This is a photoshop - signed, a graphic artist. (with pics)

Options

Replies

• Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • OkaNekko
    OkaNekko Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump :happy:
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Amazing thread. Thanks so much for posting this. For some reason, the comparison of the girl in the shower really struck me -it made me see how normal I am.

i felt the same way! this thread is wonderful.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    BUMP :smile:
  • TiaFerrera
    TiaFerrera Posts: 93
    Options
    Photoshop in food
    There are a lot of weird tricks like the glue in cereal! I'd really have to research it to know all the tricks. But a favorite personal game is to spot food twins. I can always find one, generally they are spread out over a menu, but things like biscuits, fruits, sunny side eggs, glasses of soda, and items in the background, are just stock images they re-use all over the place. At Dennys I can usually find duplicate strawberries, Church's seems to only have about 3 biscuits to take photos of haha. But because they are spread out it's pretty hard to find them online, I'll edit this post if I find one though.
    For uniformity they may use the same "smoothie" glass and only change the color also… tricky tricky.

churchs-chicken-seafood-menu.jpg
    Here in this Church's ad you'll spot some crazy shops too. First, the plates aren't real, they aren't even photos of plates shopped under the items, they are just drawn in. The shadows are way off and don't include the food. The fish and popcorn shrimp were two different images fitted together, the fries behind one aren't even the same color as the one next to it. (lazy editing if you ask me)
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that the Kardashian Christmas photo is done that way. They are all so busy that they can't get together so they photoshop everyone in. Take a look at one of them and it is pretty obvious.

KARDASHIAN-CHRISTMAS-CARD.jpg

And not ONE of them is smiling. Merry Christmas.

Okay this has probably been said already, but this picture reminds me more of the modern day Addams Family than a Christmas photo.

*edit* one of the best reads I've gotten in a very long time! More examples! More, i say! Lol.
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    This photo is AMAZING in the funniest way.
    KARDASHIAN-CHRISTMAS-CARD.jpg
    Love it.
    They applied a technique called "High Dynamic Range Layer Masking" or HDR photography. It's a beautiful technique, if you care to google it. The photographer takes three images, one at a low exposure, one at ideal lighting, and one slightly high exposure, then layer them, the result is a surreal, sort of erie depth, thats a fairly new technique in which mid tones look cloudy.
    One commenter is right, there are several different lighting sources, and chances are most of them have heads glued on where they probably didn't like their first face, but liked the pose. Most of the women's heads are floating, the worst being Kris the mom.
    The first girl on the left, the younger sister, they added a shilouette in her dress that probably looked really flat otherwise. and added too much shine to her hair.
    Kims boobs are drawn in through the slit, i think maybe it didn't have a slit and they added it, but it's all illustrated.
    Kris has a black stripe going along her arm that lies behind Kim, I think that was something they missed, maybe she was posed behind a banister at first.
    Lamar is standing in Klohes dress.
    Klohe's waist was pulled in as small as kims and her arm closest to her mom seems disjointed, as if her neck is off center.
    The brothers bowtie looks fake but the rest looks pretty legit on him.
    The other younger sisters legs are impossibly long, and I don't know which leg we are looking at, or where the other one is. They do this a lot in long elegant gowns, they just stretch the knee out and add a foot at the end to make legs look longer. Her knee would reach her nose though. Crazy.
    The little boy is surprisingly untouched, i would have thought they'd fix his tie. But that is a fake hand reaching out from behind his head to hold his mothers hand.
    Kourtney's leg from top to toe is just crazy, as well as then behind their son, I can't even figure out what went wrong there. And something strang is going on with her husbands foot behind hers, or is she standing on his?
    Also the floor itself is fake, a drawing, with the image reflected on it.
    This doesn't even begin to touch the airbrushing and replacing facial parts.
    My brothers and I did that one year all posed at different times for a photo for my grandparents, my baby brother is wearing the same tie my older brother is, they still haven't noticed haha.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    LOVE this website:

www.photoshopdisasters.com

photo.JPG
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    Mascara
    Mascara ad's are a big pet peeve of mine.
    orig-8470951.jpg
    Using fake eyelashes, or even worse, photoshopped, not one of them show us what real eyelashes look like with their product. In this one they left some of the viens and pink color in the whites, but still really edited the eyes. Her nose looks plastic, and she hasn't got a pore her face. The little hairs at the top of her scalp were drawn in.
    It has an odd line along her collar because that was added after and the hand holding the brush is floating, probably a hand model and not hers.
    The brush she is holding is actually an illustration of the product, not the real thing. Now that I point that out it even looks fake doesn't it?
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later. Thank you for sharing these!!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I slum around Pintrest ALOT and "thinspiration" is in no short demand there. Whenever I see an over the top photoshop I try to point out how beautiful women's real bodies are and that we have it hard enough comparing ourselves to models, let alone models on photoshop steroids.

The worst of course are fitness magazine covers though.
    Kelly_Boone_Inside_Fitness_Magazine_Cover.jpg
    (not her body, he's only got viens where you want them, not in the neck, which has been stretched pretty bad. These photos were not taken together, but were pieced together after, cleavage was amplified... and it goes on and on... )

As a graphic designer, I've had a lot of experience air brushing, cutting fat rolls, tucking chins, whitening teeth, brightening eyes. But, on a local level, I like to think I'm helping people bring out their inner beauty, I'm certainly not trimming the thighs of Penelope Cruz' already perfect body! I don't shop for commercial use that is.

I wanted to share a fun game I play with, especially little girls in the grocery line, to teach them how to spot fake from real. And always end with how real bodies are beautiful too.

I'm going to keep posting some other shops on this thread to point out common, easy ways to spot photoshop, both for yourself, and any little girl in listening range ok? ;)

The goal of this isn't to say "don't look for inspiration" the goal is to teach women not to compare themselves to this. The industry takes nearly perfect women and then cut impossible forms out of them. We could work out and loose every pound of fat we have and the fact is we will probably live with some loose skin, our necks won't grow longer, and our calfs wont develop that perfect plastic shine. Reality is beautiful, and pretend is fun. But selling this false reality, for profit, is a crime.

I play this game with my husband when we're waiting in line at the grocery store. Often I'll get a lot of interested looks from people behind me, though so far no one has bothered to join the conversation. I'm not a photoshop master, but I can definitely spot it after years of figure drawing from observation. I'm glad you decided to share this. :)
  • crystald911
    crystald911 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thank you for sharing your talent with us!!! :smile:
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    great post!!! Thank you!!
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    #8 Look for Harsh lines
    2600.jpg
    You can find the worst shops while online shopping.
    Sometimes it's just the same exact photo wearing 500 different tops. But one thing to look for is harsh lines. The bikini bottom here casts no shadow on her leg. It's not that the bottoms were added, but that they edited her legs too much (and probably saved over the original haha.) They tried to thin the bottom leg by shifting everything down and the illustration just got out of control. Also the right breast had a shadow added to make it look fuller. You'll notice a strange glow tracing the underside of her arm because they brought the lines up.
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump! This threat is fascinating!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Excellent Topic

Enjoyed learning something new today

Thank You!!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!! Thank you
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting - thanks for posting all these :)