Planking

Options
ms_jen21
ms_jen21 Posts: 61 Member
Does anyone Plank?
How long do you do it for, what are your personal sets/reps?
How do you log it on MFP?

Replies

• tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I do not log it here, on MFP. I can plank for a min or longer now, but at first, just 10 seconds or so. I usually just do a few mins/day.
  • ms_jen21
    ms_jen21 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do not log it here, on MFP. I can plank for a min or longer now, but at first, just 10 seconds or so. I usually just do a few mins/day.

Oh Okay! :) Yeah.. it looks to be hard work.. I havent tried it yet.. but I seen a 30-Day challenge for it.. and was curious on if I'd be able to do it~ lol
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I plank for about 60 seconds right now, since I just started back at it about a month ago. I keep to 2-3 during my weight training sessions. I don't really count them in my calorie burn.
  • pandorac27
    pandorac27 Posts: 1
    Options
    Planking is not my favorite part of my weekly workout session with the trainer, but I can do about 30 - 40 seconds at a time. I started out at about 15 seconds, so there's improvement :) I know I can really feel it in my stomach, and I need a lot of help in that area, so I'll grumble, but I'll plank!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I hate planks. When I started doing them I could only hold it for about 20 seconds. Now I can get three sets of 90 seconds, but I still hate them. ☺
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I do planks daily. I do 2-3 & 2 minutes each. My goal is to eventually be able to do 1 for 5 mins.
  • margoanton
    margoanton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love planking. I can't do it for long, but I feel like a strong goddess all the while.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I do three sets of 30 seconds each before I'm *done*. I've had a LOT of abdominal surgeries with many organs removed and/or repaired, so I'm feeling pretty darned good about being able to do that much! :)
  • alicecee92
    alicecee92 Posts: 16
    Options
    I think I'm doing them wrong, I just tried for the first time and it was too easy, and I'm not particularly fit at all.. :ohwell: Any tips for the RIGHT way to plank?? :blushing:
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love planking. I can't do it for long, but I feel like a strong goddess all the while.

i like this post. lol
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I do the "plank" on the bosu ball.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Love planks. Side planks really help your obliques. There are also modified planks you can do on your knees until you get strong enough (as long as you don't have any knee issues-but keep in mind it can be hard on your knees, so please be careful).
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Used to hate them. Don't bother with them anymore, way too easy. At about 45 seconds there ceases to be any useful adatations outside of the ability to plank longer, which isn't really all that useful unless you're into planking contests or something of the sort.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I plank daily worked up to 3 sets of 40 seconds each, when I started I could do 10 seconds. I just write them in the notes section.
  • ClaudBell
    ClaudBell Posts: 2
    Options
    You need to keep your butt down and engage your abs. You can plank from your forearms/elbow or by placing your hands under your shoulders.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If it's really easy and you're not especially fit, you may not have correct form. You are probably not engaging your abs to do them.

badform.jpg

This is correct form:
    planker1.jpg

Here's the article I got the pics from with some good tips.
    http://www.fudiet.com/2011/09/planking-101-qa-with-julie-mulcahy-mpt/

AWESOME... thanks for sharing this!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    A Plank-A-Day group was started, but nobody really kept up with logging. I'm still planking, though. Maybe we can revitalize this. Who's in? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/13449-plank-a-day-challenge
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I do sets of 2 minute planks.. It is the longest 2 minutes ever. We also do side planks in body pump.
    I read that you do not do planks for calorie burn more for core strength.