What am I doing wrong? Heavy lifting not working. Ugghh

Options
1235»

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Consistency over the long haul is the key to success.

Trust your program will get you there. Worrying will only lead to problems. Makes small adjustments instead of massive overhauls.

Its only been a month. In a couple years you'll be where you want to be. Things don't happen overnight.

This

Please do not give up.
    You did not gain all the extra weight in just 2 months. Human body does not not like change.
    It took me 15 months to lose 23 pounds. The first 12 weeks scale did not move at all.
    Please be patience. Slow and steady makes the award.
    Good luck in your journey
    ur cal deficit was extremely small

What calorie deficit is small? I'm not eating at 1200 calories. It has never worked for me. My diary is set at 20% less than my tdee with a lightly active setting.

I think what # of cals you are eating now is fine but the quality of the food not so much. I also agree with the person who said the scale didn't move for 12 weeks.. for almost 2 months now, I've been at 166lbs but my body fat percentage has been going down, measurements, etc,. Have patience, will travel.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ummm I take in as much carbs as you per day and have lost 15lbs (and 10+% in body fat).. your problem is not enough protein and not enough exercise. You need a good balance of weight lifting and cardio for fat loss.. and how do you know that heavy lifting is not working? It's very possible that your weight on the scale is not changing but your body fat percentage and/or measurements are changing. I asked you what your BF was, you never answered?

Also, I'd cut out the processed cheese slices and other processed items. You can eat flavoured greek yogurt, lean cuts of chicken/turkey/fish, black beans, lentils to get in the extra protein..

I have no idea what my body fat percentage is :(
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I am trying so hard not to be frustrated! Trying to be patient but my darn weight is going up rather than down. Eating less didn't work, now eating more doesn't seem to be working either. Killing myself with cardio didn't work, now this heavy lifting isn't giving me any results on the scale or in my clothes. I'm eating at a deficit 20% below my TDEE, lifting heavy 4 days a week with a half hour of cardio on two of those days. What am I doing wrong here? What do I need to change? Got a ton of weight to lose, 100 damn lbs, and I don't see how I'll get close to my goal if nothing is working. I'm really trying here and trying not to quit again. Sigh. Been heavy lifting for almost a month. Uggghhhh.........End Rant...........

Ugh, that is frustrating. Basically you're going to lose weight through diet, let's just estimate that weight loss is 60% - 70% diet. Go through your TDEE calculation and review everything. Make sure your using the correct values for activity level, etc. Secondly, try taking measurements and hide your scale for a while. Body composition > pure weight loss.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm eating at a deficit 20% below my TDEE
    How do you know?

I'm sure you have an idea and have used estimates, but do you know?
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    You should prob give it a few months before throwing in the towel. Dont quit now. Good luck
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Consistency over the long haul is the key to success.

Trust your program will get you there. Worrying will only lead to problems. Makes small adjustments instead of massive overhauls.

Its only been a month. In a couple years you'll be where you want to be. Things don't happen overnight.

This

Please do not give up.
    You did not gain all the extra weight in just 2 months. Human body does not not like change.
    It took me 15 months to lose 23 pounds. The first 12 weeks scale did not move at all.
    Please be patience. Slow and steady makes the award.
    Good luck in your journey
    ur cal deficit was extremely small

What calorie deficit is small? I'm not eating at 1200 calories. It has never worked for me. My diary is set at 20% less than my tdee with a lightly active setting.
    hi. the key to permanent weight loss is to find a calorie deficit that u r comfortable with. but there is a law of calories in vs cala out that is always in play. if reduce ur maintenance cals by 500 daily u will lose about a pound. the energy loss has to come from somewhere. but for some 500 cals is too steep. maybe u have to do 100 cals a day reduction to be happy. then it would take u a a little more than a month to lose a pound. just advice. good luck!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Ummm I take in as much carbs as you per day and have lost 15lbs (and 10+% in body fat).. your problem is not enough protein and not enough exercise. You need a good balance of weight lifting and cardio for fat loss.. and how do you know that heavy lifting is not working? It's very possible that your weight on the scale is not changing but your body fat percentage and/or measurements are changing. I asked you what your BF was, you never answered?

Also, I'd cut out the processed cheese slices and other processed items. You can eat flavoured greek yogurt, lean cuts of chicken/turkey/fish, black beans, lentils to get in the extra protein..

I have no idea what my body fat percentage is :(

It's never 100% accurate but it gives a good idea.. but you can pick up calipers to measure. In case you don't have those, take your measurements and enter them here for now: http://www.skinbodyfitness.com/bmr_bmi_bfp.htm . You can PM me what it is if you don't want to share but if you end up being below 25%, it will take a bit longer to cut down compared to having a BF% of 50%

Either way, I think you are doing well.. just some minor tweaks like working on cutting out some processed foods, getting in more protein and being a tad more active. You will find what's best for you just don't give up :smile: