What "tricks" have you found for cutting calories?

Options

Replies

• marisac30
    marisac30 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just eat less
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Suffer through vegetables. =(
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Many times we think we are hungry we are thirsty. Drink water.
  • jenniferitzep
    jenniferitzep Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    One way i got my husband to eat less was put food on a smaller plate and the small plate on a large plate i put his fok or spoon on the large plate so he was using it because without the large plate under the small one he would go back for more and eat more then the large plate serving .
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth so instead of cream based desserts I'll eat frozen fruits, instead of full fat cream in coffee or tea I'll have coconut creamer.
  • ainjii
    ainjii Posts: 3
    Options
    Pre logging is useful for me. Say, I want a doughnut, I open the MFP app on my phone and log that doughnut. Most of the time, when I do that, I'll see what it does to my macros and calories for the day and this information gives me the strength to skip the junk food treat I'm contemplating.

This absolutely helps. I do this with everything I want to eat, not just junk foods. If you see that it's early in the afternoon, this can help you from eating up the rest of your calories in a day.
    Lastly, I put off eating my next meal with exercise.

I totally do this too. It also help if the activity is something mentally engaging, so that you aren't even thinking/dreaming about eating while you're exercising. For example, I might play drums or a physical video game like DDR.
  • dianatogo
    dianatogo Posts: 37
    Options
    Here are a couple of things I do:

1) eat breakfast every day - usually oatmeal - then don't snack or eat again until lunch
    2) snack on sugar-free pickles or deli turkey. Pickles are like zero calories and turkey is pretty low too
    3) replace lasagne noodles with thin sliced zucchini (spelling???) I can't tell the difference from pasta.
    4)eat cucumbers marinated in vinegar. Vinegar is a natural appetite suppressant
  • xSTx
    xSTx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm sure alot of what I do has already been mentioned but....

- Cheese strings, always portioned and easy to log
    -Replaced pasta with cabbage or spaghetti squash
    -Load up on veggies with every meal
    - Mio and other non calorie flavoring to add to water
    -Mustard over ketchup or mayo
    -cucumbers instead of crackers with hummus or tuna

Also to lower my sodium intake I'll make my own salsa,buy 50% less salt pickles, no salt added tuna,beans and chicken broth and I'll make my own tomato sauce loaded with veggies using no salt added diced tomatoes ( huge sodium saver and lower in calories)

Portion control !!! I weigh and measure everything, Pre-logging is awesome and helps me budget my day better so I'm never left feeling hungry
  • jmer41
    jmer41 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    - Prelogging & looking up restaurant nutrition info if I know I'm going to be eating out
    - If you're a salad person, turn your favorite meals into salads: taco salad with toppings, cheeseburger salad made with a lean
    ground turkey patty, grilled chicken/salmon with Frank's buffalo sauce, etc.
    - Replace pasta with quinoa: tonight I had cubed zucchini & eggplant with a tomato basil sauce over quinoa - tastes just as good!
    - Use eggplant slices/zucchini in place of lasagna noodles, and cottage cheese instead of ricotta
    - Replace ground beef with lean ground turkey
    - I like turning leftovers into chili: black bean & sweet potato, lentil chili, turkey chili with veggies, etc.
    - Water enhancers instead of soda
    - Drink tea when I start feeling hungry
    - Light popcorn when I get insane chip cravings
    - When I want a handful of m&ms or something, I take just a handful, then close the bag, put it in the cupboard, and close the
    cupboard - I've found if I can see it, I'm gonna eat it!
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Silk unsweetened pure almond milk. It's 35 calories per cup instead of 130.
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

4. Good support system. Do NOT be around life sucking people.
    [/quote]

I like this. When people are nothing but negative around me it also puts me in a foul mood
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Love this thread
  • meaningful99
    meaningful99 Posts: 174
    Options
    Almond milk.
    Baby Bel Light cheese snacks.
    Start every meal with fiber (like an apple or salad), then eat the rest.
    Snack on air-popped popcorn with a small amount of real butter.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I can't have gluten, so I never get buns on my burgers (I didn't even before I went gluten free, you can taste the meat better without!), salsa on everything (even salad!), and whole milk instead of a lot of half and half in my coffee.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Some of these have been mentioned , I'm sure... but here goes:

1) Shiritaki noodles in stirfrys. Almost ZERO calories!!
    2) Flatouts instead of tortillas (same size, taste great, and only 90 cals ea instead of 200!)
    3) Flatouts to make a flatbread veggie pizza, instead of regular crust.
    4) Non fat plain greek yogurt instead of mayo, sourcream, etc.
    5) same ^^ but to use as a dip base. Add garlic, lemon juice, herbs - greaat for dipping veggies. Add taco seasoning /hot sauce, use to dip tortilla chips. Garlic, cucumber, etc... a nice tzatziki
    6) almond milk instead of dairy
    7) PB2 instead of peanut butter (great in my chocolate protein shakes)

I'm sure there's more... they've become 'regulars' in our house.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    Shirataki noodles instead of pasta. It satisfies my pasta cravings for a lot less calories and carbs.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I haven't really cut much out...actually what's helping is adding things, namely veggies. For instance, once a month or so we have sausage and pepper grinder for dinner. They are my favorite, so spicy and yummy! Instead of having 3-4 sausages at 290(!) calories each and putting each one on a 140 calorie roll topped with about 100 calories worth of oil-drenched peppers, making it a 1,820 calorie meal (which is more than what I eat IN A WHOLE DAY, now!) I cut up 1 and a half sausages, no bun, and add a small baked sweet potato and/or steamed broccoli for a whopping 685 calories. For lunch, instead of a nearly 500 calorie ham sandwich that doesn't fill me up, I'll have a mini stone ground wheat pita, cut in half, and each side stuffed with veggies and one piece of lean ham each for about 300 calories, and I'm stuffed.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Probably not going to happen. If its pizza night its going to be running across the street to little caesars and I'll just budget it in.

Little Caesars?

My condolences.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The most important, life changing one for me is looking up restaurant calorie counts. You can't rely on a restaurant to make great choices for you. I have a go-to meal at most chain restaurants around here for last-minute stops. If you can cut out restaurants and fast food, good on you, but unfortunately my husband's family's social gatherings revolve around food.

I plan on making a little cheat sheet in the future with calories and carbs of some acceptable meals at restaurants that I can keep in my purse. A couple of times I've mixed up my numbers and I was shocked at what I had consumed.
  • mel3491
    mel3491 Posts: 31
    Options
    Great question- we all have little tricks and it's been fun to read through (most) of them. Here are my couple of cents worth:
    * I use egg beaters instead of eggs on non-work out days
    * I found Fred Meyer carries a 'carb master' yogurt which took a little getting used to but is worth it in the sugar and carbs
    * turkey bacon instead of 'real' bacon or sausage
    *chicken more than beef pork or turkey
    *read and compare your labels- it's eye opening!!
    Good luck to us all- thanks for the tips everyone!