Have people's concepts of normal become too fat?

Options

Replies

• cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school (late 1980's) all the girls were thin - a B-cup at best

:noway: Well this sounds like an awful time.

In my day all we had were B's... and we liked them! Now you kids get off my lawn :laugh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I'm not too up to date on modern celebrities, but if the names you mentioned in your original post are anything to go by, I still disagree with your point. Reese Witherspoon is pretty much the same size now as Marilyn Monroe was (both beautiful, and by no means tiny), Anne Hathaway is no smaller than Ava was, and Doris Day was pretty slim in her youth too. I agree Kristen Stewart is quite slim though, yes.

Marilyn Monroe would be a modern day size 6 (Not to mention she was 5'6). Reese Witherspoon is 5'1 and 95 pounds, according to the actress herself. I don't think anyone would call that the same size.

I will say Ava Gardner was a modern size 0, so I'm not sure where anyone gets the notion that she was anything but very small. Curvy and soft, yes, but very small.
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school (late 1980's) all the girls were thin - a B-cup at best

If you're going to harp on people about not offending women, then maybe you shouldn't be just as offensive. There are still B cups in the world (such as myself), and you saying that sounds awful is offensive and rude. Practice what you preach or don't say anything.

As for the topic, I agree that views have been changing. A coworker of mine told my boyfriend I didn't need to lose weight when she found out I was watching what I'm eating. I was confused since I definitely have a belly to lose and consider myself fat. If I'm considered normal, something is wrong.

Also, I HATE vanity sizes! I hate never knowing what size to pick. I wish we would use inches like men's clothes!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    One or two exceptions to the rule does not prove your point. I'm talking about the standard 'ideal' of Hollywood, both then and now. As you say, there are a handful (I'm not sure about 'plenty') of larger successful actresses/singers/celebrities now - Kate Winslet, Adele, Queen Latifah, to choose varied examples of women who have succeeded despite being larger than the standard 'ideal' in their industry. Similarly, in earlier years, there were a few who succeeded in spite of not matching the 'ideal' aesthetic of the time. Hepburn was exceptionally petite and boyishly-figured for a star of the period - "too skinny " was the judgement of more than one studio executive. Look at the majority of stars around her, or any other very-petite actress of the 20th Century up until the 'waif' look of the 90's arrived, and you will see a much less-thin prevailing aesthetic than the one we have now, even in the 60's when Twiggy's look was changing the fashion world.

I'm not too up to date on modern celebrities, but if the names you mentioned in your original post are anything to go by, I still disagree with your point. Reese Witherspoon is pretty much the same size now as Marilyn Monroe was (both beautiful, and by no means tiny), Anne Hathaway is no smaller than Ava was, and Doris Day was pretty slim in her youth too. I agree Kristen Stewart is quite slim though, yes.

witherspoon-roland-mouret-1650790ea7.jpg
    merilin-monro.jpg
    article-2320517-19A983F2000005DC-670_306x619.jpg
    iq61um5h.jpg

If we think they look smaller, it's only by comparison to the larger people who surround them. (Beyonce, Kim K and Nicki Minaj are ones I see quite a lot.) Or in the case of Ms Hathaway, she slimmed down to play a starving woman in a film, then went back to her usual weight, which is why people think she's very thin.

Someone nowadays who emulates a 50s style body is Dita von Teese, and I think you'll agree that she's in better shape than the majority of celebs we see now!

We'll have to agree to disagree, then - I rather suspect Ms Witherspoon would be appalled at being compared to Monroe on the basis of her physique! Slender, or slim, is very subjective, and bears little resemblance to Hollywood-skinny, in my opinion. Nonetheless, I have rather a lot of other things to do today, so I'm off!
  • Achrya
    Options

If you're going to harp on people about not offending women, then maybe you shouldn't be just as offensive. There are still B cups in the world (such as myself), and you saying that sounds awful is offensive and rude. Practice what you preach or don't say anything.

As for the topic, I agree that views have been changing. A coworker of mine told my boyfriend I didn't need to lose weight when she found out I was watching what I'm eating. I was confused since I definitely have a belly to lose and consider myself fat. If I'm considered normal, something is wrong.

Also, I HATE vanity sizes! I hate never knowing what size to pick. I wish we would use inches like men's clothes!

I'm sorry my joke offended you so much and that you see it as par with dismissing the existence of trans-women.

Though, giving a second thought, responding to a comment that implies that a woman with something larger than a B cup can't be 'thin' by saying that a time when everyone was a B cup seems awful isn't offensive to women of a smaller bust size. I didn't say that there was anything wrong with a B cup, just that a time when EVERYONE (save those 3 poor fat girls) was a B cup seemed awful. I'm rather happy that there's a bit more diversity in bust size today.
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe would be a modern day size 6 (Not to mention she was 5'6). Reese Witherspoon is 5'1 and 95 pounds, according to the actress herself. I don't think anyone would call that the same size.

I will say Ava Gardner was a modern size 0, so I'm not sure where anyone gets the notion that she was anything but very small. Curvy and soft, yes, but very small.

Ahh fair enough. I wasn't taking height into account, since all I had were photos! I guess I said "size" when I should have said "proportions".
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I'm sorry my joke offended you so much and that you see it as par with dismissing the existance of trans-women.

You responded while I was responding, so I'm editing this to include that. Variety is great, I agree, but your post wasn't clear about that. It just came off as saying smaller cup sizes are bad. Not being able to hear tone makes it hard to know how things should be taken sometimes. Also, I'm not saying it's not important to include trans-people. Breaking gender roles is important.
  • Achrya
    Options

Ahh fair enough. I wasn't taking height into account, since all I had were photos! I guess I said "size" when I should have said "proportions".

Height really changes quite a few things; but in terms of proportions they are very similiar I agree. It's funny how their shapes 'seem' so much different in spite of that, isn't it? Ava, for example, is very similar in size to Anne Hathaway but words like 'Bomshell' and 'Curvy' would never be used to describe Anne thought their measurements are only different by a few inches (2 in bust, 1 in hip, 3 in waist) I suspect it's because stars of our era have 'harder' bodies compared to the ones of past generations.

I'm sorry my joke offended you so much and that you see it as par with dismissing the existance of trans-women.

You responded while I was responding, so I'm editing this to include that. Variety is great, I agree, but your post wasn't clear about that. It just came off as saying smaller cup sizes are bad. Not being able to hear tone makes it hard to know how things should be taken sometimes. Also, I'm not saying it's not important to include trans-people. Breaking gender roles is important.

Well it was certainly not my intent to offend or seem as if I feel smaller busts are less attractive, but I will agree that think a lack of 'tone' and perhaps me editing out the rest of the comment I was responding too (thus taking out the context of "save 3 fat girls") could make it seem like my comment was meant that way. I am willing to admit when my comments might come off as offensive and this is one of those times.

That said I come from a long line of small busted/large behind having women. Genetics got funny with me and gave me a flat butt and big boobs, so I spent a lot of my life feeling like I was odd/had an ugly shape and was often teased for having 'White Girl Booty'. (Nothing wrong with white girl booty, just not what i wanted in my teenage years, lol) and developing far ahead of my peers, so I take body acceptance very seriously and would never purposefully put other women down.
  • cjpembo
    Options
    Nothing wrong with A's, B's, C's, D's, ... whatever. In my day, we didn't have internet; so if you were lucky to see an actual pair of boobs in real life it was a magical experience !
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    I think, not only are the new norms of being larger deemed ok, but they are embraced. So many ads pushing that it's ok.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i was severely underweight as a child/teen, dangerously so, and nobody ever commented.
    my daughter is a healthy size, with a tiny waist but well muscled thighs, and gets called both fat and anorexic at school.

messed up.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm speaking about people from the UK here. I'm not sure about other countries, but this is something that i find interesting because i'm 5''10 and my weight is around 135-138 pounds, which is normal under the BMI but people tell me that i look anorexic and that i need to eat a cheeseburger. I don't think it's me that's too skinny, i think that people's concepts of normal have become too fat because now a days there are a lot of chubby/overweight people walking around and that's what people have gotten used to seeing so now it's considered normal to a lot of people.

