Planking

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I got talked into a ridiculous plank session a while back.

Feet on a yoga ball, then, each forearm goes on a yoga ball.

Plank 30 seconds, do a "pushup" where you butterfly your arms out like on a butterfly machine. Then back up for another 30 seconds of plank.

Wash rinse and repeat without stoppage for 5 minutes.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Plank 30 seconds, do a "pushup" where you butterfly your arms out like on a butterfly machine. Then back up for another 30 seconds of plank.

I'd fall on my face. Repeatedly.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Does anyone Plank?
    Yes. Regular planks + side planks

I do them with elbows on ground, elbows on bosu ball and elbows on a small swiss ball. Different levels of resistance and impact to core. Balls make it hard (no pun intended.. trust me).

How long do you do it for, what are your personal sets/reps?
    I do 3 sets of minute each per type of plank

How do you log it on MFP?
    I dont.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, we do it totally different in yoga.
    Like this.
    img_4128.jpg?w=501&h=281
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/470

and remember to do the opposite after! :)
    tumblr_m58ghkjAys1r2mt3jo1_500.jpg
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2474
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    I plank daily. Sometime for just a minute sometime for 3-4 minutes. Planking and I have a love hate relationship but I need planking in my life :) lol

Also, for the good form / bad form pic...... it's great. But keep in mind it clearly looks like the bad form girl is a beginner. Good form girl has been planking for awhile.

Keep planking and form gets better the stronger you get :)

Plank on!
  • fit_grrrl
    fit_grrrl Posts: 32
    Options
    Used to hate them. Don't bother with them anymore, way too easy. At about 45 seconds there ceases to be any useful adatations outside of the ability to plank longer, which isn't really all that useful unless you're into planking contests or something of the sort.

^^^ this
    I love Side planks with hip lifts the most followed by walking arm plank

I found I can plank for days since I squat, DL and do Good Mornings
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I do it most often as part of a circuit training set with my heart rate high from a more active state, so I count them in that mix. Thanks to the above poster about the form that comes with strength. Great tip! I think I like them because they are a bit more new to the exercise scene and there is a competitive element to them. I have a kitchen timer that counts up...works great. I sit it down in front of my arms so that I don't have to count. : )
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Like this.
    img_4128.jpg?w=501&h=281

Those are high plank variations! And kudos for doing them.

OP, try to hold a plank for as long as you can. then repeat. Try to beat your previous time the next round. Make sure you keep your form. no sense in doing 1 min if your form is sloppy
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thought planking was when you lay down across a surface you would normally not lay across. See, you learn something new everyday :)
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My personal best is 2 minutes, 27 seconds---I usually go for just over 2 minutes when I plank.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I hate planks. When I started doing them I could only hold it for about 20 seconds. Now I can get three sets of 90 seconds, but I still hate them. ☺

I hate them too. I can probably do 3 sets of 1 - 1.5min each, but I hate them. And I probably don't do them as often as I should. Heh. =\
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i prefer water boarding
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I try and do them everyday. Longest I've held at one time was for 3 minutes, but if you've ever planked, you know that's not easy! I'm part of a planking challenge at the moment: Get 60 minutes worth of planks in for 30 days - it helps to keep you motivated!

Here's me planking:

170d94ac-d277-4d0f-8d43-4ba7ffd4f8ea_zps9b0bf660.jpg
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Me too. A lot.
  • AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I only started doing planks last week, on my knees to make them easier, I can just about manage 2 lots of 20 seconds. It's tough but I like them much better than crunches or sit ups. I don't log them on MFP at all.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    DH and I do one plank every night. Last night we got up to 2:17. Of course, we've only been doing this for a few days, so we'll see how long it lasts. :-)
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

lol i'd likely just fall on my face once... lol
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Like this.
    img_4128.jpg?w=501&h=281

Those are high plank variations! And kudos for doing them.

OP, try to hold a plank for as long as you can. then repeat. Try to beat your previous time the next round. Make sure you keep your form. no sense in doing 1 min if your form is sloppy

Another more advanced plank variation is this one:
    0.jpg

MAH00314%281%29.jpg

Works the biceps, shoulders, and chest along with the core and glues (one key to straightening out a plank is to start in a bowed position, then flex your butt hard to straighten out).
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Sorry ^. Bad form.

Planks are part of the sun salutations in yoga and have been practiced for years. A variation is something like this -
    plank-e1348982703685.jpg

Doing one with your elbows and forearms on the mat is just a modification for people that can't do real ones.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The planche lean variation of a straight arm plank is most certainly not bad form. The form in that photo is darn near perfect.

Saggy hips lady doing straight arm planks in the grass with collapsed shoulder blades doesn't have good form though.