K at our own pace. need more recovery time? Add it. Make your own Weeks 1-4, building gradually, then try C25K's actual week 1 and see how it feels.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Slow down your run. Make it almost a shuffle. It may even be at a slower pace than a fast walk.

THIS!

If you can, use a treadmill and jog at 4.5 for a bit. You can do this but pace has everything to do with it.
  • laurenmoe
    laurenmoe Posts: 13
    Options
    In the beginning you should really be running not much faster than you are walking. Don't get hung up on speed. As long as both of your feet are off the ground at the same time you are running.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    This was totally me last summer! I wanted to run and just COULD NOT do it. So I did exactly what you've been doing, I started walking, and as the summer drew on I could walk farther and farther, until I could walk 10 miles in a day!!!!! Then, when I was walking I would just add little spurts of jogging in with it. At first it was only a couple feet, for maybe 10 seconds, but eventually I got to where I could jog all the down hills....and eventually I could jog all the down hills and the flat parts.....and by the end of the summer I could jog my whole 5 mile course. It took weeks upon weeks upon weeks to get to this point, with very very slow progress along the way - the thing is to just keep working at it. If you can't run for a minute, run for 10 seconds, in a week or so maybe you'll be at 30 seconds, and in another week you could run that hole entire minute! Just stick with it!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you should really be running not much faster than you are walking. Don't get hung up on speed. As long as both of your feet are off the ground at the same time you are running.[/img]

Huh? Wouldn't that be jumping?
  • efuehrer
    efuehrer Posts: 3
    Options
    How do you breathe when you do try to run? Do you just gasp and breathe fast. I used to have that problem. One thing you might want to do is try to control your breathing while running. Do the minute run minute and a half walk, but when you run try to take long slow breaths in and long slow breaths out, continue breathing this way while you walk. This will keep the breathe in your lungs longer and get more oxygen from each breathe. Use your mind to concentrate on and control your beathing, this will also help you when running to take your mind off the fact that you are running. I started by using a count in my head, slow 4 count when breathing in and slow 4 count while breathing out.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Slow down your run. Do Couch to 5K at our own pace. need more recovery time? Add it. Make your own Weeks 1-4, building gradually, then try C25K's actual week 1 and see how it feels.

YES! Do what you can and work at your own pace. I'm 151 pounds and have difficulty with C25K as well. I DON'T want to be a runner but I heard doing the intervals is the faster way to burn fat. I just run till I can't anymore (not very long AT ALL) and walk till I feel comfortable enough to do it again. I don't time myself.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you should really be running not much faster than you are walking. Don't get hung up on speed. As long as both of your feet are off the ground at the same time you are running.[/img]

No, that's the definition of running.

But if you want to hop for 5 miles - I'll count it. :flowerforyou:
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've tried C25k before and it was way too hard for me right out of the gate, so I started looking for something to bridge the gap between my poor fitness level and Week 1 of C25k. Read this guy's book. It's a quick read - about an hour. It's got a pre-running training plan in it and a c25k program in it. It's VERY doable - and if I can do it, you can too. It goes over proper shoes, attire, gear, running form, briefly touches on mentality of training. I went from barely running 30 seconds (I thought I was going to die) to almost 30 minutes (and feeling GREAT) in about 6 weeks. His program moves a little slower than that, but it's easily tweakable to your own fitness level.

Run: A Complete Beginners Guide (Learn How To Start Running)
    Michael Thomas
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do c25k at first, so I just did my own intervals for a few weeks to work up to it, I think I started with 15 seconds of jogging and a minute or 2 of recovery, then I went to 20 seconds of jogging intervals the next week and so on for awhile. I am doing c25k now at last but I am doing it really slowly and repeating just about every week, what can I say, I'm a slow learner!! Hah
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Do this. But also realize there there are lots and lots and lots of "couch to 5k" programs out there. When I started, I also needed way more than 90 seconds to recover. I found a c25k that worked in 6 minute "chunks"-so week 1, you ran 30 seconds, then walked for 5:30. Week 2, run for 1 minute, walk for 5. Week 3, run for 2 minutes, walk for 4. You get the idea. There's more than one way to skin a cat. You don't even have to follow a "plan"-run when you can, walk when you need to, run when you can, walk when you need to. Rinse and repeat. Keep plugging away and you'll get there. And slow down...no, slower than that...no, really, slower than that.
  • kjericks6401
    kjericks6401 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to lose more weight to start as long as you are pay attention to how you are moving so that you don't injure yourself. I'm about 5' 9" and weighed just under 300 lbs when I started jogging about 2 months ago. When I began I could hardly shuffle along for 20 seconds at a time...now I can run a mile and a half with only 4-5 short walking breaks of 30-40 seconds. I'm not going to be running a marathon any time soon, but it does get easier and very shortly I will be able to run a mile without stopping!I try to alternate jogging about 1.5-2 miles one day with walking 2-4 miles the next to give different muscles a chance to work. I've also noticed I get winded much faster jogging than walking and it helps to focus on slow, deep breaths while jogging.

I started following the Mayo Clinic's online C2K plan (it is easier than some, only asking you to run for 15 seconds at a time to start) but sort of drifted off it when I was able to run more than a minute at a time because it was a pain to try and time myself. Just be patient, start slowly, and get the rhythm of running before you start pushing too hard, If you are jogging slower than you walk, so what? Get the technique down first so you don't hurt yourself and get your lungs used to it then you can work on speed and distance.

Good luck and don't give up!

at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/5k-run/SM00061
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started running this year, and I had never, EVER been able to run more than 200m tops. I started training in my elliptical, to gain resistance and I progressively increased from a steady 12km/h speed to a 15 or 16km/h speed. I did that 4, 5 times a week, in 30-60 minutes sessions. I would change my intensity and speed as well.

After two months, I started running... at first I could run just for 5 minutes and then I would walk, and then run again. The beginner 5K training plan in runkeeper helped a lot! I don't know if you can see the plan if you're not signed up, but here's the link anyway: http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-5k/8?calendarType=MONTHLY&menuSelection=SCHEDULE

That helped me train for my first 10K in March, and even though I wasn't very fast, I was able to finish it at a steady pace. Not once during the race or during my training sessions did I feel like I was going to die. If I felt I was pushing my heart too much, I'd walk for a bit or slow down.

Tomorrow I start training for my first 21K, it'll be at the end of August, and I'll be following another training plan in Runkeeper.

Add me if you want, I'd like more runner friends here :)
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options

Lol! :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Join us over on the C25k board: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

Like everybody says: slow down. If you feel like you're going slow, go even slower.

I'll also add - nobody says you have to go straight from jogging to walking the recovery. Pause the app and stretch if that's what you need to recover.
  • fitznewme2013
    Options
    I was the same way! could walk all day but when it came to running i wanted to die. i started the c25k and at first was hard now i am on week 3 and by mistake started week 1 the other day and knew something was wrong cuz i still wanted to run when it was telling me to walk. just give it time and go slow. good luck! you can add me as a friend if you would like!
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What everybody else said - Couch to 5K (any version, and there are a few out there) is the key. That's what got me going and I haven't looked back!
    If it's too hard, you're going too fast.
    You can't go too slow at first.
    If you have a hard time with a week, just repeat it.
    The key is that this is a GRADUAL process. It will take time for your heart, lung, muscles, ligaments, and bones to get acclimated.
    Best of luck to you!