What "tricks" have you found for cutting calories?

Options

Replies

• Medic911ETH
    Medic911ETH Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I am measuring out portions, I will measure it out to a bit less than the serving size called for, but I will log it as a full serving. The slight difference in size isn't really registered by my brain when I am eating it, but I am actually shaving calories consumed. When I do not pre-measure, however, I have a tendency to go overboard.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I bulk meals up with loads of veg, especially mushrooms. That way I get huge portions but for far fewer calories.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I was out of sour cream on baked potato night. I grabbed the cottage cheese and I haven't looked back. Tastes soooo good!!! At least I am getting something a little more with the cottage cheese.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    none .. stay under your caleries and exercise
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    PORTION control
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use motz cheese instead of cheddar, I cant believe its not butter instead of tub or stick butter & MIO water flavoring instead of juice/soda - Doesn't seem like much but it adds up.. Oh & I use a lot of ground chicken & pork instead of hamburger :)
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    salsa on baked potatoe instead of drenche din butter and sour cream
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I haven't had mayo on a sandwich in a long time (except the occasional tuna salad, but very rarely). Mustard, yum! and unless you have a ton, no significant calories. Speaking of tuna, I rarely have tuna salad. Instead, I will eat salmon (it comes in the same size can). Tastes better than tuna, and I drain the water off then eat it straight out of the can.

I eat real cheese, not the processed slices. Grate the cheese, it seems to go farther (just measure/weight it!!!). Also, stronger flavor cheeses like sharp cheddar will give flavor with less, so fewer calories.

Instead of chips and dip, try veggies with salsa. Same satisfying crunch, plenty of flavor, much lower calories.

Cook in a small amount of olive oil, and use plenty of spices -- onion & garlic are great. Again, more flavor without added salt (okay, salt isn't calories, but still…)

And I don't deny myself the treats. Small portions of ice cream, chocolate, or cookies, can help prevent a binge. And eat from a small dish with a small spoon (or taking small bites of chocolate etc, and let it dissolve in your mouth). Really, taking your time with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of ice cream can be every bit as satisfying as scarfing down a pint of B&J
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Portion size - Big on veggies and fruits, small on processed food.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Also, mustard has fewer carbs and calories than lots of other condiments, so I tend to go heavy on it.

Ezekiel bread (as long as it's toasted, it's kinda gross unless you toast) is now the only bread we keep in the house.

And veggies...lots of veggies...with every meal. I'm a carnivore at heart, but I'm learning. Even for breakfast I load my omelets (another great low-calorie option) with veggies.

We have one of those fancy flavored oil and vinegar stores nearby. So I tend to use a tasty flavored balsamic, like tuscan herb or blackberry instead of salad dressing. I also use it to add a touch of flavor to steamed veggies sometimes.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Cucumber slices instead of crackers is a great idea!
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Olives too, for those who like them. I'm always astonished that I can eat five or ten mixed olives without very many calories, and with no carbs. For me, they're a great snack.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    eat real food......don't eat crap
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Olives too, for those who like them. I'm always astonished that I can eat five or ten mixed olives without very many calories, and with no carbs. For me, they're a great snack.

olives are fantastic!

I gorge on veggie sticks when I'm hungry. can't go wrong with stick foods.
  • Saraisdifferent
    Options
    - Drink a big glass of water before meals, and keep drinking during the meal.

- Replace dressings with mustard.

- If I'm having a heavy or "fatty" meal, eat some salad before the main dish, so as to be less hungry.

- Tofu! It's very filling and has loads of protein, like meat, but it has three times less calories and no cholesterol, and it can even lower the bad one, LDL. I let it soak in a little soy sauce or just some herbs, and bake or grill it - no need for oil or butter or anything.

- I always carry around a couple of plain, non-fat, non-sugar, hyperproteinated biscuits (70 cals total for both). This way, if I pass in front of a snack or bar and get hungry, I know I have a healthier option in my bag - and if I feel like don't want to eat the biscuits, then I know I'm not really hungry and it's easier to stay away from the snack!

- Drink loads of tea, or rooibos if you can't have caffeine, instead of snacking. It calms my appetite in between meals, plus it keeps me hydrated.
  • Saraisdifferent
    Options
    Oh, and spicy food! I always feel full faster when eating spicy food, so know I add some chili or sriracha or something spicy whenever I can.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    For me, because I go to work so early, it was making sure I got breakfast with enough fat and protein to stay full until "lunch" at 8am (5 hours) - I started making smoothies with avocado (and other fruits and veggies) and coconut milk to take to work. It keeps me from "munching" on the chocolate that I make all day so my calories stay down.

Also, I eat whole foods 90% of the time.

My go to dressing is simple and low cal: medium salsa blended with the zest and juice of one lemon until smooth. Tangy, spicy and loaded with flavor :D

Also, pre planning and pre packing my lunches the night before so I am not just aimlessly grabbing crap in a hurry.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Eat Less, Move More

Put fork down between bites and intentionally chew each bite.

Fruits and veggies, a whole cup of strawberry's or broccoli is 50 calories.

Don't drink your calories, eliminate pop.

Log every thing that goes into your mouth, weighing is far more accurate for most foods than measuring. But you have to weigh or measure everything (at least till you get portions under control).
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    99/1 ground turkey has to be one of mine. Makes awesome taco meat, and I have just made turkey burgers with cranberry salsa (half good-quality salsa, half whole berry cranberry sauce) which were also great. Turkey chili is a staple in our house, with plenty of diced peppers. Turkey italian sausage, peppers, onions, marinara sauce and lf mozzarella will satisfy my pasta cravings. I didn't realize how many more calories were in red meat until I started logging.

My fiancee went from a pint of Ben and Jerrys a night to a pint of Ben and Jerry's frozen greek yogurt. Yeah, he's a firefighter and a great athlete, and not many people trying to lose weight would consider that a "cut" -- but it is for him and has done the trick. It just goes to show that there is almost always a better choice for anything, if you look.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Cutting portions makes me cry. So I make them bigger instead. A whole lot bigger. To my stir fry I added a bunch of collard greens, it's about 50 calories and makes the meal way bigger. So much so that it's not easy eating it all. I take that approach with as many meals as I can adding more chopped veggies to my meals, eating salads, or adding tofu instead of a more carby option. When I do this my meals look huge, my stomach is satisfied or I feel really full on a fraction of the calories I used to consume (between 3,000 and 4000) and many times when the next meal time comes around I am not hungry at all (I still have to keep my schedule for the most part though). It's a win win I get the nutrients of the foods that fill my plate and the added bonus of more fiber and fewer calories.

PS When I have a treat like ice cream I load that too. A carton of strawberries with a little ice cream makes me feel like I am pulling a major cheat, but it's about 200 calories as opposed to the 1200 calorie Dairy Queen I would often indulge in last year.