want to run - can't figure it out!

Options

Replies

• warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I started doing 'intervals' in my walking - I am still working on it! I started walking the whole distance; then I would add in periods of jogging for the space between telephone poles. before I knew it, I was walking one pole length; walking the next etc etc. Now I can jog pretty well the whole distance I started with. (Only 1.5kms, but it is a start!) Once I can jog the entire distance (I only need three phone-pole length walk breaks now!... hoping to cut them out tonight), I plan on making my route longer, one phone-pole length at a time :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Ok this might sounds really stupid, but I really want to be a runner, but I can't seem to run!

I am 214 pounds, 5'3" and out of shape. BUT I have been walking almost every night for several weeks and I now easliy walk 2 miles in just less than 30 minutes - at a pace of 4.0...but the minute I try to turn it into a jog I am out of breath and dying.

I don't know how or when to start running, but the breathing thing kills me. I can't do the C25K - if I run for 1 minute, it take forever to recover - not just a minut and a half walk in between.

Any thoughts? do I need to wait to lose more weight to be able to run? Keep waling and increase my pace even more?

thanks!!

slow down and don't worry about it. your pace is YOUR pace and every single person is different.

when i started running the c25k programs were not around or well maybe i just didn't know about them, doesn't matter. i started on a treadmill and was lucky if i could run at 4.0 for 30 seconds. seriously no exaggeration there. i was SO JEALOUS of everyone running on the treadmill and i couldn't but i kept at it. 30 seconds every 5 minutes, then 30 seconds ever 3 minutes, then 1 minute ever 5 minutes (intervals are great) i kept at this for days/months until i was able to run 10 minutes straight at 4.5. fast forward and i'm getting ready to run my first half.

have patience and it will happen.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It took me at least 5 months of walking 5 minutes, running 2 minutes over and over until I could change the ratio to 5 minutes walking 5 minutes running/jogging. It's a slow process, take pride in the small changes. :)
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    This was totally me last summer! I wanted to run and just COULD NOT do it. So I did exactly what you've been doing, I started walking, and as the summer drew on I could walk farther and farther, until I could walk 10 miles in a day!!!!! Then, when I was walking I would just add little spurts of jogging in with it. At first it was only a couple feet, for maybe 10 seconds, but eventually I got to where I could jog all the down hills....and eventually I could jog all the down hills and the flat parts.....and by the end of the summer I could jog my whole 5 mile course. It took weeks upon weeks upon weeks to get to this point, with very very slow progress along the way - the thing is to just keep working at it. If you can't run for a minute, run for 10 seconds, in a week or so maybe you'll be at 30 seconds, and in another week you could run that hole entire minute! Just stick with it!

That was me too :-) I walked for months before I even attempted to run. When I eventually started C25K, I was able to jump to week 3 since I was in much better shape from all the walking the 50lb weight loss.

Even when I was thinner, I never in my dreams thought I would be running 15-20 miles a week but here I am...and I'm still overweight. I also highly recommend weight training and cross training if you're also trying to lose weight, or if you'd like to get serious about running. The weight training I did before I started running really helped me progress quickly with C25K since I already had some strength in my legs.

Best of luck and have fun. I love running now and I hope you find the same joy in running.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    First, I build up my walking to 1-hour, five days a week. No need to go fast. :-)
    Did that two weeks
    Then I started my transition to wogging (walking-jogging), from walking by taking 3 jog-steps every 1-minute.
    I used a www.Gymboss.com It's a double-timer
    Yes, 3 jog-steps, left-right-left then walk again for the remainder of the 1-minute
    The week after that I tried 5-jog-steps in a row then walked the remainder of the 1-minute
    The week following that I did 7-jog-steps then walked the remainder of the minute.
    Then 9
    Then 11
    Then 13
    and so on and so forth, never getting ahead of myself.
    After about 15 jog-steps you can use the Gymboss by Time make :15/:45
    Week after that, set the timer to :20/:40
    Week after that :25/:45
    And so on and so forth
    When you get to :30 seconds/:30 seconds, start increasing both timers by 5 seconds per week until you get to 1-minute on the walk said and then leave it at the walk 1-minute.
    Over many months, increase the jogging timer.
    When you get to 4 mins jog, 1 mins walk, decrease the walking-timer by 10 seconds per week.

This is of course a very incremental but rather quit-proof way to get into Running.

Have you seen Galloway's "Conditioning" program?
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html
    There are also 5K, 10K and on up training plans.

I walk slowly 15 minutes for my warmup
    and then do my "workout"
    I walk slowly 15 minutes for my cooldown.

So if you are doing 30 minutes, that would be my warmup and cooldown with Zero minutes in the middle as the workout.
    I would start with that, and add 5 minutes per week into the middle minutes of "workout" using the incremental buildup of jogging steps. For a couple few months it will be a lot of walking in the "middle workout" but over time 3, 4, 5 months you will make a LOT of progress.

Good for you, you're doing great!

IN general, how to start running, is go way to slow at first, and don't overdo it.
  • watsdd
    watsdd Posts: 21
    Options
    I started after a major knee surgery and very much overweight. The key in my opinion to running is mental. If you think you can do it then you most definately can. What I found that worked for me was to designate a time amount I wanted to do and ran/walked during for that amount. Each time I would try to run more until I could do the whole time. Dont worry about speed or what you look like- just enjoy the fact that you can do more than before. After a while your body hurts differently not less neccessarily and you realize the mental part kept you going. I have done 4 halfs and a full marathon after stating at a point where I couldnt do 1 minute. You can do- just don't let yourself think you can't.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I found two things that made a big difference for me.