Yes, same here. I think that a lot of it has to do with people embracing their bigness and as a culture people are getting bigger and bigger so what used to be normal is now thin. I don't really care, I know I want to be fit and healthy and if people think I should be heavier or whatever then that's their shout :)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yes!

People are always telling me I don't need to lose weight - and sure, I don't "need" to - I'm a healthy weight and BMI but I WANT to look shredded and badass and I will always eat healthy clean food because it makes me feel good :)
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly why having plus size models, clothing stores & the like have got to go. People now complain if they get charged more on a plane cause they are fat. They complain if there is no 'flattering' clothing to fit them in their size. They complain then when exercise equipment is not built for their weight.

It's become a world of fat people, an nobody bats an eye at it.

REALLY??!! Plus size stores have to go? :grumble: Then what would the larger people wear? How about the stores stay and people just be concerned about where they shop.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Considering I can't go shopping in most "normal" department stores (Macy's, JC Penney, Kohl's, etc.) because their smallest misses size is too big for me and junior's is too young for me....yes, I'd say fat is the new normal. I'm 5'6", 120 lbs, and there's no way in hell I'm a size 0. That's not even a real number!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly why having plus size models, clothing stores & the like have got to go. People now complain if they get charged more on a plane cause they are fat. They complain if there is no 'flattering' clothing to fit them in their size. They complain then when exercise equipment is not built for their weight.

It's become a world of fat people, an nobody bats an eye at it.

I agree. Its A harsh reality but it IS REALITY. We have create a culture of coddling that allows people to continue with unhealthy habits.
  • cjpembo
    Options
    Considering I can't go shopping in most "normal" department stores (Macy's, JC Penney, Kohl's, etc.) because their smallest misses size is too big for me and junior's is too young for me....yes, I'd say fat is the new normal. I'm 5'6", 120 lbs, and there's no way in hell I'm a size 0. That's not even a real number!

All three of my daughters (9, 7, and 5) are in the same boat. Most everything we find in stores is tailored for larger waists. We have to get the skinny skinny jeans (not a typo) at Old Navy. Most of the time they just resort to wearing leggings with skirts over them. The neck holes in the shirts are huge too. Thank goodness summer is here: baggy shorts and safety pins it is. I can't imagine how difficult this is when you're a woman looking for something stylish...?

My wife and her mother we're laughing one day... they were both wearing a size 10... but their weights were 65 lbs different.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My favorite kind of fat shaming is "concerned fat shaming". You know, when random folks comment on overweight people but insist it's not how they look that upsets them, it's genuine concern for their health. How dare they try to learn to accept and be happy as they are at a UK 16/US 12; what about their health?

Oh and one time someone told m to eat a burger and it hurt my feelings. How dare these overweight people lash out with even a fraction of the venom the world has heaped on to them; they're not allowed to be bitter and mean; after all I'm slim/athletic/skinny and they should aspire to be more like me because I am closer to the ideal.

Who cares if being fat is more acceptable? Are fat people making you fat? Making your kid fat? Eating all your food? Stealing your jobs or otherwise inhibiting your life in some manner beyond making you look upon their overweight forms? As far a I'm concerned it just means more clothes available in my size; sounds like a win to me.

How about billions of dollars in healthcare costs? Driving insurance rates up for everyone else, or even worse, just straight out charging it to tax payers if they are on public assistance. In United States, 40% of all healthcare costs are attributed to just one disease -- diabetes. And a lot of those people still eat junk as they are receiving treatment. So, yes, I think that taxpayer money should not be wasted on those who don't even want to help themselves and they are taking away something from those who got sick through no fault of their own.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I'm laughing at the irony here. Unless I drove to Ocala or Orlando to get to a Lane Bryant or another plus-sized store, I had a heck of a time finding clothes that fit me well when I was larger; the budget clothes never really worked, for the most part save for the occasional Target item. Now, it appears that I might have the same problem at my goal weight but with misses? Great googly moogly.