Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    on sandwiches. :)
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    At my restaurant we make a hummus chicken wrap. Take grilled chicken and put in a tortilla wrap, add hummus lettuce and tomatoes. It makes a great lunch.

Also try the same wrap with spinach artichoke dip instead of hummus.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hummus Pizzas! Get a piece of nan, add your hummus and whatever veggies you like, sprinkle on some cheese and voila! Hummus pizza for about 300 cals :)

It tastes great on sandwiches too.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    also this sounds weird but try a grilled cheese with hummus in it, the cheese and hummus melt in together and it makes an amazing sandwich
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    LOVE hummus! And I use it in everything! As a dip, in salads on sandwiches, wraps, veggie burgers, pita chips on bagels etc. Recently a MFPeep made deviled eggs replacing the yolk/mayo mix with hummus she said it was amazing! I have not tried it yet but plan to! :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I learned to make hummus from the owner of a fantastic lebanese restaurant in Washington, DC.

The trick to extra-smooth hummus is to double-boil the chickpeas. Boil them until the skins start coming off, then shuck the skins off under cold running water, then boil them again until one easily mushes with slight pressure.

My favorite way to make hummus is to make a cilantro-infused oil (add cilantro to olive oil in the food processor) and maybe half a ghost chili, and then add the chickpeas/tahini, etc. It's delicious and has a great kick.

Remember that chilis are spicier the colder the season, so use less to start out.
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much everyone! Loving all the ideas and recipes will definitely be trying a few of these delicious recipes! I never would have thought to use it on toast...great ideas thanks again!
  • bobbinseed
    Options
    I learned to make hummus from the owner of a fantastic lebanese restaurant in Washington, DC.

The trick to extra-smooth hummus is to double-boil the chickpeas. Boil them until the skins start coming off, then shuck the skins off under cold running water, then boil them again until one easily mushes with slight pressure.

My favorite way to make hummus is to make a cilantro-infused oil (add cilantro to olive oil in the food processor) and maybe half a ghost chili, and then add the chickpeas/tahini, etc. It's delicious and has a great kick.

Remember that chilis are spicier the colder the season, so use less to start out.

thanks for the tips!
  • bobbinseed
    Options
    LOVE hummus! And I use it in everything! As a dip, in salads on sandwiches, wraps, veggie burgers, pita chips on bagels etc. Recently a MFPeep made deviled eggs replacing the yolk/mayo mix with hummus she said it was amazing! I have not tried it yet but plan to! :)

The deviled eggs sound amazing! Keep the ideas comin'!
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to slice red bell peppers and dip it into Sabra red bell pepper hummus! Delicious!!!
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    where do you get your tahini?

Publix has it in the peanut butter section--why, I don't know, but that is where they have it lol.
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    There are some good sounding recipes here!
  • lisaekh
    lisaekh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love to dip apple slices in it - it may sound strange, but it's really good!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I love hummus! Here's a few recipes I've found (I haven't tried the last one yet):

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/buffalo-wing-hummus/
    Buffalo Hummus:
    1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid)
    2 cloves garlic
    1/8 cup (2 tbsp) tahini
    1/8 cup (2 tbsp) fresh lemon juice
    3/4 tsp paprika
    1 tbsp barbecue sauce
    1 1/2 tbsp Frank’s Red Hot (or similar cayenne pepper sauce)
    1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
    3/4 tsp salt

http://www.thewannabechef.net/2011/01/17/snickerdoodle-dessert-hummus/
    Snickerdoodle Dessert Hummus
    2 cups of chickpeas, drained and washed
    1/4 cup almond butter
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    cinnamon sugar for garnish

http://veggiegrettie.com/2012/01/27/vegan-dessert-hummus-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip/
    Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Dessert Hummus
    8 Medjool Dates, soaked (I buy mine at Costco)
    Soaking water
    15 oz. can Eden Organics Salt-Free Garbanzo Beans (aka chickpeas)
    1/3 cup organic peanut butter
    1 1/2 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla
    2-3 Tbs. Enjoy Life mini-chocolate chips (optional)
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I love garlic hummus topped with feta cheese, chopped black olives, and marinated chopped cucumbers in any vinaigrette dressing. I eat that on veggies or pita chips! I love hummus too!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My regular hummus recipe it similar to the first one someone posted. However I have also made black bean hummus- google it, it's wonderful.

I often add half a scoop of unflavored protein powder to boost the protein in it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My girlfriends are obsessed with this one Hummus I make, and here's the recipe I sent them...

Get your food processor (mandatory), and just keep it running….

1. Put in two garlic cloves and mince them up
    2. Add one Can o’ DRAINED Chick Peas (I think mine were Goya). Recipes normally tell you to add the juice of the chickpeas, but I don’t.
    a. Let your food processor blend this up for at LEAST a full minute if not two before proceeding
    3. Add roughly 2 TBSP of oil SLOWLY while your machine is running. I used Wildtree’s Roasted Garlic Infused Grapeseed Oil. Frankly, I wouldn’t use any other oil, but that's just me.
    a. Let your food processor blend this up for at LEAST a full minute before proceeding
    4. Add the Sun Dried Tomato Pesto pictured below. I did 2-3 heaping spoonfuls.
    5. Add a dash of salt if you feel it needs it.
    6. Run your processor another minute or so.
    7. Refrigerate an hour or more before serving.

0003534285008_500X500.jpg
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    also this sounds weird but try a grilled cheese with hummus in it, the cheese and hummus melt in together and it makes an amazing sandwich

That doesn't sound weird, that sounds like heaven.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My girlfriends are obsessed with this one Hummus I make, and here's the recipe I sent them...

2. Add one Can o’ DRAINED Chick Peas (I think mine were Goya). Recipes normally tell you to add the juice of the chickpeas, but I don’t.
    a. Let your food processor blend this up for at LEAST a full minute if not two before proceeding
    3. Add roughly 2 TBSP of oil SLOWLY while your machine is running. I used Wildtree’s Roasted Garlic Infused Grapeseed Oil. Frankly, I wouldn’t use any other oil, but that's just me.
    a. Let your food processor blend this up for at LEAST a full minute before proceeding

This sounds divine. I need to copy and paste this somewhere.
    Can I use an immersion blender do you think?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

This sounds divine. I need to copy and paste this somewhere.
    Can I use an immersion blender do you think?

Honestly? I don't think the immersion blenders do a good enough job. I'd try a real blender or food processor if possible?