Chia seeds work!!

Options

Replies

• Marlenelin
    Marlenelin Posts: 4
    Options
    Laughing reading this since I just signed up for myfitnesspal today. I bought a Vitamix last week and picked up Chia seeds over the weekend. I'm planning on making smoothies for breakfast using fruits, veggies, nonfat greek yogurt and chia seeds. I also purchased some low carb whey powder although my husband who weighs 128 lbs and is a marathon runner (and thankfully could not run Boston this year because of back problems) says that he has read that whey powder is not good for us. I am diabetic and supposed to be controlling with diet and exercise, and not being very successful at it. I must get 50 lbs off. Marlene
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Login or Register

Food

Fitness

Health

Weight Loss

Lifestyle

Track Calories

Community

Blogs

What's Hot: The Truth About Eggs
    LIVESTRONG Blogs
    Cold & Flu Center
    Must See Videos

Home
    /
    Diet & Nutrition
    /
    Other Supplements
    /
    Chia Seeds
    /
    The Side Effects of Chia

The Side Effects of Chia

0 Comments

Print

May 20, 2011 | By A.M. Tacon

Chia, also known as Salvia hispanica, is a flowering plant native to Central and South America. Chia seeds were important to ancient Aztec and Mayan diets and medicine, as well as Aztec currency. Chia seeds are a source of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. They can be eaten raw, ground and baked into foods. For example, 33 to 41 g per day may be ground and incorporated into bread, which may help prevent cardiovascular disease, states Wellness.com. However, as with any substance, side effects may occur. Consult your physician prior to using chia seeds.

Prostate Cancer Risk

Chia contains a high amount of alpha-linolenic acid, and some empirical investigations indicate that large amounts of alpha-linolenic acid in the diet may increase your risk of developing prostate cancer, warns the University of Maryland Medical Center. Therefore, if you have prostate cancer or are at high risk -- such as having a family history of this disease -- avoid eating large amounts of products that contain alpha-linolenic acid, such as chia. These research findings, however, have not been replicated in other studies; thus, further investigations are necessary to support these preliminary findings.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

How Big Is Your Prostate? Find Out if You are Suffering From An Enlarged Prostate. See Photo MedixSelect.tv

Anti-coagulant Effects

Omega-3 fatty acids are associated with many health benefits. Yet, despite such marketed benefits, omega-3 fatty acids, as those found in chia seeds, are natural blood thinners. Their anti-coagulant properties work by decreasing the "stickiness" or aggregation of platelets that are needed for clotting. Thus, if you are taking blood-thinning medication, such as aspirin or warfarin -- also known under the brand name of Coumadin -- you should first speak to your physician before taking chia supplements. Additionally, if you are scheduled for an upcoming surgery or other medical procedure where blood loss may occur, speak with your physician before considering chia as a supplement. If you already are using chia supplements prior to an upcoming procedure, stop consuming chia and notify your doctor about your use of chia.

Hypotension

Chia seeds can affect your blood pressure. Specifically, chia is associated with hypotension or low blood pressure, according to a 2007 study by V. Vuksan and colleagues as reported in the "Natural Standard Professional Monograph" review. Discuss chia with your doctor if you have blood pressure problems or heart disease.

Gastrointestinal Effects

Chia seeds contain fiber, so gastrointestinal side effects may occur after eating chia products. If you experience such side effects, reduce the amount of chia you consume daily.

Sponsored Links

Asthma Symptoms? Learn About A Treatment That May Help Control Your Symptoms Here. www.Asthma-Control-Treatment.com

Prostate Cancer Stages Know The Early Stages Of Prostate Cancer. Expert Advice & Info Here. symptomfind.com/ProstateCancer

2013 Best Skin Tighteners An Unbiased Review List of The Top Performing Skin Tighteners In 2013 www.SkinCareSearch.com/FaceLifting

Want Rapid Weight Loss? Power-Boost Your Metabolism With A A Simple Thyroid Fix! Learn More. Thyroid-Weight-Loss.com

References
    •Wellness.com: Chia (Salvia Hispanica)
    •University of Maryland Medical Center; Alpha-linolenic Acid; Steven D. Ehrlich; March 2009
    •MedlinePlus; Fish Oil; February 2011
    •"Natural Standard Professional Monograph": Chia (Salvia Hispanica)
    •"Diabetes Care"; Supplementation With Novel Grain Salba; V. Vuksan, et al.; 2007

