Counting potato chips will drive one crazy

Options

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i either measure, or buy kids lunchbox sized packets which are a controlled serving thats not off the scale in the bad stuff but still satisfies you.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    so unfair that the "easy" things to measure - strawberries, tomatoes etc are the things that it doesn't matter so much if we go over!! the things we need to measure are the most difficult. Just another ploy to make our lives more difficult !! :ohwell:
  • Robin_Anne
    Robin_Anne Posts: 54
    Options
    Chips & Salsa are the most threatening thing to me...my kryptonite. You can keep your cake, cookies & sweets...chips are where it's at. I love them so much. Doritos, Lays, Cheetos...I gotta be careful with them, so I choose not to have them around. Because I truly can't stop at a handful.

Dear God, if it came between world peace or queso and tortilla chips (sub in guacamole), I fear I would crumble.

What's the saying, "You can't eat just one chip." By the evil Lays chips corp.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a chip person but now I'm hungry. Thanks.. Going out to dinner soon and trying not to snack before 3 courses!
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    so unfair that the "easy" things to measure - strawberries, tomatoes etc are the things that it doesn't matter so much if we go over!! the things we need to measure are the most difficult. Just another ploy to make our lives more difficult !! :ohwell:

I smell a Conspiracy theorist? You are right on the money.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Potato chips (crisps) were my downfall, pre MFP I was eating as many a five 35 gm packs a day, no wonder I was putting on weight! Now (with the help of hypnotherapy) I have them only very occasionally and to be honest, they don't taste as good as they used to (that will be the guilt then!)
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    yea, I agree with the above poster who said it's easier to just buy those little snack size bags of chips so you don't have to count out those blasted chips....less of a pain...

It IS more expensive, but less calorie counting and less of a hassle...and it's easy to just throw in your lunch bag and you can just stop with the one bag of them and not continue eating out of a giant bag of chips.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, chips are my fave junk food. I adore them. Since I started losing weight I haven't dared go near them. There are packets in the pantry but I'm too afraid to open one. So popcorn is my once or twice a week treat.
    What's the saying, "You can't eat just one chip."

Um, yeah - I went to a pot luck dinner two weekends ago and ate ONE chip. Ate my main meal and then ran away (walked home) because I couldn't face the table loaded with desserts. But yeah, one chip...lol.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you are doing it all wrong. Just eat the whole bag and there are no more questions.

All kidding aside. Yes, definitely get a food scale. I bought mine for weighing my coffee but now use it mostly for food. I use it daily. Removing some of the guess work has been comforting to me.

I tried two different scales and only kept one. I've been satisfied with the American Weigh SC-2kg. It's 17 dollars, can be calibrated, uses standard AAA batteries and even comes with a couple of trays.
  • dianamatienzo
    dianamatienzo Posts: 127
    Options
    Treating oneself to junk food every once in a while is nothing bad :) Anyway, I would just weigh them. Weighing food is the most accurate way of accounting for it. Even using measuring cups and such can be VERY inaccurate. Definitely invest in a food scale! :D
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'd eat the whole bag......
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    Food scale is definitely worth investing in. I can't be trusted with chips and things (like actual meal food), so weighing them out helps.
    ..didn't really help me this morning; though I do know how much I ate, but! In the long run it does.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Chips & Salsa are the most threatening thing to me...my kryptonite. You can keep your cake, cookies & sweets...chips are where it's at. I love them so much. Doritos, Lays, Cheetos...I gotta be careful with them, so I choose not to have them around. Because I truly can't stop at a handful.

Dear God, if it came between world peace or queso and tortilla chips (sub in guacamole), I fear I would crumble.

37630820.jpg

37630829.jpg
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My food scales are the best thing ever since I started MFP.
    I'm constantly amazed at what does weigh more than I thought and what weighs less than I thought.
    Unfortunately - I've almost given up chips :( I can't believe how little I get for a "serving" and I feel cheated... sometimes I only get 7 or 8 chips - it's hard to make those last long enough for satisfaction!
  • Robin_Anne
    Options

37630820.jpg

37630829.jpg

Thanks for the laugh!! ha, ha, ha
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    If I am going nuts for "chips and dip" I simply get the dip I want and use cucumber wedges for the "chips"
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    make sure you do it and then put the bag away too... no flubbing!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I gave up on processed chips.

I start preparing my own

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/10/10/baked-kale-chips-recipe/

They are very yummy. I share portions with others because there is no way to prepare just individual portions. They like them.

around 100 calories per cup. Recipe says 80 calories but they do not define the amount of Kale

Good luck in your journey
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need a food scale...for more than just potato chips. I weight pretty much everything; counting or using measurements like cups or whatever is an easy way to introduce calorie creep, particularly when you're talking about calorie dense foods like nuts.
  • mkinney07
    mkinney07 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hate counting chips, along with crackers, grapes, basically anything you have to count! I don't mind being conscious while eating, but it seems to require more concentration than I am willing to put in lol. Like when I'm say, watching TV and I just missed something because I was busy thinking about how many crackers I just ate. A lot of times what happens is I lose count and have to guesstimate how many I ate. I think measuring on a scale would be a good idea, though. That way you can pre-measure out how much you're going to eat, so then you can just enjoy what's in front of you. I have a scale I never use, maybe it's time to break it out and be more accurate with my food measurements!