The more I lose & the better I feel...

Options
The more my friends and family seem to get aggressive in being as UNSUPPORTIVE as humanly possible. Has this happened to anyone else? I just posted my 20-lb weight loss photos on Facebook and got told things like:

"I found MyFitnessPal really oppressive, constantly berating me with how I was consuming thousands of calories and how what I thought was one serving was actually four, so I deleted it."

"I hope you don't gain it all back when you're done! That happened to my mother/cousin/whatever!"

"You don't NEED to lose 40 lbs - you're going to be skeletal!" (for the record, I was not skeletal when I weighed 55+ lbs less than I currently do, I won't be skeletal when I weigh 35 lbs less either).

"BMI doesn't even mean anything!"

"What are you, trying to look like a Hollywood actress? That's not even hot."

What the hell!

For the record, I'm 5'7", small to medium framed, and currently weigh 177 lbs. I'm very hourglassy, so I gain weight proportionately, and because of all the extra fat, I look bigger-boned than I really am, but my body fat % right now is 34%. I know I truly AM 35-40 lbs overweight and it seriously hinders my mobility and desired level of athleticism. I know I'm not going to any extremes - I'm only losing a half a pound to a pound per week, tops, because I'm going for a slow gradual weight loss over time. But I have completely changed my lifestyle and feel so much better physically and accomplished emotionally. You would think people who care about me would be happy for me that I'm making so many positive changes?? But it's gotten to the point where I don't feel like I can talk to hardly anyone about it (except my BFF who is a fitness instructor) because people in my life are so damn negative about it!

Why do you guys think people act like this and get so freaking defensive and weird? I'm about to give up talking about it to people I know IRL and just start blogging here.

Replies

• BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on the 20lbs so far! :drinker:

Secondly, many a member have stopped talking to friends & family regarding their weight loss; You're far from being alone on this. While I cannot explain the mentality, I can tell ya the best solution: "Ignore them"
    Do what you want
    Live how you want

And you may be inspiring someone and not even know it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have just stopped talking or saying anything to anyone around me right now. I just come to these message boards when I need a bit of inspiration. I have also friended a few people and knowing someone is watching to see if I log has kept me honest. Sometimes people are jealous or simply don't want to admit that anything they are doing is wrong or unhealthy.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm hearing from a lot of people now that it's totally normal for friends and family to lose their minds and get aggressively negative when you start losing weight. SMH. It's just really sad and discouraging to me because I have a special needs teenage son and I'm in my 30s, so my ENTIRE adulthood has been about doing stuff for other people and now that I'm doing one thing for myself and feeling really good and empowered, people that supposedly care about me tear it down right and left.
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    You know what, and pardon my language, screw em'! You want to do this for you, don't you? Don't let these ignorant comments hold you back. You have come a long way, 20 lbs gone! That's awesome! You are the one that is going to be glowing with health and a healthier outlook on life.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 20 pounds!! It is an amazing feeling! Great work!

I am kind of in the same boat. Not THAT extreme and 'in your face' though. The people around me "say" they support me. But they will be the first to put the unhealthiest, greasiest, and highest calorie foods in front of me. I have had to stop being around some people because they would not stop.
    I think people do this because you have decided to make a lifestyle change. For the better. You want to be healthier for whatever reason (to look thinner, be fit, more mobility. etc etc..) It was not THEIR idea, and its not THEIR control, and THEY are not calling the shots. THEY may have not been successful, so they want to bring you down to their level, cause heaven forbid someone else succeeds. So maybe that is why they lash out to your proud and accomplished state of being.
    SO, I would not allow those people into your GET FIT AND HEALTHY state of mind. Do not let them bring you down. And when the day comes that they are all gasping in disbelief that you DID IT and you look and feel amazing, and they ask you how you did it??? Just let them know you had a great support system backing you up and helped push you until you reached and exceeded your goals (even if it is us here on MFP :bigsmile: )
    Keep at it! Your doing a great job. Do not let the jealous, envious and negative people slow you down!:flowerforyou:
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Defriend them :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I've never gotten a negative reaction from people. Then again, you're a lot closer to goal and extremely good looking. Jealousy?
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Maybe confronting them on their behavior would help. I firmly believe that great friends and family should be able to talk about anything, and feel comfortable talking about that anything. Ask them why they are being so negative and let them know that they are hurting your feelings. It is quite possible that they do not even realize that that is what they are doing!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have found that some people do not even realize they are being mean...I also found that telling them to shut it works just fine.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    As others above have said - "screw 'em"! I'm sure (I hope) you get loads of positive feedback and encouragement on here, so keep the two separate and report your weight loss victories here and not on FB. They're probably jealous anyway!

Oh, and very well done on the loss so far - keep it up :)
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've found that the very people who "pooh-pooh'ed" my efforts in the beginning have turned around and become really supportive, so don't lose hope. You may very well inspire them to improve their own health once they see your success and continued dedication. :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I can't talk about how great I feel to my extended family because most of them are really overweight and don't want to hear it. I have had to learn to shut up and only boast on this site.:bigsmile:
    I tell my yoga teacher and people at yoga who seriously want to know, but in general - it's a no no.
    My son told me I shouldn't lose any more weight because I am older now. I'm not even into healthy BMI yet! And I am only 63 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    MFP is for finding your body/fitness goal. And if nothing else, gives you an idea of how to get where you want to be, Miss Andie.

I dare not tell you what Facebook is about, because I WILL NEVER have an FB account. I don't see the point to it.

I'll just say, its a bunch of haters, who don't like being reminded of how slothful and lazy they are. That you are choose to take your own body and choices into your hands, and doing something about it.

Haters gonna hate, but is that going to stop you?

Kudos, by the way.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I don't post it up on my FB at all. I am a HEAVY girl, I know this, but if I mention trying to lose weight, the 'You don't need to" comments pop up. Seems they're fine with the exercise portion, so I can still talk about that, but no to the weight loss.

Of course these are the same people who tell me how awesome I look when I'm slimmer too so, whatever.

My family is ok though since my mom has been struggling with weight all her life, and my two siblings are both very slender and very clean/healthy food conscious
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    They are jealous and unfortunately some people take a close relationship as a green light to comment without a filter. Defriend them or delete their comments.... or even better... use it to fuel your fire.

You're doing great things with yourself and there's going to be those who can't handle it.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    MFP > facebook.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Honestly they just sound like they are jealous and are doing everything they can to try to justify it. I'm lucky because my friends and family are so amazingly supportive of my weight loss. But the fact is you have worked hard and you should be proud of yourself! Screw the h8rs.
  • gts175
    gts175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bostonsndie, YOU ROCK! - That should be what F&F say to you every day. You set a goal to accomplish something and you are on your way to making it happen!! It may be that those people being negative have never done that. They are small thinkers and most likely intimidated by others' success.

I have many in my family like that, so, I just stay focused and let them talk. Usually when they make a negative comment, I don't respond. I just stand there silently............they simply can't stand the awkward silence but, they sometimes realize how small they sound, fidget, and then quickly change the subject. Sometimes they don't realize it, but I do the same thing to them every time. You have to embrace the awkward moments. I love those moments now. They are family and I still love them but I don't let them off the hook. If they really don't get it and ask me why I'm so quiet, I say I just have no response to their previous comment. It's fun. (guess I have a little mean streak)

Oh yeah, I sometimes eat junk food or sweets when they are around just to make them wonder how I do it. Probably irritates them a little. :)

Anyway, you're beautiful, you're in charge of you life and YOU ROCK!
    Stay positive, good luck and congratulations!
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen to me in the past and, unless they changed after I called them out, I've pretty much cut those people from my life. When I've passed on horrible delivery food at work some of my co-workers reacted as though I was starving myself and told me they were worried about me. Who knew saying no to fast food was so dangerous to my health? :laugh:

I believe it's because they're annoyed that you've got the motivation to do something about a situation you're unhappy with. I think they're jealous because they're unable to find the willpower to change their own life for the better. So, instead, they try to tear you down and make you falter.

Misery loves company!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the reactions you've had, I feel really sorry for you.
    If I am being totally honest, most of those people just sound like they have a pessimistic outlook on life and/or are jealous of how far you've come.
    In future, maybe keep your achievements a little closer to home. Alternatively, think "screw them" and start surrounding yourself with people who are most supportive and optimistic.

Well done on your loss so far :flowerforyou: