What am I doing wrong? Heavy lifting not working. Ugghh

Options

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm lifting heavy and losing fat. I've lost a little over 60 lbs. since July 2012. I don't consider that to be slow, and I have a metabolic issue that makes it a bit more difficult for me to lose.

I know it can be frustrating to go through these periods where the scale isn't moving and it doesn't seem like measurements are changing, but if you can stick with your lifting and eating properly, things WILL change. No two ways about it.

If the scale makes you want to give up, or is just generally driving you crazy, put it away for however long you need to. Just lift and eat and feel good about yourself.

You do need to weigh/measure all your food so you can accurately log calories. Sounds like you've got that, though. Hopefully you're eating enough.

Do you continually increase the weights you're lifting? I aim to increase every week, but I can't always do that. I go up little by little, when I can. If I can't get a full set (for me that's 5 reps) I do what I can in that set, and then maybe go for another set or two of those. A big part of lifting is psychological, and I feel like this helps me get beyond any sort of mental blocks I've constructed for myself. Sometimes we make those obstacles without even really thinking much about it. We just have it in our minds that a certain number is too heavy, beyond us, or whatever. Gotta keep pushing forward all the time if you want to increase your strength and challenge your body.

I lift 3 times per week, and l am not a fan of cardio at all! Bores me to death. I walk at least 4 miles daily (7 days per week), and on the days in between lifting (2 or 3 days per week), I do a bit of kettlebell work. The way I do it is more like interval training. I switch out a kettlebell session for a hill sprinting session every now and then, to change things up a bit. Walking remains constant, even on my rest day.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I measure things like peanut butter using using measuring spoons so I'm good there. As far as meats, I use the size of the palm equals 4oz method and since I guestimate I add an ounce or two to my diary. As far as calorie burn, I do have a HRM but I don't log exercise anymore since I don't eat back exercise calories. I calculated my TDEE using a lightly active setting and set my diary to 20% less than my TDEE.

So for me, 3x heavy lifting per week plus the cardio warm-up puts me at lightly active (I use a Fitbit to track my daily activity outside of the gym) and I'm completely sedentary when I'm not in the gym. So if you're running as well, I'd say you're more likely to be moderately active.
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    Options
    Losing weight correctly:

Step 1: Throw away your scale
    Step 2: Buy a mirror
    Step 3: Pick a regimen, stick through it for a 3 month period, and decide if it's working or not.
    and what if after 3 months u find out it didnt work? 3 months wasted! if u r in a proper calorie deficit, the weight should start coming off 1-2 weeks.

The reason I say keep on a regimen for 3 months for someone going through experiences like OP is because there are other factors that might affect her "weight loss." Of course lifting isn't going to yield immediate weight loss results. But in the long haul, if she continues lifting (yes, even with regular maintenance diet), it could be what kicks her weight loss into overdrive in the long run after 3 months of her body adapting to lifting weights.

When looking at goals with a regimen you have to understand that your body may go through miscellaneous changes as well that might affect your path to your ultimate goal. This is why I don't like to judge only the immediate change I do or don't see with a regimen. To add, if I feel that a current regimen is inadequate for whatever it is I am striving for, I avoid criticizing its effectiveness if I haven't given it a long period of sustained time to properly help me towards my goal.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect to see any results until the 3rd or 4th month mark.

And do you have a food scale?

That's a long time to start seeing results. Guess I'll have to work on my patience. I do have a food scale but I don't use it.

Yes this...I only saw a 4 lbs loss the first month....and I nearly gave up. I kept at it and lost 40 lbs eventually but I had to mix some things up. If you can get a trainer I would, but here are a few things I have learned.