Firstly, finding a pace slow enough (and I mean REALLY slow) to jog at that I could maintain (do you have a HRM - those help too). That actually took a while as it felt a bit awkward "running" barely faster than I could walk - but its worth it.

Second was trying to run flat out for short distances - with walks to rest in between. Knowing you can stop whenever you want gives more confidence to push in the runs, And you'll find that the more you do this, the easier your other steady jogs will become

I still have a very long way to become a proper runner - but these have definitely helped me get started
  • schnoomom
    schnoomom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Aim to increase your walking distance and pace. You can do small bits throughout the day but work to getting 10k a day. When you can do this at about 3.5 miles per hour, then try C25K again. You'll have built up some endurance which will help. And also, do as others recommend...slow your jog pace.

Walking is a tremendous fitness activity. Don't underestimate it's value. The more you walk, the longer you can walk and the faster. When you move to C25K, you might be surprised that week 1 is easier than you expect. I was and now I'm on week 4. I credit all the walking I was doing since November for preparing me.

Good luck!
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    When I started C25K, I couldn't do the Week 1 intervals. I spent 3 weeks building to the point that I could sort of make it through week 1 before I officially started. The best thing I learned from this forum was to slow down. I still run slower than I can walk, but I can run for 20+ minutes now without stopping. I'm working back through C25K again trying to pick up a bit of speed. Each week, I'd look at what was on the schedule and I'd think there is no way I can do that, but sure enough, I managed to get through it.

You can get there. Just listen to your body and go at your pace. It's not uncommon to repeat a week or two. As long as you're making progress, you're doing great.
  • NotMika
    NotMika Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I may be the only person in the world who feels this way, but personally, I think you should run as fast as you want and then walk when you get tired.

I never thought I liked running because I found my consistent pace, a slow jog, really boring. Then one day I just decided to stop trying to run the whole time and focus on getting out there and working up a sweat. I love sprinting, I love intervals, I love finding a car or a telephone pole in the distance and racing myself there and or running with the ups and downs of my music and walking when I've exhausted myself. Sure, it doesn't look great all the time, but I burn crazy calories, and most importantly, I HAVE FUN. In the years I've spent working out, the only thing I really know for sure is that the best workout is the one you DO. So do what feels best and don't worry about it.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I wrote this a while back and it really seemed to have helped a bunch of my friends. It is what works for me...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MireyGal76/view/running-my-bs-and-cs-to-breaking-through-the-wall-357514
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i didn't use to run. i rode my bike a lot, which helped build my cardiovascular endurance. it might help you out with your running if you start cycling.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Honestly, running/jogging is brutal when you first start. EVERYONE who runs started feeling like they were going to die within a minute that first time. I have been jogging, and I mean super slow, like almost walking, but jogging instead, for a few weeks and it still gets me. I still feel like I'm going to die and can't breath by the time I'm done. The first time I jogged a mile, I threw up at 3/4 through (I run outside, so it wasn't really a problem, but it sure felt rough). It's super hard, but SO good for you. It gets easier with time. You just have to force yourself to do it for the first month or so.
  • serf3469
    serf3469 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just go at your pace, what you feel is right, each person is different, anyways trying is more than 90% of the other people do, it will one day come to you and you can then go faster or further.

Good luck
    Brian
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I am 210 lbs and can run 5K. So this is how, when you run try and focus on your breathing in the nose out the mouth a slow steady breathing routine. You will know you are jogging to fast if you can't keep up your breathing. Slow down at this point. Try not to focus so much on that you are jogging be close your eyes every so often and think about your breathing in the nose out the mouth and do this at a slower pace than what you are jogging. I didn't know this but apparently if you ride a stationary bike at high resistance for a while when you go to run it will be cake. True story. I hadn't jogged for a month because of my knees thus the stationary. When I went to run wow I could actually complete the whole 5k. Once step at a time. Make sure shoes are comfy, make sure you are not sprinting, but most of all make sure your breathing is in check. that will make the world of difference. Good Luck!
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too and for me anyway a lot of it is in my head ....I am still not a runner but still trying !!!!!
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    yes, watch your breathing and dont launch at the start line, just start at a shuffle-like trot, and try to do that while paying attention to your breathing and get yourself to complete a half mile without stopping. it's all about small achievable goals and small victories and then you just build, and be patient with yourself. and make sure you're hydrating, little sips during and hydrate before and after. remember, small achievable goals lead to achievable victories and then you just build from there. half a mile, mile, mile and half. brisk walk. last year i couldnt run half a mile without sharp pains shooting at my left knee, and this was very discouraging. but I invested in properly stretching, strengthening my core and my quads and hamstrings and consulting with a chiropractor for a short while, and befor ei knew i was running 10K races every weekend three months later and running at least a 5K four times a week. With my bum knee and my scoliosis I was able to do it, I know you can as well :)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't like to run.

It is like all the exercise challenges i've seen. They add 5 reps a day each day for a month. You try to walk faster every couple of days.... If you have 4mph down, try for 4.5 tomorrow. When you get that down, go up to 5 for a couple of days. etc...
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty encouraging to see all of these people who "aren't runners." Since I've always thought of myself as a non-runner too.

I've just started c25k and it's been a mixed bag. But I'm going to keep going.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like you need to slow down. I used to be the same and would be exhausted after 2-3 minutes and not understand why. Now, I start out pretty slow and get myself to a steady pace and I can run for 20-25 minutes before I feel like I am going to die, haha.
    You should also make sure you keep your arms below your heart, it sounds strange but if you have your arms raised too high your heart is working harder as it's working on keeping them raised too, you want to keep them below your chest.
    Start out slow and remember it's more important to pace yourself and keep it steady than to be the fastest runner.