Counting potato chips will drive one crazy

Options
So, do I need to get a food scale for potato chips? First of all, yes, I know it's a processed food, high in sodium, oil and will kill me eventually. But push that aside for a moment and who else is annoyed that a bag of chips will say, "about 9 chips"?

You all know that as you count them out on a plate or a small bowl that the chip size varies. Some are "half chips" or mini chips. The entire exercise is exhausting. Anything else is easy to count with measuring cups or such (strawberries, deli meat, almonds, tomatoes, etc).

I think the chip mega-companies should come up with a bag that buzzes when you've taken out one ounce of chips or maybe shocks you (like a dog collar). Because if you have a big bag of chips, your pre-frontal cortex is telling you to stop and measure whereas your sub-conscious is telling you to push those chips in and worry about the consequences later.

If you're going to reply with any kind of spartan or shamed filled diatribe about self control, please refrain. This is for out of the box thinkers, only. Kidding. You can insult away. :)

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I always measure when i can....its way more accurate....9 chips if u are like me i would pick the 9 biggest ones...which would mean it will be a different measurement then 9 small ones lol
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yup - food scale - because sometimes you get lucky and get more than 9! :drinker:
  • Robin_Anne
    Robin_Anne Posts: 54
    Options
    Come on now, when the bag is 1/3 full, you know you push together three "minis" and say, "that counts as one." Remember, one one is looking at the bowl but you in the kitchen. ha, ha
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    Found some food scales at a cooking store....I may invest if not for my love of potato chips. Good to know that you may, in fact, get more!
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    What I just started doing was just grabbing a handful of crisps and calling it even and good. No more, no less. Although my track record with that means cheating here and there to squeezing in a few extra crisps when I shouldn't be doing so.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    food scale is one of the best weight loss equipment i bought so definitely YES
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I actually do weigh em out, found most of the time I was cheating myself by not eating the full ounce of them. Tonite I weighed them 2x as I felt for sure the scale was lying in grams...got same thing in ounces lol....as I got more chips than the 11 that was listed.

For sure you have to weigh those wee little busted off chippies...no way do I throw those out but again, not gonna sit and try to construct a Dorito ® out of them, LOL
  • katebowen37
    katebowen37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about a food scale anyway. Besides chips (I hear ya!) I try to portion my meat but how many ounces is this chicken breast? Ya know, this monster one that looks like it came off a T-Rex? And I think a scale might help me portion out spaghetti noodles better too, seeing as their portion size is ounces (Um, what?)
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about a food scale anyway. Besides chips (I hear ya!) I try to portion my meat but how many ounces is this chicken breast? Ya know, this monster one that looks like it came off a T-Rex? And I think a scale might help me portion out spaghetti noodles better too, seeing as their portion size is ounces (Um, what?)

this
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    So right about chicken and spaghetti noodles. I saw this wooden circle thing at an Italian store where you'd fit one, two, three servings of noodles into it and it would show you one ounce, etc. I didn't buy it and then when I went back, they'd sold out.

Also, with meat, they say to eat a deck of cards-sized piece of meat (which seems small but obviously, I need to work on portion control).

So, it sounds like there's a ton of reasons to get the food scale.
  • nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weight everything! But I have a new found respect for y'all who weigh chips! I actually don't eat them lie because there's no way I could stop at the serving size. It's all or nothing when it comes to the worlds most delicious snack, and then add dip!

Go you good things!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I get eye rolls when I count chips, but then usually I say **** it anyway and just log an entire bag because I'll eat an entire bag.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother eating 9 potato chips...have some salted air popped popcorn instead, loads more for your calories. Potato chips are pointless.

Not to mention lower fat, you can decide how much salt, or add something completely different. They have no oil on them, they're not deep fried, you can share them with your hamster...
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Just buy them in smaller packets! The "value" ones from Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, etc. are around 100 calories a packet. It's easier to add a packet or half a packet than to weigh or count. I'm assuming that supermarkets everywhere sell these (they're in multipacks, the cheapest ones you can buy), but maybe not?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You can't accurately calorie count without scales. Cups for items amounts can vary enormously as it depends how much someone can push into the cup or how the item is cut.
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    I get eye rolls when I count chips, but then usually I say **** it anyway and just log an entire bag because I'll eat an entire bag.

Who cares about eye rolls! Tell them if they want to see you lean and sleek, then get used to some counting. I've got the skinniest friends on gluten free this or cave men that, telling me to eat as much as I please....but they have been thin and I have been chubs so I need to watch the calorie intake. For all I know, that's their only meal that day and we fall into the trap and overeat.

Just do what you gotta do for you.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I got some snack size bags to self-regulate. Chips are one thing I can put away if I'm not careful. Especially with a good dip omg mmmmm lol. Nope haven't "binged" since I started watching what I ate last May. Haven't had more than two servings of chips in one sitting. Self-control is a beautiful thing.
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    Let's just state for the record that chips + DIP has to be another thread topic. Now, all that I can think about is ranch dressing or onion dip. LOL
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    I actually do weigh em out, found most of the time I was cheating myself by not eating the full ounce of them. Tonite I weighed them 2x as I felt for sure the scale was lying in grams...got same thing in ounces lol....as I got more chips than the 11 that was listed.

For sure you have to weigh those wee little busted off chippies...no way do I throw those out but again, not gonna sit and try to construct a Dorito ® out of them, LOL

This is the best response ever. Love it!
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Chips & Salsa are the most threatening thing to me...my kryptonite. You can keep your cake, cookies & sweets...chips are where it's at. I love them so much. Doritos, Lays, Cheetos...I gotta be careful with them, so I choose not to have them around. Because I truly can't stop at a handful.