1. Get your thyroid checked. Make sure it is a full panel thyroid test (not just TSH, but also free t3 and free t4). Have a doctor qualified in hormonal balancing read it and make suggestions. This helped me a lot. I am taking a compound of armor thyroid and syn-thyroid and my levels are finally in a really good range and the weight is finally coming off. 1 in 4 women have hormonal issues that mess with weight loss
    2. Increase your cardio to 3x a week and increase it to 90 minutes each time. Do a cross training mix of things (like spinning, swimming, zumba), and add high intensity intervals to one of those things for 30 minutes. It's a fat killer. I know 90 minutes sounds like a lot but everything I have read says 30-60 minutes is just not enough cardio when you are over 50 lbs over weight. It will be when you are in better shape, but right now you need to move more for longer periods of time. Sucks I know, but it really burns the calories when you are in a constant state of motion, especially if you cross train and never let your body get into a steady state.
    2. Lifting Heavy is awesome. Not sure I can add anything to that except to keep it up and to keep adding more weight. Talk to a trainer...something might be amiss...be certain technique is good. Also change things up constantly. My trainer says minimum every three weeks change something. I use an inverted pyramid lifting scheme. 8/10/12 heavy/medium heavy/light heavy/.
    3. Food scale? I just don't see the need. Also it look kinda weird when you go out. Learn to eye ball things. Your palm is about 3 oz of meat. A cup of grain/potatoes is about a fist size. But be honest are you counting everything. I get really upset when people ask me this, but I often forget the tablespoon of mayo or the 1/2 avocado I added as garnish. These 100 calorie fat items (those not bad for you) add calories. Be sure everything is accounted for.
    4. How much carbs/sugar is in your diet? Are you controlling your blood sugar by balancing it with protein and fat? Are you eating good fat?
    5. Are you eating any trans fats? Lots of gluten or wheat? Anything you might be intolerant to? This can stall weight loss.
    6. I drink a pre-work drink. It helps a lot. It is a combination of vitamin b's/ some green tea/ electrolytes/fat burner and few other things. To this I also take BCAA's. After my workout I drink protein. This has really helped retain lean tissue and decrease fat deposits.
    7. I love 16/8 intermittent fasting...google it and see if it might help you...it really has me. Some people like 5:2 but it doesn't work for me.

Good Luck
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    It's taking me a good 2-3 months to see a difference...but the difference in my strength didn't seem to take long at all.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

This definitely this. I lifted for a year and just plateaued. Then I got a food scale and am actually now eating at a deficit when previously I only thought I was. I've lost 13 lb since I started weighing my food. And I continue to lift. My waist now looks smaller than I think it ever has. Give it time, and make sure you are being as accurate as possible with your logging.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options

That's a long time to start seeing results. Guess I'll have to work on my patience. I do have a food scale but I don't use it.

Whoow hold the bus! hang on 'stop and think about that statement, HOW MANY YEARS DID IT TAKE YOU TO PUT ON THE WEIGHT?..... it takes that and at least half as much again to get rid of it, there are no quick fixes, its a long term lifestyle change you should focus on, this should be about more than wanting to look good on the beach, it should be more about not wanting to end up having a heart attack or being diabetic or worse, be patient young padowan the force is strong in you, but train hard you must! lol:wink: All the best on your journey, be strong, be consistent for it's a long road, YOU CAN DO IT!
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Patience young Jedi.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Use the food scale. Weigh everything. How are you deciding what is 5oz of chicken?

How are you measuring peanut butter?

How are you deciding your activity level? How do you determine calories burned in exercise?

^ This.
    Also, 3-4 months is pretty standard before you are going to notice real changes to your body. You will notice some very small ones 1-2 months in but unless you stick at it, you wont see any real results until then.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Your sets are extremely low. It's okay to do 3 sets at 8 reps for "working" sets, but you probably need to pyramid the weight down. It's possible that you're burning fat and building muscle. MFP sort of sets protein levels to non-lifting diets. I switched my ratio to 40% of my diet to be protein... you can mess with yours numbers that give the best results. A lot of people assume they're executing the exercise correctly. Have you learned proper form? If you haven't you could be making the mistake of using too much of your forearms and shoulders to bear the weight, which could cause lack of proper muscle stimulation.

So should I aim for five sets instead of three? I've been watching youtube videos to make sure I'm getting the right form. Hopefully I am. As for macros, I have my diary set at 40c/30p/30f

i don't think pyramiding or not pyramiding makes any difference. I never pyramid weights, I do them straight at the same value for each set and I've lost weight that way. It just takes time and effort, that's all that matters.

Pyramid if you want, if you like it, but doing it or not doing it makes no difference to the weight loss unless it makes you more comfortable and likely to go to the gym.

I do think you could try doing 4 sets instead of 3. If you lift heavy the 4th set is where you will be most exhausted and most wearing down the muscle. Maybe not for every exercise but when I do full body or compounds I usually do 4 sets of it (squats, deadlifts, press, etc).

Thanks for the input. I actually am going to try pyramiding. My husband suggested that as well.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've been overweight just about all of my life so I'm learning from scratch to live a healthy lifestyle. I often quit when one thing doesn't work but I'm Willing to be patient and stick it out. I'm not looking for a quick fix but I have been plateaued now for months so that's the reason for the complaining. My diary is open for those that want to see what my eating habits are like. I usually overestimate my calorie count in case of miscalculations but I can see the point in using a food scale. And I do count condiments such as mayo. I also cut back on added sugar although some of my food still contain a but if sugar. Most of the sugar comes from fruit which I eat alot of. I haven't eaten any sweet snacks such as cookies or granola bars since I started lifting so I'm good there. Feel free to critique my diary. I'm willing to take on any advice there. I also plan to get outdoors next week for a little more cardio. Gonna start jogging at least 1 day a week. That's the most I can do outdoors based on me and my husband's schedule, seeing as though I have three toddlers, a full time job and go to school part time. I'm trying y'all. Thanks for the help. I know I can do this.
  • ringocat1
    ringocat1 Posts: 1
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing a lot right with the lifting, cardio, protein and using a scale to weigh food. The only thing that I would suggest is the idea of eating every two and a half to three hours of smaller meals that include protein. This keeps your metabolism running and your body doesn't go into starvation mode which actually sabotages your efforts to loose weight because the body wants to hold the calories. Also drink lots and lots of water. This helps as well. Good luck and keep up your efforts. You have taken the first steps to being a stronger, healthier you!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Consistency over the long haul is the key to success.

Trust your program will get you there. Worrying will only lead to problems. Makes small adjustments instead of massive overhauls.

Its only been a month. In a couple years you'll be where you want to be. Things don't happen overnight.

This

Please do not give up.
    You did not gain all the extra weight in just 2 months. Human body does not not like change.
    It took me 15 months to lose 23 pounds. The first 12 weeks scale did not move at all.
    Please be patience. Slow and steady makes the award.
    Good luck in your journey
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Trust your program will get you there. Worrying will only lead to problems. Makes small adjustments instead of massive overhauls.

Its only been a month. In a couple years you'll be where you want to be. Things don't happen overnight.

This

Please do not give up.
    You did not gain all the extra weight in just 2 months. Human body does not not like change.
    It took me 15 months to lose 23 pounds. The first 12 weeks scale did not move at all.
    ur cal deficit was extremely small
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Not enough protein in your diet, too many carbs.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Read this immediately and join the group eat train progress and read the rest of sara's information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

I agree with this advice! After reading this, I started weighing everything. I was shocked at how inaccurate measuring is. I figure most days I was consuming about 300 calories more than I thought.
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. So frustrated, as well.
  • niqua215
    Options

This

Please do not give up.
    ur cal deficit was extremely small

What calorie deficit is small? I'm not eating at 1200 calories. It has never worked for me. My diary is set at 20% less than my tdee with a lightly active setting.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Not enough protein in your diet, too many carbs.

What do you do as far as carbs? Mine is set at 40%. I find it rather hard to get to the 30% of protein although I try to get as close as possible. I also eat a lot of starchy fruit and veggies so I don't really count those as far as carbs. What do you think?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Ummm I take in as much carbs as you per day and have lost 15lbs (and 10+% in body fat).. your problem is not enough protein and not enough exercise. You need a good balance of weight lifting and cardio for fat loss.. and how do you know that heavy lifting is not working? It's very possible that your weight on the scale is not changing but your body fat percentage and/or measurements are changing. I asked you what your BF was, you never answered?

Also, I'd cut out the processed cheese slices and other processed items. You can eat flavoured greek yogurt, lean cuts of chicken/turkey/fish, black beans, lentils to get in the extra protein..