what do you consider cheating?

Options

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    When I cheat, I plan it ahead of time so I can acquire all of the disgusting crap I want to stuff my face with. My cheat nights usually include 1.5-2 large dominoe's deep dish philly cheesesteak pizzas, half a bottle of scotch, some sort of pastry (my wife makes a killer cheese cake with scottish shortbread crust and blackberry sauce) and then I'll snack on candy and other junk for the rest of the night. Sometimes I'll just go to the chinese buffet by my house and go to town on my cheat night. I probably eat in excess of 5000 calories in a 2-3 hour period when I cheat.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I love going overboard.

I have no worries about going overboard, in fact it's my goal. This is why, I burn on average 3,500 calories a day with activities and BMR. I eat 2,000 calories for 6 days, giving me a total deficit of 9,000 calories. Now let's say I go way "overboard" one day and eat 5,000 calories. This would freak many people out but I know that I only had a 1,500 calorie surplus and since a pound of fat is equal to about 3,500 calories that one day would only be 0.4 pounds of fat. Even better when you look at my week I take 9,000-1,500 and I still had a 7,500 calorie deficit and I will lose just over 2 lbs for the week.

Trying to be perfect is the perfect way to fail. If you are not enjoying your diet or your workouts you won't last. The hardest part of weight loss is finding a plan that you can stick with. Losing weight is very easy but doing it long-term and then keeping it off is the challenge. There's no right way or best way to lose weight, there's just your way.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Unhealthy foods are anything that has little to no nutritional value. "empty calories"

Junk food - chips, French Fries, baked goods in general, ice cream, etc etc

These things are unhealthy because deep frying a potato pretty much negates any nutritional value it once had. The sugar content in ice cream negates any nutritional value it might have had.... etc etc.

You are quite mad
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    I don't count anything as cheating.

I also don't count certain foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy", "good" or "bad".

If it fits into my cals and macros for the day, I eat it.

If I want to eat more on a certain day, I do. I'm not cheating anything, I'm living my life and enjoying it.

This!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree, except maybe about no foods being deemed "unhealthy". There are definitely some unhealthy foods out there, doesn't mean I don't eat them occasionally.

I was just curious because everyone talks about having a "cheat day" or "cheat meal".

Can you give me some examples as to what unhealthy foods you're referring to and why they are unhealthy?

Unhealthy foods are anything that has little to no nutritional value. "empty calories"

These things are unhealthy because deep frying a potato pretty much negates any nutritional value it once had. The sugar content in ice cream negates any nutritional value it might have had.... etc etc.

Calories and fat have nutritional value.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Happy endings are not cheating!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Neither. I don't consider anything cheating.

The changes I'm making I intend to keep for life. Is it realistic to not "cheat" the rest of my life? No.

I have to learn how to make smart choices, let myself have the foods I like, and learn how to make them fit in my day.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

If I had a mentality that some things were off limits and that eating them was "cheating" I would just be unhappy and undermine myself. No such thing as "cheating" in my world. :flowerforyou:
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm getting away from the mind-set of "cheating" as well as far as food choices go. It's going a long way in how I look at food and keeps me from feeling like I am dieting or restricting myself. I don't want to feel like I am on a "diet" because I made a full blown lifestyle change I want to stick to. So I eat what fits my macros for the day. If it doesn't fit, I either don't have it or find a way to work it in with extra exercise. :)

It took me a long time to wrap my head around it...but it finally stuck and is doing me a world of good thinking this way.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    The only thing I consider cheating is not logging properly. If I don't log something I eat or drink than I'm cheating myself. If I log extra exercise that I didn't do... or an intensity more than what I did than I'm cheating myself.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Eating stuff with trans fats, going overboard on sugar and starch. These things are not good for me personally and I do not lose weight at the rate I desire if I consume these things. Most people will eat these things and be fine, and I don't care.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

You are quite mad

Ahhh the line between civilised comments and insults is about to be crossed... take cover!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Having sex with anybody other than my husband. Anything else is just making poor food choices.

So anything with another man other than sex isn't cheating, is that what you are saying?
  • Shoebacha1
    Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

I log everything, so if it's a bad day, I see it and feel guilty and that's my reminder to work harder.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider anything "cheating", as that's just not a term I use when talking about diet. But I consider it failure if I go over my calories or eat unhealthy too often. Now and then is fine and seems normal to me. But when it becomes too frequent that is behavior I need to correct.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Having sex with anybody other than my husband. Anything else is just making poor food choices.

So anything with another man other than sex isn't cheating, is that what you are saying?

Correct. Making out with another dude is just another poor food choice. :3
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything as cheating.

I also don't count certain foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy", "good" or "bad".

If it fits into my cals and macros for the day, I eat it.

If I want to eat more on a certain day, I do. I'm not cheating anything, I'm living my life and enjoying it.

^^This^^
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    over the calorie goal. I'm not going to talk semantics.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    over the calorie goal. I'm not going to talk semantics.

lol
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Umm....cheating is when you act as though the rules you have agreed to do not apply to you, and if caught, you lie about it. That's what I'd call cheating.