Article reviewed by Leah Ann Crussell Last updated on: May 20, 2011

0 Comments

Print

Related Searches:Sign of Prostate CancerCures for Prostate CancerBetter ProstateHigh Blood Pressure DietProstate Supplements

Must see: Slideshow & Video

21 Bad Habits You Should Toss Out Today

How to Lose Flabby Arms Without Push-Ups

28 Eating Secrets to Help You Lose Weight

8 Makeup Basics for Green EyeseHow

Billionaire Tells Americans to Prepare For "Financial Ruin"Moneynews

Do These 7 Things and You'll Get Alzheimer'sNewsmax Health

The Latest In Gray Hair SolutionseSalon

by Taboola

Member Comments

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446829-the-side-effects-of-chia/#ixzz2Skt3ho3c
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    love them! i sprinkle about a tsp in my one serving of oatmeal it keeps me full :) i need to put a tablespoon in though
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I prefer bottled unicorn tears to chia seeds...
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Where to get Chia seeds?
  • anonniemouse
    anonniemouse Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to buy some.
  • 780ck
    780ck Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later. Thanks :)
  • jamiep926
    jamiep926 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I bought a bag of them at Trader Joe's last weekend but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Part of me can't get over the fact that this is the same thing we used to spread on a clay donkey head and wait in vain for the "hair" to sprout.

Thanks for the tips!

That's so funny!! And it's true!!! But give it a try, you won't regret it!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    Best of all, ever since taking chia seeds, I clogged my toilet every other day!!! I am stoked about chia seeds!!

<
    pee'd my pants laughing that thats the best thing of all LOL.

I know, but had to mention it. I usually suffer from constipation and this chia seed is the best thing that ever happen to me!!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet but judging by how excited you are about them I must be missing out!
    Off to the store tomorrow so!

Oh yeah!!! Definitely try!! It has so much benefits!!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    I recently purchased flax seeds and I simply put them in my yogurt. Do you think you can do the same thing with Chia seeds?

Yeah!! As other posts and comments, you can put them in yogurt, shakes, cereal, baked goods etc!!!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    Chia seeds can be used as an egg substitute in baking. 1/2 cup water plus 2 tablespoons of chia seeds in a cup. Let gel and you now have the equivalent of 2 large eggs. Fantastic in muffins. I use the whole gel mixture even if the muffin recipe calls for 1 egg. Very moist muffins. Enjoy!

That's fantastic!!! I'll try baking next time!! Who ever chooses to eat my cupcakes will probably clog their toilet too!!!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    What's the daily recommended dose of chia seeds?

I read on webmd and been taking 1 table spoon for breakfast and lunch!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    theres side effects

Yeah being in the bathroom ALOT!! LOL

FO SHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:
  • jamiep926
    Options
    Where to get Chia seeds?

You find chia seeds in trader joes or GNC or other whole food stores. Or as always, the AMAZON.COM!
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I add them to my oatmeal in the morning, my vegetables and salads and protein shakes...pretty much anything you want to add them to......goood stuff, and yes it DOES help keep me full too!!
  • sangeyvang
    sangeyvang Posts: 182
    Options
    My husband's name is Chia. Haha. Anyways, sounds interesting. Will look into it.
  • DankaCibulka
    DankaCibulka Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Sandy307
    Sandy307 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just adding my "2 cents worth" on the topic of chia seeds. I have been using them for a couple of years now and during that time have been able to get off my medication for Ulcerative Colitis...(with my Doctor's blessing of course!) Also, my friend that told me about them has been able to get off her blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds and cut her diabetes meds down by half, again, with her Doctor's blessing. I did stop taking them for a few weeks but within that time my colitis flared up so went right back on them again. I like mine in my cereal, but add them to my morning smoothie, baked goods and yes, I did read they could be used as a substitute for eggs in baking but haven't tried that yet.
    I noticed that one person on here was taking them dry followed by lots of water....not sure I would recommend that method as they do have a habit of "clumping" and you wouldn't want that to happen in your digestive tract. They are so easy to add to other foods and in lots of cases are pretty much unnoticed. Added to stews, soups and baking you don't even know they are there.

There is lots of information on the web regarding chia seeds but be careful, some of the sites only want to sell them to you.